Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 06:07 PM

9 posts, read 20,218 times

Advertisements

Avoid Tyson's at all costs. Half-baked and poorly planned. Don't buy into the hype. You can do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 11:48 AM

790 posts, read 1,885,298 times
Have you considered Crystal City? They've really worked to get that area spiffed up.

I live in Tysons -- and realize that the traffic can be awful -- but I love the convenience of the area. It's amazingly close to River Bend and Great Falls Parks; Scotts Run; Turkey Run. There's the W&OD Trail, too. I go to Reston a lot, and pop over to Mosaic for dinner or a movie. My friends bring their kids to the Vienna Church Street walk every Sunday. And I can be in Northwest DC fairly quickly by using the Key Bridge. I really do love it.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:45 PM

1,797 posts, read 3,648,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Have you considered Crystal City? They've really worked to get that area spiffed up.

I live in Tysons -- and realize that the traffic can be awful -- but I love the convenience of the area. It's amazingly close to River Bend and Great Falls Parks; Scotts Run; Turkey Run. There's the W&OD Trail, too. I go to Reston a lot, and pop over to Mosaic for dinner or a movie. My friends bring their kids to the Vienna Church Street walk every Sunday. And I can be in Northwest DC fairly quickly by using the Key Bridge. I really do love it.
I'm over DC. I actually find people in NOVA to be much friendlier than people in DC.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:05 AM

318 posts, read 368,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovatransplant View Post
Avoid Tyson's at all costs. Half-baked and poorly planned. Don't buy into the hype. You can do better.
Cool story bro

Old 11-22-2015, 04:07 PM

11 posts, read 7,110 times
Tysons has so much traffic now and its going to keep getting worst. They can't expand route 7 fast enough to accomodate the increase of residents every year. Check out Mosaic if you want to live near Tysons... its a nice little new development that is about 5-7 minutes from Tysons Corner Mall.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:02 AM

1,797 posts, read 3,648,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec_at_MrAringtondotcom View Post
Tysons has so much traffic now and its going to keep getting worst. They can't expand route 7 fast enough to accomodate the increase of residents every year. Check out Mosaic if you want to live near Tysons... its a nice little new development that is about 5-7 minutes from Tysons Corner Mall.
How about Rosslyn? Any good?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,510,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Arlington is way too young for me. I know Clarendon if full of young 20 somethings, Ballston would be too quite for me, and Rosslyn doesn't seem as thriving as Tyson's even though it would be one metro stop away from Foggy Bottom.

Ok great, thanks. I love DC but I'm over the crowds, high rents, and taxes.
I know that if I were young I would love to hang around Clarendon for the evenings but during the day Clarendon does not seem that young to me. Especially around the Whole Foods.

If you are going to move from DC to VA consider buying as well. If you drive Tyson's can be very congested at times. Take a drive around Tyson's at rush hour from Dec 15th-24th and you will see a new level of mass nontransit.

Overall it is a good area and has some hidden gems.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
How about Rosslyn? Any good?
There really are no bad areas in Arlington. Some with less to offer but all should be good. I would consider the entire Orange Line corridor in Arlington, even Clarendon but the rents will be more.

Also the Crystal City/Pentagon City Areas are nice and there may be some deals on Rt 1 between Crystal City and Old Town Alexandria.

Shirlington and Del Ray are places I have a fondness for and I would live on many places on the Columbia Pike corridor closer in. I like the area, it seems walk-able and buses are plentiful. Bob and Edith's is a gem.

Mosaic would be a place I would consider after Tyson's, which would be after all of the places I have listed above.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. They did the same thing a few years back in Navy Yard and now the rents are through the roof down there. My lease ends next October so I'm not in a rush. I still have some homework to do but DC is starting to get old.
Then consider buying. Navy Yard even had a time when a lot of those units in the COOPS are what I would consider VERY affordable.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:02 AM

I forgot to mention Falls Church City. It may be getting a little large now but it is definitely walk-able. It has a lot of places to get food, a few bars and two Metro stations. They are building apartments and condos.

More family oriented than many of the options mentioned but now getting younger as well.

Probably no more expensive than Tyson's though it could be a little cheaper.

Could be moved to top of list. Knocks Mosaic off of my list completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia