Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 4,630 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving next summer to work in D.C. We were originally planning on moving to Woodridge but we're still unsure. We need somewhere that's relatively safe as we would like to grow our family in the next couple of years but we also need somewhere that we can take the metro to D.C. We're very unfamiliar with northern VA and would like some suggestions on where the best places to live would be. We're still lending towards Woodbridge since I have read that the crime isn't as bad there but I don't know if I am being misinformed. If anyone could help me out that would be great. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 11:56 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,485,109 times
It depends on your budget and size/style of house.

Without personal info, it would be helpful to know the ages of children (are you looking for elementary or HS? Special needs?), any significant hobbies (do you have to be close to a good gymnastics place?). How far are you willing to drive to a metro or VRE station? Etc. It helps people suggest areas if they have a clue about your general lifestyle.

Some areas are better for young families, some for executive lifestyle, do you want urban or rural, mountains or water, etc.

Best of luck.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 08-15-2016 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 12:19 PM

201 posts, read 403,045 times
You can't get to DC from Woodbridge using Metro. You would have to take the VRE to Union Station.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:30 PM

Sorry for not including more info. Right now we have no kids but plan to in the near future. I'm not sure how long we will be in the DC area for so at least knowing about elementary schools would help. We are in our mid to late twenties and would like something in the rural area; somewhere that's not entirely crowded. I've never experienced using the metro before so it's definitely going to be something to get used to for me. I would like to live at least within 10-15 min from some sort of transportation into DC. For our budget we're trying to stay under $2000 a month for rent and hoping to rent a house, not a townhouse or apartment.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,873 times
There are no rural areas within 15 minutes f a metro station. I would say there aren't any rural areas with 30 minutes of a metro. VRE expands those options a bit. Woodbridge is not rural.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:52 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,216,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vduke View Post
I would like to live at least within 10-15 min from some sort of transportation into DC.

This is still very vague. Where will you be working?

Fredericksburg has "some sort of transportation" into DC (VRE), but the train ride alone is 1.5 hours. Then add in Metro travel time, walking to an office, and the 10-15 minutes you are getting to the train, you are talking over 2 hours - each way.

Please define the longest commute you wish to make and let us know where you will be working in DC. Location in the city certainly matters to help us point you in the right direction.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
There are no rural areas within 15 minutes f a metro station. I would say there aren't any rural areas with 30 minutes of a metro. VRE expands those options a bit. Woodbridge is not rural.

But there certainly are areas within 15 minutes of "some sort of transportation" into DC. It's probably VRE or commuter bus lines.

Anywhere "rural" headed into DC will absolutely be a long commute.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:13 PM

My husband will be working at the Pentagon and I'm not sure where I will be working yet. Honestly all I'm asking for are some suggestions of some nice cities around DC to look into that doesn't have a crazy cost of living and isn't too far from the metro or VRE so we don't have to drive into DC and deal with the traffic. Rural is preferred but if we can't get that near the metro or VRE that is fine. Also hoping for less than an hour of a commute. Thank you

Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vduke View Post
My husband will be working at the Pentagon and I'm not sure where I will be working yet. Honestly all I'm asking for are some suggestions of some nice cities around DC to look into that doesn't have a crazy cost of living and isn't too far from the metro or VRE so we don't have to drive into DC and deal with the traffic. Rural is preferred but if we can't get that near the metro or VRE that is fine. Also hoping for less than an hour of a commute. Thank you
I understand, and your struggle is understandable and shared by many.

There are many "nice cities" around but it depends on what you like and your price range which you have stated as less than $2000 a month. Urban? Suburban? Walkable? People your age? Lots of families? For suburbia with many families you could find something in Springfield and use the Franconia-Springfield station. For people your age and loving a party scene, you could afford something on the Orange line corridor like Rosslyn or Ballston. If you like a small town feel in a larger city area, City of Falls Church and Vienna are options that you could probably afford and each have their own metro option. If you want plenty of space in an exert you may be able to do a VRE commute from someplace farther out using VRE which I know nothing about. All people would classify these as nice towns. All have fine elementary schools.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
City of Falls Church and Vienna are options that you could probably afford and each have their own metro option.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you are getting a SFH for under $2K in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia