Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:58 AM

313 posts, read 552,416 times

Advertisements

If hubby is former military get him signed up on the USA JOBS asap. Military service is a huge boost when applying for federal employment and jobs in general. This area in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 11:13 AM

540 posts, read 791,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter9453 View Post
If I were to be full time here, Winchester would be about a13,000 increase. The town we live in I don't like....and there is no where else in Illinois that appeals to me. Also, Illinois taxes are extremely high...not a great place to live.
IL property taxes seem to be high. Income and sales taxes seem to be in line with VA. Does IL have a personal property tax? We pay a tax on the assessed value of our cars here, which kind of subs for other taxes. Taxes are a terrible reason to move in general. If you flat out don't like living in IL and you are ok with moving away from your support system, then those should be enough reasons.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:16 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,292,174 times
Quote:
It is Winchester medical center! I took a tour and seemed ok..why is it not a great place to work? I need all the info I can get about the weather....I feel like Chicago is similar regarding weather, except it's worse in the winter. Also, how are the people like in western NoVa? Friendly?
Mnseca hates everything about NoVa and has never said a place he or she likes living.

I have found people to be very friendly here. It's easier too if you have kids to make friends. I come from the South and find people even nicer than where I'm from. The people out farther west are no exception. That area has changed a lot as it used to be much more rural and now has many commuters and is becoming a suburb.

The weather is what it is. The mosquitos have been the worst this year since we moved here in 2011. Generally, I haven't found them to be an issue.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:27 AM

540 posts, read 791,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
IL property taxes seem to be high. Income and sales taxes seem to be in line with VA. Does IL have a personal property tax? We pay a tax on the assessed value of our cars here, which kind of subs for other taxes. Taxes are a terrible reason to move in general. If you flat out don't like living in IL and you are ok with moving away from your support system, then those should be enough reasons.
Actually, after looking further, your income tax will rise going from Illinois to Virginia. Depending on the housing cost, you taxes may end up being a wash, with lower property and sales taxes, but higher income and personal property taxes. So, I guess I'm saying don't use that as a consideration. What would trump that is the cost of schooling. If you can go public in VA rather than private in IL, that will be a huge difference. Just make sure to save up money for babysitters since the family won't be around

Old 07-29-2016, 11:35 AM

239 posts, read 281,847 times
The part of family you can put a price on is plane tickets, which for me is about $4k a year (4 round trip tickets flying on holiday vacations == most expensive fares). But being able to be close to them for child care, advice, or just general support is priceless IMO, that is, if you like them and are close to them.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:29 PM

15,438 posts, read 25,860,216 times
Quote:
It is Winchester medical center! I took a tour and seemed ok..why is it not a great place to work? I need all the info I can get about the weather....I feel like Chicago is similar regarding weather, except it's worse in the winter. Also, how are the people like in western NoVa? Friendly?
Yes, Chicago is usually worse in the winter. The summer is different though. It's not as hot for as long as it is here, most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia