Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 06:51 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I've read this post - hence that it reaks of stupidity.

Ignorance of stupidity is shown in worrying what a child is going to do to your precious gun store.

The dumbest f'rs are the adults. Especially those who wish to cause the most hurtful damage. Served up with a side order of fries with a gun store placed in the parking lot of an elementary school. This is a terrorists wet dream come true. And those who are too lazy and paranoid of their own countrymen who can't drive to the outskirts to buy thier guns, are to blame. The line in the sand is between those who fully respect the second amendment to fit into American culture, and those who have nothing left in their miserable existence in this country but to argue that every 1st grader should get a Glock with their box of crayons.

This is disgusting, tasteless, and is stained with the blood of every child murdered in this country. Those who support this display of selfish ignorance, need to visit Sandyhook, CT. And should take the second amendment and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Well, you've certainly drawn the line in the sand, and it sounds to me like the only two camps in your head are those who hate guns and love children, and those who want all children to die.

Ridiculous.

There have been many posters on this thread who don't actually like guns (myself included) who support the rights of this store owner. And, in no way, does that mean I want any child to be in danger or injured.
And for you to insinuate that anyone who does not side with you wants children to die is disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 07:05 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,461,748 times
NC211 -- not everyone can hide in their "gated country club community in Leesburg". There are plenty of people living in less privileged areas who need a gun for protection. Remember, even Cathy Lanier, DC Chief of Police, admitted that police cannot always get there fast enough.

There's a gun store in Purcellville now less than 1/2 mile from the high school. Didn't hear a peep about it from residents.

BTW -- a terrorist's "wet dream" is actually a gun free zone.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Incontrovertible proof?? No, not at all. All I am looking for is a rational explanation why a gun store 100 feet from a school is less safe than a gun store 1000 feet from a school. Just trying to understand what those specific 900 feet represent.
It's 900 additional feet to intercept someone who has just bought firearms with a bad intent and started to act upon that bad intent. It's 900 additional feet that makes it harder for the 2A partisans to instill the intended message for kids that buying and selling firearms and ammo is routine commerce.

You live out in Middleburg, so perhaps you don't know the variety of retail space available in McLean and Falls Church, but to pretend it's a coincidence that NOVA Firearms has landed twice in a row on store locations right near schools is a joke.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Well, you've certainly drawn the line in the sand, and it sounds to me like the only two camps in your head are those who hate guns and love children, and those who want all children to die.

Ridiculous.

There have been many posters on this thread who don't actually like guns (myself included) who support the rights of this store owner. And, in no way, does that mean I want any child to be in danger or injured.
And for you to insinuate that anyone who does not side with you wants children to die is disgusting.
Yes, you support the rights of the gun owner, to the extent that you ignore the fact that he didn't secure his premises and allowed his store to be burglarized by a petty crook who was committing a string of robberies (at gun point) of hardworking Americans along the East Coast.

No wonder the only thing you want to debate is whether it makes a difference in terms of safety that the store is within 100 feet of a school as opposed to several blocks away.

Transparent, pathetic, and totally out of touch with the common-sense solutions that this country will eventually embrace when it finally gets tired of all the unnecessary gun-related deaths in the U.S. of A.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:05 AM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
It's 900 additional feet to intercept someone who has just bought firearms with a bad intent and started to act upon that bad intent.
Do you really think anyone is going to buy a gun, sit on the steps of the store to load it, and then hop the fence? As opposed to driving somewhere else? That the 900 feet means anything to anyone but you?

Quote:
It's 900 additional feet that makes it harder for the 2A partisans to instill the intended message for kids that buying and selling firearms and ammo is routine commerce.
First, buying and selling firearms and ammo is routine commerce.

The store is not on any reasonable walking route of any children who would be going to that school. Kids have no reason to circle the block to see the gun store (and how many of them are walking to the elementary school anyway). It's not visible from any of the play areas.

Even if they were to sneak to the backside of the school (which would indicate pretty poor school security), they would have to peer through a fence blocked by vegetation and somehow guess that the rear side of the building they saw was a gun store.

Unless someone makes a point of it to them, they're unlikely to realize the store even exists on the other side of the city block.

Quote:
You live out in Middleburg, so perhaps you don't know the variety of retail space available in McLean and Falls Church, but to pretend it's a coincidence that NOVA Firearms has landed twice in a row on store locations right near schools is a joke.
It's probably not coincidence, it's far more likely the economics of local commercial rentals and zoning.

Or are you implying that the gun shop owners are deliberately hoping to sell a gun to someone who will leap the fence and shoot up the school?

Old 12-23-2015, 08:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,602 times
Quote:
but to pretend it's a coincidence that NOVA Firearms has landed twice in a row on store locations right near schools is a joke.
So you think it's not coincidence and they're opening near schools on purpose?? Why?

Also, the 2nd location in Falls Church City is like 4 blocks away from St James. Not close at all. Mad Fox Brewery is closer. If you want to discuss dangers to our kids, it's probably more likely someone stumbles out of there drunk and runs over a kid leaving St James on his way home. Why is nobody outraged a brewery is so close by a school?

This thread is weird. I've now learned that anti-gun extremists are just as bad as the gun nuts who insist on owning AK-47s

Old 12-23-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Do you really think anyone is going to buy a gun, sit on the steps of the store to load it, and then hop the fence? As opposed to driving somewhere else? That the 900 feet means anything to anyone but you?
There are many jurisdictions that prohibit gun stores as close to schools as NOVA Firearms is to Franklin Sherman and proposes to be to St. James.

You have your head well up your posterior if you think opposition to this store's location matters only to me and a few others on this thread. There's a petition with over 2600 signatures opposing the store's location, and most of the signatures are from local community residents (and include the wife of the state governor). There are community groups in both McLean and Falls Church opposing the store's location. There are two school PTAs in the area (to which neither I belong) that have adopted resolutions opposing the store's location. And, as noted, every local candidate for public office who publicly opposed the store's location so close to a school won his or her November 2015 election. My views are squarely in line with most in the affected communities.

Quote:
First, buying and selling firearms and ammo is routine commerce.
It is permitted commerce under Virginia law. That does not mean it is routine and should not be regulated. The Supreme Court has made it clear that its Second Amendment decisions do not prohibit the regulation of who can buy firearms and where they can acquire them.
Quote:
The store is not on any reasonable walking route of any children who would be going to that school. Kids have no reason to circle the block to see the gun store (and how many of them are walking to the elementary school anyway). It's not visible from any of the play areas.
Wrong. It is along a route that some students walk past, and many others are driven past by bus, so they know guns are present very, very close to their school and that people they do not know are going to that store to buy and sell them. And, of course, their parents cannot and should not shield them from the stories about gun-related violence at schools like Sandy Hook.

Quote:
Or are you implying that the gun shop owners are deliberately hoping to sell a gun to someone who will leap the fence and shoot up the school?
I'm not implying, I'm affirmatively asserting that these clowns deliberately lease retail spaces near schools, when they have other options, knowing that local residents will object and then seeking to capitalize on the free publicity it generates. They don't adequately secure their premises, they don't participate in local community events, and they have already proven themselves to be the nuisances that most expected they would turn out to be.

Last edited by JD984; 12-23-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
So you think it's not coincidence and they're opening near schools on purpose?? Why?

Also, the 2nd location in Falls Church City is like 4 blocks away from St James. Not close at all. Mad Fox Brewery is closer. If you want to discuss dangers to our kids, it's probably more likely someone stumbles out of there drunk and runs over a kid leaving St James on his way home. Why is nobody outraged a brewery is so close by a school?

This thread is weird. I've now learned that anti-gun extremists are just as bad as the gun nuts who insist on owning AK-47s
909 West Broad Street is not four blocks away from St. James. It is diagonally across the street.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/90...12bc37b7124fa0

Labeling people who oppose a gun store's location so close to a school "anti-gun extremists" is cheap rhetoric. They are concerned parents and community members. If you are concerned about "gun nuts" who purchase AK-47s, then perhaps you might ask yourself why you're so sanguine about NOVA Firearms operating 100 feet from an elementary school your own kids don't attend, when it heavily markets the sale of semi-automatics and double-barrel shotguns.

Citizens Group Forms to Oppose New F.C. Gun Shop Near School - Falls Church News-Press Online

Last edited by JD984; 12-23-2015 at 08:44 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 08:28 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:

No wonder the only thing you want to debate is whether it makes a difference in terms of safety that the store is within 100 feet of a school as opposed to several blocks away.

I'm not saying it is the only thing I want to debate. I am saying it is the only debate appropriate for this thread in the NoVA forum. Feel free to go to the Politics or Current Event forums for the overall "guns are evil" debate. It doesn't belong here.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,602 times
Quote:
909 West Broad Street is not four blocks away from St. James. It is diagonally across the street.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/90...12bc37b7124fa0

Labeling people who oppose a gun store's location so close to a school "anti-gun extremists" is cheap rhetoric. They are concerned parents and community members.

Citizens Group Forms to Oppose New F.C. Gun Shop Near School - Falls Church News-Press Online
I was looking at the other gun shop on route 7 next to Mad Fox. So this one is 2 blocks away, and on the other side of a major street. I do think you're an extremist for spending so much energy on this topic. What exactly do you think will happen with these gun shops? I still don't understand the danger. There are many things we can do to stop this shift in gun culture and try to make it a safer world for our kids but moving the gun shops to the outskirts of town will literally have zero impact. If anything all this protest is doing is pissing off the pro gun crowd and encouraging them to buy more guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia