Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:41 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I don't know anyone who would think that Reston is as popular with young people as Arlington.
I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Reston is not as isolated from social life as it used to be thanks to the Metro being expanded out to Reston. A big question for you, IsThisNameTaken, is is your office in Reston located within walking distance of the Metro in Reston? If so, you could live in Arlington and have a 30 minute commute on the Silver Line. Even parts of DC would be under an hour. But if your office isn't close to the Metro and would require a bus transfer, then that commute might take too long to be worth it. In that case, however, you could live within walking distance of the Reston Metro, have a short drive to work, and then be able to take the Metro into town on weeknights and weekends.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I only suggest what I know and when I think it is appropriate. The OP works in Reston as was considering the commute from Hell - Silver Springs to Reston. My original posting was "give Reston a try" and that the nightlife has improved in the last few years (so don't be swayed by old data).
Nightlife has gone from nonexistent to cool happy hours for 30 somethings or hanging out at wine bars. Still, not helpful for a 23 year old who wants to be in an area with an exciting nightlife. I would not suggest Silver Spring either, however Reston and SS aren't the only 2 options. You could be doing a disservice to him by suggesting 'give RTC a try' if it's really not what he's looking for.

The ONLY reason he should consider Reston is if a short commute is the priority and he's happy staying in most weeknights. If living near other people in their early 20s and having social scenes filled with those people are important he needs to give somewhere else a try before Reston. The suggestion from someone else to live in Reston and just metro or drive to Arlington/DC will get old if he's trying to go out a lot and socialize.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I still think it's interesting how everyone is prioritizing nightlife over everything else. The OP needs to decide what is most important and what is less important. From what I understand Cost is most important, and that should include tuition costs in the total. What's next on his list? Commute, or night life? Isn't night life just a luxury that could be easily sacrificed by just driving to places you want to go? Is it really that important that everyone around me has to be my age? I think I would just want a nice place that I could afford, with a reasonable commute while studying. Let's not forget the commute to College Park as well. I like Reston, but something says to me that that may not be the right choice for the OP. Tuition is a huge factor here. I think he should live in Maryland until he's done with the degree and then move to this side. Unlike some here, it seems, I have actually done a MD to VA commute regularly, and also done a VA to MD commute regularly. I'm done with that now, but it was something that can be tolerated for the year or two he needs to finish his studies. Part of the commute would be a reverse commute, but only part of it. Bethesda is expensive, but so is everywhere else in this area, in my view. N Bethesda, or even Rockville, or Silver Spring, and other areas can work for the OP. I only said Bethesda or North Bethesda because they're not far from the bridge. If tuition is not a major factor (the OP said it was though) then I would never recommend a commute over the bridge. Bethesda does have access to more than one bridge though. That's just my thoughts.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:33 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I still think it's interesting how everyone is prioritizing nightlife over everything else. The OP needs to decide what is most important and what is less important. From what I understand Cost is most important, and that should include tuition costs in the total. What's next on his list? Commute, or night life? Isn't night life just a luxury that could be easily sacrificed by just driving to places you want to go? Is it really that important that everyone around me has to be my age? I think I would just want a nice place that I could afford, with a reasonable commute while studying. Let's not forget the commute to College Park as well. I like Reston, but something says to me that that may not be the right choice for the OP. Tuition is a huge factor here. I think he should live in Maryland until he's done with the degree and then move to this side. Unlike some here, it seems, I have actually done a MD to VA commute regularly, and also done a VA to MD commute regularly. I'm done with that now, but it was something that can be tolerated for the year or two he needs to finish his studies. Part of the commute would be a reverse commute, but only part of it. Bethesda is expensive, but so is everywhere else in this area, in my view. N Bethesda, or even Rockville, or Silver Spring, and other areas can work for the OP. I only said Bethesda or North Bethesda because they're not far from the bridge. If tuition is not a major factor (the OP said it was though) then I would never recommend a commute over the bridge. Bethesda does have access to more than one bridge though. That's just my thoughts.
I just read the references to grad school as being a possibility for some time in the future. I certainly would not put up with a grueling commute from Maryland to Reston for years just because I might want to go to grad school in five years and viewed College Park as one option. Silver Spring is just too far away; I'm not sure Bethesda has that much more going on for 20-somethings than Reston; and Rockville strikes me as a step down in terms of amenities to even Tysons/Dunn Loring.

But you are absolutely right, of course, that no one should only consider the nightlife if you need to work, pay rent, and potentially save up for more schools or a place to buy later.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:42 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
If he wants to establish MD residency and can tolerate a boring suburb, why not live on the MD side and commute over via Route 15 or White's Ferry?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:31 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,229 times
No one is arguing that Arlington isn't great for young people; it can be. I'm in my mid twenties and would always go out there or the city. I also couldn't afford it so I lived elsewhere when I was his age. I would also go out 2-5 times a month versus my commute which happened every day. And a reverse commute from Fairfax to Arlington (or from Reston to Arlington I can imagine) is no cake walk. It may not be the same back up as a normal commute but I imagine it could easily clock in at 45 minutes to an hour.

Grad school depends on the program. Some grad programs charge the same for in state and out of state tuition. Also, he could possibly get his employer to pay for grad school. Or he could go to a VA school instead. Undergrad and graduate schools have very different feels and cultures. Would OP still be working while in grad school? If so, he wouldn't be close to school or his job living in Silver Spring or Arlington.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:36 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I'm in my early 30s. I was in my early 20s when I moved to NOVA (lived in Manassas, then Alexandria, then Woodbridge, then Sterling within about 10 years). I think my age is less of a factor than my basis for comparison having come from a very, very small town. I had zero interest in living in DC, personally. All the suburbs in NOVA had everything I needed within a 20-minute drive, which, compared to where I grew up, was amazingly convenient. I'm perfectly happy socializing at a bar at, say, Jackson's. I've never been one for the club scene. The definition of "exciting" can vary based on your background. I was just pointing out that, from my experience, Reston is not the "middle of nowhere."
Thanks for the clarifications. This is just a case of "different strokes for different folks". I simply tired of Jackon's, Clyde's, Jackson's, Clyde's, Jackson's, Clyde's for happy hours and socializing. Our favorite hangout became Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, but it wasn't within reasonable walking distance. I wanted more out of life at 22 as a single male than "being a quick drive to GIANT, Barnes & Noble, Chick-Fil-A, and Pottery Barn."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
OK - I'm not in my 20's anymore. But I DO LIVE in Reston NOW! You lived in Reston many years ago. I have seen amazing changes in Reston Town Center in the years since you left. My suggestion to the OP was to live in the heart of Reston Town Center where he could walk around the corner for happy hour, dinner, a movie or shopping.

Here are a few Meet Up groups aimed for young people to socialize in the Reston area.
Reston Social Scene (Reston, VA) - Meetup
Eclectic Activities for 20-Somethings of NoVa (Herndon, VA) - Meetup
Singles in the Suburbs (Reston, VA) - Meetup
NoVa Singles (Reston, VA) - Meetup
It's encouraging to hear that Reston is now a fun urban oasis for hip young people since I left several years ago. I'm not being sarcastic. To me Reston was a place for everyone EXCEPT 20-somethings when I lived there. It was great for children, 30-somethings settling down to rear their children, retirees, middle-aged DINK's, etc., but it always felt like 20-somethings were overlooked. I'm glad Reston is now right up there with The District and Arlington for nightlife for 20-somethings since I left.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:35 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Ok, I've certainly said this before, but I feel it needs repeating. I moved here at 22, and went my entire 20s (and 30s) without living in (or even frequenting) Arlington or DC. And despite my non-exposure to (what many people feel like are) the only hotspots a young person will enjoy, I managed to make many friends my age, find someone who I would marry, and have a pretty active nightlife.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:54 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Ok, I've certainly said this before, but I feel it needs repeating. I moved here at 22, and went my entire 20s (and 30s) without living in (or even frequenting) Arlington or DC. And despite my non-exposure to (what many people feel like are) the only hotspots a young person will enjoy, I managed to make many friends my age, find someone who I would marry, and have a pretty active nightlife.
Other people have different tastes than you. There's a lot of single people for whom Arlington or DC is the best option and the rest of the area is boring. Others might be looking for something different and be content with other parts of the area.

Last edited by stateofnature; 01-08-2016 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia