Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:53 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
I would checkout the Mosaic/Merrifield area, less busy than Tysons and not too far from your job.

Taxes on an 11 year old car will likely be well under $200 unless it's really high end.
Is it metro accessible? It doesn't appear to be but I don't know the area at all. It's better than Tyson's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 07:03 AM

526 posts, read 901,052 times
The Mosaic District was built around the Dunn Loring metro station. It's newer and much smaller than Tysons but looks quite nice at a quick glance.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 AM

601 posts, read 593,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Is it metro accessible? It doesn't appear to be but I don't know the area at all. It's better than Tyson's?
I don't think so. It is newer, and smaller. Possibly less expensive, but I doubt much less. Tyson's is a quick drive away from Mosaic if you want to go to any of the restaurants or shops there.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:40 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Dunn Loring and Merrifield are more or less synonymous. There are some apartment complexes like Halstead Square just outside the Dunn Loring station. The Mosaic development is further south down Gallows Road. It's walkable to the Dunn Loring station, but you have to cross a major road (Lee Highway). Mosaic also runs a shuttle service to the station.

Shuttle Schedule | Mosaic

Not really sure how prices compare as between newer buildings in Mosaic/Merrifield and Tysons.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
Dunn Loring and Merrifield are more or less synonymous. There are some apartment complexes like Halstead Square just outside the Dunn Loring station. The Mosaic development is further south down Gallows Road. It's walkable to the Dunn Loring station, but you have to cross a major road (Lee Highway). Mosaic also runs a shuttle service to the station.

Shuttle Schedule | Mosaic

Not really sure how prices compare as between newer buildings in Mosaic/Merrifield and Tysons.
So what area seems more thriving for young professionals?

Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
The nightlife in Tysons is definitely more quiet than DC. Doubtful you will have 2+ hour waits for brunch or dinner like is common on 14th Street NW & 8th Street SE in DC. The restaurant/bar scene is definitely improving though with Founding Farmers and Barrel and Bushel opening.

I've never really thought much of the Mosaic District (for living anyway) because it's not very walkable to the Metro with the ginormous Gallows Road/Route 29 intersection. At least Tysons has pedestrian bridges over the big intersections there.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:20 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times
The Mosaic District is a bit of a walk to the Metro. There are many apartments closer to Dunn Loring.

Tysons has a lot of traffic (of course) and the entertainment options are getting better. Definitely check out different apartments. I think it's a nice place to live -- very convenient to getting around.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
If I were you I'd explore both Tysons and Merrifield. They're both nice areas that have been developed nicely the past few years. Both have good metro access and beltway access if you need to access that. From either one you're also close to Falls Church City, just a quick shot down route 7 or 29. There are some more things to do there like farmers market, restaurants, parks. Vienna is closeby too. You have some wine shops, brewery, some more restaurants although I think the restaurant scene in Vienna leaves something to be desired. If by peace & quiet you mean you just don't want to be near loud bars or parties or whatever this area will probably fit the bill although it is still crowded and traffic is bad, like everywhere else in the DC Metro area.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:50 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Gotcha. I guess what interests me most about the area is that it would be cheaper tax wise than DC and also cheaper in regards to rent as well. I figure I can save at least $500/month in rent by moving out there.

As far as the area goes, are there a lot of single young professionals living in the area? Would Spring Hill or Tyson's Corner metro be better areas to live in? I don't mind a little hustle and bustle. Just trying to save some money but without sacrificing too much from a quality of like standpoint. As much as I love DC I'm not a fan of the rent prices and high taxes.
I would say the most vibrant part of Tysons right now is the area around Tysons metro, that's where most of the new restaurants and development is happening. Spring Hill is developing by nothing is near by yet. In 5 years the most developed will be East Tysons, but that doesn't help you right now. In terms of rent, 1brs in older apartments can be found in the 1500-1800 range. 2brs in older apartments can be 1800-2100. For new build in one of those fancy new high rise towers with roof top pools, movie rooms, high end fitness centers etc. the 1brs are around $2400, 2brs are around $3300. That being said they are new and trying to fill out so many of the new towers are offering 1month or 2month free with 12month leases right now which effectively drops the rent by $200-400 respectively. Now would be the best time to get one of those deals as when May rolls around they have lots of potential new renters from the college grad market.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I would say the most vibrant part of Tysons right now is the area around Tysons metro, that's where most of the new restaurants and development is happening. Spring Hill is developing by nothing is near by yet. In 5 years the most developed will be East Tysons, but that doesn't help you right now. In terms of rent, 1brs in older apartments can be found in the 1500-1800 range. 2brs in older apartments can be 1800-2100. For new build in one of those fancy new high rise towers with roof top pools, movie rooms, high end fitness centers etc. the 1brs are around $2400, 2brs are around $3300. That being said they are new and trying to fill out so many of the new towers are offering 1month or 2month free with 12month leases right now which effectively drops the rent by $200-400 respectively. Now would be the best time to get one of those deals as when May rolls around they have lots of potential new renters from the college grad market.
Thanks for the feedback. They did the same thing a few years back in Navy Yard and now the rents are through the roof down there. My lease ends next October so I'm not in a rush. I still have some homework to do but DC is starting to get old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia