Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:27 PM

24 posts, read 30,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
For the 1st year, live near the Pentagon in an apartment. Learn the overall area and real needs.
This is the best advice you'll get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 06:31 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,150,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiccolo View Post
This is the best advice you'll get.

This is good advice.

OP, I'm from here (Tysons-Fairfax since 1957), so have seen it all.
It is scary expensive here and the traffic can be beyond explanation. Costwise, one could compare it to Seattle or
New York, but every city is unique.

A commute that involves Rt 95 or Rt 66 will soon be a cause of anger and frustration, and you will regret it.
Don't fall into that trap! You'll hate life, and homes don't appreciate like they do closer in.
Sure, we all know people here that commute from Harper's Ferry or Fredericksburg.
Don't listen to them. They are fooling themselves about real costs.

OP, I don't know where you live so I can't give you comparables.
A $120,000 house in Lafayette, Louisiana would be $450,000-minimum here. "Here" meaning within a 2-minute drive to the Beltway.
A $275,000 house in Lakewood Ranch, Florida (Bradenton) would be $599,000-minimum here.
Our taxes are high, and we have a very popular personal property tax!

We have 60-year old dumps that you likely wouldn't live in that are going for $400k (tear downs) because of location.
OP, can you relate to this?

OP doesn't mention income. A couple without kids needs $100-120K/yr at a minimum, or you will struggle.

Location relative to your commute trumps all other considerations in the DC housing market.

Come for a visit, but rent close to work initially so you can figure this place out before making any further decisions.

Good luck sincerely!

Old 08-17-2016, 07:55 AM

979 posts, read 1,782,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
A couple without kids needs $100-120K/yr at a minimum, or you will struggle.
Well, that really depends on a LOT of factors. My family of 4 (me, my husband, 2 kids in diapers, plus 2 dogs) did okay in NOVA on $120k. We weren't rolling in cash, but we weren't living paycheck to paycheck, either.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,516,628 times
There are parts of Annandale that may meet your needs. Public transportation is not the best in Annandale but it is fairly close to the Pentagon.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Well, that really depends on a LOT of factors. My family of 4 (me, my husband, 2 kids in diapers, plus 2 dogs) did okay in NOVA on $120k. We weren't rolling in cash, but we weren't living paycheck to paycheck, either.
I agree, it can be done. It just requires more attention to one's priorities.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:23 AM

871 posts, read 2,119,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post

OP doesn't mention income. A couple without kids needs $100-120K/yr at a minimum, or you will struggle.

Um, my family's income is under $100k, and we have more than 2 kids and have a SFH in Lake Ridge. Yes, we budget and practice thrift. However, we are far from struggling to make it work. It all depends on your real needs versus preferences.

Considering that the average household income for 22192 (per City-Data's statistics for 2012) was $77,000, there are a lot of people who are making it work on less than $100,000.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
Um, my family's income is under $100k, and we have more than 2 kids and have a SFH in Lake Ridge. Yes, we budget and practice thrift. However, we are far from struggling to make it work. It all depends on your real needs versus preferences.

Considering that the average household income for 22192 (per City-Data's statistics for 2012) was $77,000, there are a lot of people who are making it work on less than $100,000.
So you're the one! Good to hear you are getting by. I couldn't live that far out. But that's just me.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:13 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,352,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
There are parts of Annandale that may meet your needs. Public transportation is not the best in Annandale but it is fairly close to the Pentagon.
I don't feel safe in Annadale because of the day laborers who loiter around the gas stations, and shops, whom also sit right under the gas pumps and watch you pump gas...annoying

Old 08-19-2016, 09:28 AM

771 posts, read 1,465,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
For the 1st year, live near the Pentagon in an apartment. Learn the overall area and real needs.

I'd go nuts with a Woodbridge commute, but that's me.
I second this advice. If you are not familiar with the area and you don't have to worry about what school your kids will attend (since you don't have them yet) then it's always best to rent a place initially that gives you a chance to become familiar with the region.

I'm going to list a few cities/suburbs you could consider in the Route 7 corridor which is the one I'm most familiar with. In order of how close they are to the Pentagon:

Falls Church
Reston
Sterling
Ashburn
Leesburg
Purcellville

Falls Church and Reston are both close to the metro. Reston is further out so its cheaper, and is about as far as you can get from Washington and still be close to the metro today.

Ashburn is even further out but is a nice and fairly new suburban area with good schools. The metro will be arriving in a few more years.

Sterling is older and the schools are not as good as in the other three, but it has the cheapest housing prices (depends where in Sterling though). It's somewhere in between Reston and Ashburn. No metro access yet, but there are commuter buses that take you to the metro.

I would consider Leesburg and Purcellville to be way too far out for commuting into the Pentagon area. I only mention them because Leesburg is probably the last suburb (or rather exurb) in the Route 7 corridor before it starts getting rural. And Purcellville would be the first town that has a more or less rural feel.

Personally, I wouldn't go further out than Reston if I was commuting to the Pentagon, but then you may need to increase your housing budget.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,474,392 times
I'll chime in with my usual recommendation for this type of situation: If you are OK in a one bedroom, or can stretch your budget to afford a two bedroom, Shirlington may provide great options for people who work at the Pentagon. Private owners of condos and townhouses in Park Fairfax or Fairlington, both very nice complexes with lots of trees and good neighbors, may rent to you within your budget. If you prefer the amenities of a high rise (such as a concierge to receive your packages and provide some security, a gym, and shuttles to the Pentagon or metro), there are several in different price ranges near The Village at Shirlington, which has several good restaurants and bars. Depending on the demand at any given time, they offer lower rent incentives in the form of gift cards, etc. You will pay more here than further out, obviously, but the area is nice and it is convenient, though there is no metro stop nearby (which keeps the prices lower than in other parts of Arlington).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia