Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 11:42 AM

11 posts, read 13,173 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

We're ready to settle down. Coming from Frederick County MD, there is a chance that we might be relocating to VA in the near future (probably when school ends). I work from home, however drive sometimes to work (Crystal City) when called to. We're not 100% sure yet, but it seems we're liking the houses (and areas) in Manassas/Dumfries areas, and maybe some other areas weve not yet uncovered. I have a few coworkers near here and while the majority say no to Woodridge (no yards, takes forever to get in/out of there), it sounds like I'll be needing to make some compromises between commute times, prices, that nice backyard/basement, etc, as I'm not looking to go farther west or north/south as some have. It also seems that the school qualities and home prices are not a coincidence, so maybe I can get a few opinions on schools in these areas as well (greatershools.org newer comments in some of these areas are very nice, but the scores are low?). Worse case I'll just need to save up.

To give you an idea of what we're after (and hope to see another one pop up again), we've been watching this one which pretty much had most of what we were looking for. Includes a nice backyard (we prefer to grow our own fruits/vegetables), garage, basement, etc). Last year the seller would also drop the price 20k every few months and was hoping the same would happen again (its under contract now ). Though I've heard some not so good news about the commute from there to Arlington VA from these areas (Ive heard mixed opinions on this), and the school ratings seem to be below average (youngest one in preK), the area does seem to fit what we're looking for. As far as the budget, we're trying to stay below 550k as in the link above, though that budget is probably what my issue is. We'll keep watching but wanted to hear recent opinions on these areas.

PS we've also looked into other places such as Gaithersburg/North Potomac, but I dont believe I saw an MD/VA forum here and not up to duplicating this thread.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by LAMINI; 03-02-2018 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 11:52 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
I live in Woodbridge (Cardinal Drive area) and commute to DC. I would definitely avoid the Dumfries area that is on either side of Rt. 1. The Dumfries homes off of 234 are okay. There's just something kind of "seedy" down on the Rt. 1 corridor and the schools reflect that.

Not sure why someone is telling you "No" to Woodbridge and giving you the OK to Manassas. Manassas is one of the harder places to commute from and a longer way to I95 and not great to I66 either.

Are you set on a newer build? This one is for sale near me. No, it is really not as "blue" as the picture looks. Very close to I95. Great elementary school. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M61241-40948

Old 03-02-2018, 01:06 PM

Thanks ChristineVA.

I remember seeing that one pop up but wasnt too impressed with the yard out back, or the lack of one. I'm not sure if I even saw a garage. I failed to mention this up top but just updated my original post, before renting we were in the backyard probably every day and would like to pick that up again (most of our fruits/vegetables were from our own backyard). We dont get this option with what the builder type homes are selling (the less expensive ones have such small backyards to start off with, then require approval and/or a read-through of their HOA manual for limits on gardening). We were planning to drive there this weekend to get a better idea, whenever this weather allows us. We did drive around the Montclair lake area though and thought that was interesting.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:09 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,364,994 times
We used to live in the Ashland community from 2001-2009. It straddles Spriggs Road and feeds into Forest Park HS. The zip code, 20112, is Manassas but it is only about 3 or 4 miles off of 95 along 234 just past Montclair. I never considered Ashland or Montclair to feel “seedy”. We only moved so we could both be closer to work.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMINI View Post
Thanks ChristineVA.

I remember seeing that one pop up but wasnt too impressed with the yard out back, or the lack of one. I'm not sure if I even saw a garage. I failed to mention this up top but just updated my original post, before renting we were in the backyard probably every day and would like to pick that up again (most of our fruits/vegetables were from our own backyard). We dont get this option with what the builder type homes are selling (the less expensive ones have such small backyards to start off with, then require approval and/or a read-through of their HOA manual for limits on gardening). We were planning to drive there this weekend to get a better idea, whenever this weather allows us. We did drive around the Montclair lake area though and thought that was interesting.
So, the homes in this neighborhood are on half acre lots; however, that particular home is on a big corner lot. Most of the yard is in the front and side. I agree, it doesn't have a huge backyard because of that. It does have a 2 car garage.

Montclair is a nice neighborhood.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We used to live in the Ashland community from 2001-2009. It straddles Spriggs Road and feeds into Forest Park HS. The zip code, 20112, is Manassas but it is only about 3 or 4 miles off of 95 along 234 just past Montclair. I never considered Ashland or Montclair to feel “seedy”. We only moved so we could both be closer to work.
Agree. Neither area is "seedy."

Old 03-02-2018, 03:20 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,364,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Agree. Neither area is "seedy."
I just re-read your earlier post and I may have misinterpreted it the first time. Sorry.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:02 AM

3 posts, read 2,816 times
Welcome to Northern Virginia!

As a Prince William County native, I can tell you that we often get eclipsed and minimized by the more "commercialized" and "popular" areas of Northern Virginia (Alexandria, Arlington, McLean, etc.), but there is no reason to not live here unless you have a very specific preference for certain amenities (metro rail service, more nightlife, quicker commute into DC, etc.)

These are just some of the areas I would look into:
Montclair
Spriggs Rd area (Woodbridge)
Graham Park Shores (Near Quantico. Large, beautiful Homes that are a bit hidden from general view. As a native, I was not even aware of these homes until recently.)
Potomac Shores
Four Seasons (Dumfries)
Occoquan

Also, I understand what one of the above posters meant about the Route 1 corridor, especially Richmond Highway in Fairfax County and Jefferson Davis Highway in Woodbridge. However, one great aspect about Northern Virginia is that there are only very small pockets of true poverty here. As fast as you seen one "seedy" area will be as fast as you will see large estate homes.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:46 AM

I'm the "seedy" poster. LAMINI is correct that there are only small pockets of run-down areas (not necessarily impoverished though) that you quickly drive out of. The Rt. 1 corridor between lower Woodridge, Dumfries, up to Quantico has a very blighted look as you travel down it. Then you make a turn and go into a neighborhood and it's fine.

It's is just something about Rt. 1's look that really puts me off. I know that over time, it is going to be revamped such as what is now ongoing farther north by Belmont Bay and through Marumsco. Besides the look of it, living off Rt. 1 in those areas forces you onto Rt. 1 for some of your commuting time directly on Rt. 1 which is not fun. I live 2 miles off of Rt 1 but never have to commute on it and can access the interstate directly from other local roads. But the OP doesn't seem to be commuting often so not a big deal.

Potomac Shores is shaping up to be a beautiful community.

Four Seasons is nice also but is an over 55 community.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:29 AM

Thank you all... we've been back and forth to Woodbridge/Manassas/Dumfries/Montclair areas for at least a month.

We finally got a realtor to show us some homes last weekend... wifey loves one of them and are crossing fingers on it (Manassas, couple miles east of Colgan High School). Theres that balance of price/budget, commute distance/times, schools, quality of the area, shopping, etc, to consider and weigh. However, this was that different house that, after looking at hundreds of houses online and dozens of homes we've visited, we were willing to take our chances even though schools not out for the kids yet. Good for us I guess, having been through what its like to get a place as the school year ends. Its not perfect, but nor do I have the wallet for one (needs new roof in a couple years, unfinished basement, etc).

We put our offer in Sunday, then heard someone else joined and has cash yesterday . I messed up last time we got a place (few houses down from where the Great Mills High School shooting that went down this morning); wifey picked the house (this time) so I have no regrets.

We're crossing fingers and hoping for some luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia