Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:56 PM

28 posts, read 23,778 times

Advertisements

I current live in the Chicago suburbs where I grew up. I'm married with 3 small children. I work part-time in a hospital that I LOVE; My husband and I make about $92000 combined. We live comfortably, in a small house, cars are almost payed off, student loans and mortgage being our only debt. The things is, I don't love the town we live in, the schools are not good so we send our kids to a private school (which is amazing. I absolutely love the private school they go to). All of our family, who are very helpful, live in the area.
We recently visited friends in the DC area and I fell in love with it. I applied to a job and they gave me an offer for 76000 with a relocation package and 40000 in student loan repayment. The town is an hour west from DC (Purcellville) so it's not as expensive as DC, but more than here. My husband wouldnt have a job yet so we would live on my income until he finds something (his work is not high paying). I would have to work full time with a lot of driving time....30 min each way (Winchester), occasionally having to drive about an hour each way (Luray) on a rural road so winter might be horrible. I won't see my kids as much, but the town and schools are wonderful!!!!

What do I do!?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 05:12 PM

15,161 posts, read 27,884,611 times
30 min. drive is NOT a lot of driving time! Not sure what kind of commute you have. If you have a job in Winchester, why wouldn't you look for a house there? (I also don't advise buying a house until you are SURE you like the area and want to stay for at least long enough to not lose money)

Old 07-28-2016, 05:17 PM

The schools are not as good in Winchester and I really like Purcellville. Is it worth the move away from family?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:24 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,696,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter9453 View Post
The schools are not as good in Winchester and I really like Purcellville. Is it worth the move away from family?
I would say probably not.

It is a beautiful area, for sure, and you can't beat the proximity to DC (although it's not super close), but you will probably struggle a bit financially and it sounds as if you will spend more time away from your children than you do now. If you enjoy your family and you benefit from living near them, then I believe that is a HUGE factor to consider.

I would probably only consider doing this type of move if the income increase was substantially more OR the change in jobs was going to increase my changes of further career advancement. Or, lastly, if everything about where you are now is horrible, and it doesn't seem to be the case.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:39 PM

If I were to be full time here, Winchester would be about a13,000 increase. The town we live in I don't like....and there is no where else in Illinois that appeals to me. Also, Illinois taxes are extremely high...not a great place to live.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:05 PM

9,894 posts, read 14,184,219 times
From you multiple posts, it appears you want validation to move. So, why not?

Only you can decide if the increased time away is worth it.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:05 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,012,087 times
Quote:
I current live in the Chicago suburbs where I grew up. I'm married with 3 small children. I work part-time in a hospital that I LOVE; My husband and I make about $92000 combined. We live comfortably, in a small house, cars are almost payed off, student loans and mortgage being our only debt. The things is, I don't love the town we live in, the schools are not good so we send our kids to a private school (which is amazing. I absolutely love the private school they go to). All of our family, who are very helpful, live in the area.
We recently visited friends in the DC area and I fell in love with it. I applied to a job and they gave me an offer for 76000 with a relocation package and 40000 in student loan repayment. The town is an hour west from DC (Purcellville) so it's not as expensive as DC, but more than here. My husband wouldnt have a job yet so we would live on my income until he finds something (his work is not high paying). I would have to work full time with a lot of driving time....30 min each way (Winchester), occasionally having to drive about an hour each way (Luray) on a rural road so winter might be horrible. I won't see my kids as much, but the town and schools are wonderful!!!!

What do I do!?!?!
Think carefully. 30 minutes is considered a short commute here. It will probably be hard for your husband to find a job that doesn't require driving into NoVa, which will be pretty bad with traffic. Also, 76K here is barely enough to live on, and even in Purceville I'm not sure you can feed a family of 5 on that, or buy a house. And I doubt the schools here are as good as your private school. I absolutely hate the schools here so far, but private starts at 20K unless you're really religious. What exactly made you "fall in love" during your visit? What are your expectations for this area; things you don't have in Chicago?

Old 07-28-2016, 06:27 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,293,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Think carefully. 30 minutes is considered a short commute here. It will probably be hard for your husband to find a job that doesn't require driving into NoVa, which will be pretty bad with traffic. Also, 76K here is barely enough to live on, and even in Purceville I'm not sure you can feed a family of 5 on that, or buy a house. And I doubt the schools here are as good as your private school. I absolutely hate the schools here so far, but private starts at 20K unless you're really religious. What exactly made you "fall in love" during your visit? What are your expectations for this area; things you don't have in Chicago?
I would disregard this.

It sounds like you are excited for the move. The debt forgiveness also sounds like a big driver for you. Most people love the schools, and they are generally very well rated. There are non public options of various qualities and flavors too. It sounds like you've thought this through and are looking for a change.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:53 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses! What I like about Loudoun County was the small town feel, the historic downtown and there is so much to do outside....the weather is great too, especially in the winter. That's basically what I'm looking for, small town, charm, lots of families, local farms, great schools.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:33 PM

9,894 posts, read 14,184,219 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your responses! What I like about Loudoun County was the small town feel, the historic downtown and there is so much to do outside....the weather is great too, especially in the winter. That's basically what I'm looking for, small town, charm, lots of families, local farms, great schools.
I, too, live in western Loudoun, and love it. I think you will be very happy here. Your commute will be against traffic, and will be relatively easy. Sounds like a no-brainer, right?

Maybe.

Not sure what your husband does, but most professional jobs are going to be east of Purcellville; likely very far east. Purcellville is considered by most to be very far from the normal job market. If you choose to live there, you must assume his future job would be a pretty far commute. If he is fine with that, then you are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia