Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 12:52 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,292,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
And I should reiterate from my OP that I'm not particularly anti-gun even though I don't like the idea of it being next to a school. But protesting at local meetings, driving cars with abortion photos, standing in a meeting with a rifle slung over your shoulder, looking like some sort of Private Pyle? Get out of here.

The owners lost any real sympathy I had for them when, in the wake of all this, they decide to open another one across the street from another school. Similar to this situation, I'm gathering they had a prior location which was further away. Once could be an unrealized potential mistake, but in the wake of the uproar, twice isn't an accident. Now my first thought is they're just trying to be as obnoxious as possible for the publicity. The owners can go destitute for all I care.
They were in Falls Church in a small house that housed Bedo's Leatherworks prior to moving to McLean. That previous location is now the location of The Gun Dude at 412 West Broad right next to Mad Fox.

The new location is another small house that used to contain US Penny and Coin Services at 909 West Broad next to Hole in the Wall Books and across from St James parish and catty corner to St James school.

Just some info to clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 12:59 PM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Hundreds protest firearms being sold near school in McLean

This has people up in arms in DC Urban Mom, and of course, there's the usual idiocy on Fairfax Underground. I didn't see anything here, but I'm curious what folks here think.

I'm not particularly pro or anti-gun, but I side with the protesters on this one. I don't have a problem with the business itself, NOVA Firearms has been in McLean for years, a fact that I'm not sure some protesters are aware of. Their original location was about three blocks away. Some of the protesters who are taking the "No gun shops in McLean" stance probably need to be made aware of that.

At issue is the new location is in the backyard of an elementary school. Google Map the following address:

1389 Chain Bridge Road, McLean VA 22101

You can see, it is something like 100 feet from the elementary school gym or cafeteria, I wasn't clear on which. While I'm not sure I can express a specific reason why I'm against this (I have no idea about crime rates near gun shops, near schools that are near gun shops, etc.) the whole proximity thing just doesn't sit well with me. My children do not attend this particular elementary school, though I am an area resident.

I'm not expecting a sudden surge of degenerate gun buyers who are going to make purchases and start shooting up the school, which some of the more hysterical comments seem to be saying. The shop is only relocating from a few blocks away. But like I said, something about it just doesn't sit well with me.

Thoughts from anyone else?
Does anyone think the kids are going to leap the fence behind the school to get to the gun shop? Otherwise, it's still a roundabout three-block walk from the school entrance. It would not be on any kid's normal route to and from school.

I don't know about the specific rules of that gun shop, but most in my area are pretty paradoxically negative about customers handling their own guns in the premises of the shop. Their problem is that with such a significant number of gun-owning customers, they're even more careful about restricting customers from handling their guns (given 100 customers who swear their guns are unloaded, at least five won't be). They have insurance costs to worry about. My point is that gun handling in and immediately around the shop is likely to be more careful than other places in an open-carry community.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:11 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,396,164 times
Quote:
How welcoming of them, something they should cease immediately. I stand by the above, if you can't produce an ID showing you actually live there, you shouldn't be allowed to attend a local citizens meeting.
Well said, but I dont think it is enforcable in the practical sense. That aside, though I have not seen their clientel, I dont think the gun shop is a safety risk.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:05 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,461,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
They should just start militarizing the kids in Kindergarten. Bring instructors over to show them how to shoot AR-15s so that they can protect themselves in the event of the next school shooting.

I'm sure the right would think that's perfectly reasonable. Little Johnny is just a god-fearing patriotic American defending his right to bear arms! Any regulation at all is indefensible. Maybe start in preschool?

Little out there on the hyperbole but I'd much rather have gun safety taught in schools than "there is no God but Allah" in "calligraphy class". It was fairly common to teach gun safety and have rifle and skeet clubs until the 1970s.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:40 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,736,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Little out there on the hyperbole but I'd much rather have gun safety taught in schools than "there is no God but Allah" ...
I learned this (and the other four pillars of Islam) in a Texas public high school. I'm glad I did. Any educated citizen should know the basic beliefs of the world's major religions.

I did learn gun safety as well--in Boy Scouts. I think it's a great thing for kids to learn, but there's no practical way it'll ever be taught in public schools, due to legal liability and parental opposition. And that's their right. Plus, let's be honest: Some of the little hellions would shoot each other.

That said: I would love it if schools taught a classroom course covering just the facts attendant to various current controversies. They would have to learn what an "assault weapon" is according to most state laws (essentially, a gun that looks mean but is no more or less lethal than any other) along with what "evolution" really is (changes through time, incontrovertibly observable among life on earth by anyone whose mind is open to facts).

Ignorance knows no political party.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 12-18-2015 at 02:54 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 02:50 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

Ignorance knows no political party.
That's not true! Ignorance is best buds with both major political parties in this country!

Old 12-18-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
That's not true! Ignorance is best buds with both major political parties in this country!
Alas, you're totally right! Shoulda said "Ignorance is a party where everyone's invited and where some never leave."

Old 12-18-2015, 03:20 PM

Learning about comparative religions is different than unknowingly writing praise to Allah in Arabic.

Isn't the Declaration of Independence written in calligraphy? Perhaps a better choice.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Learning about comparative religions is different than unknowingly writing praise to Allah in Arabic.
Sort of like making kids say "one nation under God" (language that's only been in the pledge since 1950)? And hey--Islam is an Abrahamic religion, so it's the same God as the one worshiped by Christians and Jews.

What offends me is the teaching of calligraphy. I'm serious. What a waste of freaking time. Might as well teach them origami and yodeling.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Sort of like making kids say "one nation under God" (language that's only been in the pledge since 1950)? And hey--Islam is an Abrahamic religion, so it's the same God as the one worshiped by Christians and Jews.

What offends me is the teaching of calligraphy. I'm serious. What a waste of freaking time. Might as well teach them origami and yodeling.

Sorry, origami and yodeling have to wait for college. http://www.oberlin.edu/amam/asia/cra...ect-rubric.pdf ($64k/yr btw)

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 12-18-2015 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia