Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 05:09 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,334,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Went to Ohio to move a friends daughter last week. They (Ohio) were locked down and it was no problem. The highways were mostly empty.
I grew up in Ohio and was just looking at their numbers. We seem to be doing better for whatever reason, but I’m not a big statistics person.

Look at this. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wkb...rus-cases/amp/ A county in Ohio with a population a little over 200,000. 153 cases and 9 deaths. Fairfax County by comparison has over a million people, 245 cases and 2 deaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 05:37 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,977,873 times
Taiwan: 23 million people, 306 cases, 5 deaths. Kind of odd that they aren't permitted to be in the WHO. Nice of them to send 10 million masks to the US, which very obviously are helping, despite the CDC being in denial.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:52 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,593,330 times
I've heard that toilet paper and paper towels are restocked before the opening and just before the close at some Costco stores. I think staggering the restocking of shelves is the way to go. The early morning special hours at the opening of the store is an invitation for businesses to come in and hoard in order to resell the products or to use them to bring in customers into their stores. There are probably some quantities being taken up by online orders for pickup and for delivery-to-home.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:00 PM

147 posts, read 255,611 times
Hmmm. I just found out my dentist is closed thru April "per CDC guidelines" and will only accept emergency work.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:25 PM

30,664 posts, read 18,282,617 times
When shopping at Wegmans yesterday, there was a store clerk yelling at the top of her lungs to have people stand 6 feet apart from each other while in line (there is tape on the floor marking such a distance). She didn't have a mask on and, quite frankly should have used a voice enhancer/speaker/intercom system. All I could think was "this can't be good" as her yelling meant that her spit and germs were spreading farther than normal.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:42 PM

989 posts, read 457,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjankis630 View Post
Hmmm. I just found out my dentist is closed thru April "per CDC guidelines" and will only accept emergency work.
Mine is also. So much for my April 20th appointment. I'm not too upset.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:11 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,406,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
When shopping at Wegmans yesterday, there was a store clerk yelling at the top of her lungs to have people stand 6 feet apart from each other while in line (there is tape on the floor marking such a distance). She didn't have a mask on and, quite frankly should have used a voice enhancer/speaker/intercom system. All I could think was "this can't be good" as her yelling meant that her spit and germs were spreading farther than normal.
Yeah... I've always liked Wegmans because in terms of customer service they're superior to their competitors but um... that's been lacking a bit since COVID19 has started. And some of the things they've tried to do to help actually are counterproductive. It's a mess.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:04 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,334,019 times
Do stores seem to be better stocked now? Other than walks around our neighborhood we haven't been anywhere since I went to the grocery store on Friday, March 27.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:41 AM

989 posts, read 457,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Do stores seem to be better stocked now? Other than walks around our neighborhood we haven't been anywhere since I went to the grocery store on Friday, March 27.
It's just spotty. The typical things like paper goods and cleaners are still in high demand and missing for mos t of the time at most stores.

I hit Safeway and Giant at 5:30 and 6:00am this past Wednesday and, between the two stores, lucked out on isopropyl alcohol, toilet paper and paper towels. Those things probably did not last more than another hour. Certain types of fresh meat are hard to come buy such as vacuum packed pork tenderloins. Both my neighbor and I have not been able to get that in 2 weeks. Chicken breasts seem easier to get. I think the stores are really trying and just when it looks like overbuying is lessening, some new news item or further restriction sets in (such as last week's stay-at-home in VA) and another cycle of panic starts. I'm hoping that next week, it eases again a bit. I've done my best to get my shopping down to 2 trips per week: early Wednesday morning before I log on to work, and early Sunday morning at Wegman's. The Sunday trip is the most risky as Wegman's is always crowded.

I guess my biggest problem with trying to stay home more is that the grocery stores are so lacking on various things, that I can get what I need at one store or on one particular day. I try to keep stocked on fresh produce and the stuff just doesn't last. Plus we have a guinea pig who eats two salads a day and keeping his lettuces stocked and in edible condition for a long period isn't easy.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:25 AM

4,442 posts, read 8,142,495 times
We've been utilizing Walmart's mobile pickup as much as possible. They don't always have everything we need on our list, so I'll go to another grocery store if it's really needed. I've only been out grocery hunting once a week to reduce my possible exposure. Most of our shopping is just replenish what we used for the week. My wife is doing a great job of meal planning for the month so we know ahead of time what we need to get. With 2 young kids, we're going through a lot of milk and they're currently limiting to 1 gallon at checkout.

Wife and kids haven't left the house (obviously they're playing in the yard, walks etc) almost 20 days. Told the wife no sense in both of us going out and risking exposure. I've got the big life insurance coverage so I'll take the hit if it comes to that. My wife's parents are going out every few days for stuff. I asked them why they aren't making a list and buying more food at a time. They're response was they only spend 15m at the store for what they need. I guess I'd rather spend longer one time than risk multiple trips a week, but they're grown ups so they can do what they want. They're mid 60s so hopefully they stay healthy.

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but Walmart is instituting some changes: https://corporate.walmart.com/newsro...ial-distancing

As I understand it Costco is limiting children in stores as well. I'm sure other retailers will be following shortly if not already the same policies.

Stay safe out there everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia