Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 4,775 times

Advertisements

My husband has just accepted a contract position in Rockville that will go for at least the next 5 years, I currently work in NW D.C..

We are currently living in Lorton, VA but are at the point where we would like to buy when our lease is up this coming summer. It seems like Reston/Herndon would be the best place to re-locate, but I'm not sure how the commute would be into Rockville. I work odd hours, so I'm not worried about getting into D.C..

Any advice on the commute into Rockville? Is there a better location we should be looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 09:45 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,117,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittsey View Post
It seems like Reston/Herndon would be the best place to re-locate, but I'm not sure how the commute would be into Rockville. I work odd hours, so I'm not worried about getting into D.C..

Any advice on the commute into Rockville? Is there a better location we should be looking at?
I think the commute from Reston to Rockville would be awful. I had done the reverse commute for a year, and I switched jobs to get closer to home. Why not look at living in Rockville, North Bethesda or North Potomac? Even places in North Arlington would be better.

Also look at this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...wn-square.html

If you provide a budget and space requirements, people can help you with a better location.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:52 AM

Thank you! We are starting to consider Maryland, but that does put a bit larger distance than we would find ideal between us and some of our family members - not enough to be a deal breaker, but enough that we hadn't considered it until recently.

We are first time home buyers, and would like to stay around $335K - we could go as high as $350K if it was the "perfect" place. We are looking for at least 3 bedrooms, plus an additional space to use as an office. We are open to either single-family or town homes, but do not want to purchase an apartment or condo.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:20 AM

170 posts, read 199,799 times
It's going to be hard to find that wishlist in Herndon and Reston. Combined with the commute (and your own commute), you're much better off looking at Silver Spring, Wheaton, etc.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:35 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,254,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffx rez View Post
It's going to be hard to find that wishlist in Herndon and Reston.
I just checked in Reston and there are 3 townhouses that have 3 bedrooms and 1.5 baths currently on the market under $350K. Not much to chose from in Reston that fits your wishes and price range, plus the commutes for both would be terrible. I suggest Maryland.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:50 AM

Thank you! We will refocus on Maryland!

Old 10-21-2015, 11:55 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,117,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffx rez View Post
It's going to be hard to find that wishlist in Herndon and Reston. Combined with the commute (and your own commute), you're much better off looking at Silver Spring, Wheaton, etc.
Agreed. I'll add Cloverly, Calverton, Beltsville and Greenbelt to that list.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:58 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,463,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittsey View Post
My husband has just accepted a contract position in Rockville that will go for at least the next 5 years
It seems like Reston/Herndon would be the best place to re-locate
These two sentences are at odds with one another. I am not sure how you came to the latter conclusion, but it appears commute was not one of your factors.

I agree with the others - look at Maryland.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:11 PM

6 posts, read 13,943 times
The commute from Reston to Rockville is one of the worst in the region. Driving the American Legion bridge twice a day during rush hour is a complete and utter nightmare. Also tack on $7 a day in tolls for the Dulles Toll Road (with future rate hikes a near certainty). A short commute saves your wallet, your time, and your sanity. Move to Rockville; there is no better alternative.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
These two sentences are at odds with one another. I am not sure how you came to the latter conclusion, but it appears commute was not one of your factors.

I agree with the others - look at Maryland.
I am not familiar with the commute across any bridge but the 14th St. into D.C. (and even that commute is before/after rush hour truly hits), so that's why I came here - to ask people with experience! I can look at a map and estimate the travel time (hence Reston), but it's hard to tell the actual travel time figuring in for traffic, average delay due to accidents etc.

I did think the Silver Line going-up in Reston might make it easier to get into Rockville that way, but maybe not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia