Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 06:39 PM

989 posts, read 455,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^Here's the thing. You are not the only only being put at risk. While I certainly hope you are healthy, you could have the virus and be asymptomatic and thus be putting others at risk. It takes a while for symptoms to assert themselves. If you have family members, you put them at risk because you don't know if you encountered anyone who is infected at one of the stores during your shopping expeditions.

We all are having to change, to some degree, our eating habits during these fraught times. It's not a permanent condition. Eventually, we will get back to normal where going to several supermarkets in one trip won't be an issue.
Those facts aren't lost on me, which is why I'm getting better at consolidating each week and finding the best times to go. I'm down to two stores versus what I did the first 2 weeks when I was out of paper towels and toilet paper (as I'm not a natural hoarder).

Believe me, I'm not solely thinking of myself which is why I strive to shop at 5AM when the Safeway opens. I wasn't within 50 yards of anyone with the exception of the cashier. Mistake was Wegman's at their opening. Never again.

I think all of us are trying to improve our ways, yeah, some of us take more time to get to perfection. There's also other limitations. Like, right now, my freezer is packed to the brim. I couldn't put another frozen vegetable in there if I wanted. I have 4 steaks, 4 pork tenderloins, 6 lbs of chicken, 3 lbs of ground beef, several frozen pizzas and frozen entrees, ice packs for my tendonitis of my ankle, oh and did I mention peas? Peas, lima beans, corn, spinach. Two bags of each that I space out over time. Freezer fits no more than that. I seem to have to go to the store once per week to get the rest. It's way "better" than I do when life is normal. And I know that no one gives two hoots about my guinea pig, but he has a requirement for fresh lettuce of some sort/peppers every day. When he doesn't get it after a while, his front teeth break off. We've already tried that. Silly I know, but sometimes the first store I go to is out of spring mix or the right kinds of lettuce (can't use iceberg). It's actually improving in that area, but the first two weeks there was lettuce hoarding going on. People have gotten over that.

Spouse is still working and must take a lunch in a plastic lunchbox that's portable and can be eaten in the spot he works. No metal. Sandwiches, lunchmeat, bread, PB&J. No thermos allowed. We have tried to buy ahead and freeze bread and stock up on the other things, but they don't last forever and, again, not always available in the one store when you're shopping. Packaged deli meats have been ransacked for weeks, so sometimes you have to go when the deli is open.

I'm sure I could do better, but I'm not there yet. Came here to share stories and not be shamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 09:48 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Giant issues new social distancing policy.

notice to customers

When I've gone there, it's easily no more than 1 or 2 customers in an aisle. This will mainly affect people who come in the first hour of the day and crowd the store.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:09 PM

1st half real estate installment pushed back 1 month

Quote:
The Town of Herndon is considering a plan to extend the due date for property taxes from July 28 to August 28. Fairfax County Board of Supervisors adopted a similar proposal at its meeting on March 24.
link

Old 04-09-2020, 12:15 PM

Trader Joe's in Reston closed after employee tests positive

closed for cleaning

There's also another one downtown that's closed. The chain seems to have a nationwide problem. They risk employees walking out and customers avoiding the store before infections are detected.

link

Last edited by lchoro; 04-09-2020 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-09-2020, 01:52 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
I love TJ's, but I have to admit, I've been avoiding it---too claustrophobic for me these days. Just wish they had curbside pick up. Their customer service is the best, and a friendly staff, too. Really looking forward to my weekly trips there some day in the future. I never thought I'd consider grocery store employees to be among my heroes, but they are near the top of my hero-list now.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:16 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I love TJ's, but I have to admit, I've been avoiding it---too claustrophobic for me these days. Just wish they had curbside pick up. Their customer service is the best, and a friendly staff, too. Really looking forward to my weekly trips there some day in the future. I never thought I'd consider grocery store employees to be among my heroes, but they are near the top of my hero-list now.
Perhaps TJ's has since enacted more effective social distancing policies, but the one in Old Town Alexandria was a mess when I was there a few weeks ago. Completely wall to wall traffic inside, so pretty much no difference than things normally are there.

And grocery store workers and farmers/farm workers/truckers are major heroes during these times (and in general).

Old 04-10-2020, 12:19 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I am on a modified work schedule (7 days on, 7 days off). I've generally been keeping to the house (I have more than enough supplies to last a while), but have ventured out to run, hit the grocery stores (went to Wegmans yesterday), and to take out from local restaurants.
My schedule has changed again. 7 days on, 14 days off. This in order to give us more time at home to notice if we develop any covid-related symptoms since our last day of work. So I'm home more and going out of my mind as I really can't go anywhere.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I went to TJ's this morning at 8:00am. It was "senior hour" so I had to wait until 9:00am. While standing in line next to the door, I got to see what "seniors" actually needed to warrant this risk of becoming infected. At least HALF had cases of wine in their cart. Others only purchased wine and cut flowers. Not much food being purchased. The store was only allowing 30 people in the store at a time.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:43 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Who knew they were only permitted to buy certain things....

Old 04-10-2020, 03:38 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
Picked up my order from Peapod/Giant on Stone Rd. in Centreville. Generally happy with the service. Contactless---cracked the window to hand him a tip (sterilized cash in an envelope). They didn't have the chicken breasts I ordered or the packaged deli meats, but they did have the canned meats and ground beef (of all things). These days I'm glad if they can fill most of the order. The fee was nominal, about 1% of the value of the order. I'm immune-compromised, so I removed the perishables and washed the containers down with soapy water and sanitizing wipes before I put them in the fridge. The rest I can leave in my trunk for a few days. Paper bags will stay on the balcony for a few days. I kind of chuckled at my new found germphobia ways---sort of reminded me of the movie 'Silkwood'----like I was handling plutonium or something, but better to err on the side of caution, I guess. Noticed that about half of the people entering the store weren't wearing face masks----the governor of Maryland and the mayor of the District just mandated their use in public spaces like grocery stores. I think we're not far behind. Stay safe, everyone, and thanks for all the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia