Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:04 AM

147 posts, read 255,916 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking for recommendations for a doctor and hospital for her pregnancy. This is our first experience with this process (excited and a little nervous!).

She prefers a female doctor for her prenatal care. We are hearing that you may not even see the same doctor throughout your prenatal appointments, esp. with large practices. It would be ideal to have the same doctor deliver the baby but I believe that depends which doctor is on-call. We really prefer to have the blood lab and ultrasound in the doctor's office - it would save time from doing an extra trip to another facility/appt. Does anyone have a doctor and practice to recommend?

We are deciding between Alexandria Inova vs. Fairfax Inova hospital. We heard that Fairfax is bigger/nicer and is getting a new women's facility next year. But Alexandria is closer to home for us (about 7 mins vs. 25 mins). We are willing to travel a bit further if it makes a significant difference for a low-risk pregnancy. Otherwise, it would be much more convenient to be nearby. Does anyone have experience with the maternity unit at either hospital to share?

Any advice would be helpful. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 07:22 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,234,936 times
The doctors I know (that are good) don't accept new patients that are already pregnant. Is she not happy with her current gynecologist?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:30 AM

She likes her current GYN doctor but the doctor only covers general women's health. So we are now looking for an Obstretician doctor.

My wife is newly pregnant...just found out recently. Looking to schedule first prenatal appt at the end of the month.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:32 AM

We were told about two local practices....Physicians & Midwives and Capital Women Care. Has anyone used them for their prenatal and delivery? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:32 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,234,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalhockey View Post
She likes her current GYN doctor but the doctor only covers general women's health. So we are now looking for an Obstretician doctor.

My wife is newly pregnant...just found out recently. Looking to schedule first prenatal appt at the end of the month.
I would absolutely get a recommendation from her GYN.

(oh, and congrats!)

Old 10-06-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I would absolutely get a recommendation from her GYN.

(oh, and congrats!)

Thanks!

Her GYN told us about those two local practices (Physicians & Midwives and Capital Women Care). From our research, they are mega-practice with 10 plus doctors on staff. We are wondering if anyone have prior experiences with them or with another practice that they would recommend.

We are hoping for a smaller practice (3 to 4 doctors). A more intimate relationship as oppose to a mega practice where you see a different doctor with every visit.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:03 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,265,207 times
I'm happy with Capital Women's Care.

Recommend you check DCUrbanMom and the NOVA Board on Baby Center to get more baby specific recommendations.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:12 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,469 times
Physicians and Midwives is the better of those two. Fairfax has a very high c-section rate at about 40%. They have an amazing NICU though.

You should not have any trouble finding a practice. Most Obs take women at any stage of pregnancy.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,479,072 times
My GYN is Dr. Ferrier at Old Towne Obstetrics & Gynecology. I see her for GYN appointments only (not obstetrics) so my recommendation comes with that caveat. She knows her stuff. She is pleasant but she isn't "warm and fuzzy". That's just something to think about if you want a doctor that is warm and fuzzy.

Also, she is the only doctor in that practice and she's affiliated with Inova Alexandria.

Old Towne Obstetrics and Gynecology | Privia Medical Group

If you Google her name, you'll see that she gets positive reviews on the various rating websites.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:11 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,438,086 times
Personally I would go with Fairfax as it is magnitudes larger and delivers far more babies. Alexandria is smaller community hospital and really a just a subsidy of Fairfax. You have some staff that may work at both hospitals depending on departmental needs. Any child with a major complication will be sent to Fairfax anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia