Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:34 PM

264 posts, read 856,046 times

Advertisements

I think everyone's a little touchy since some moron posted rather recently with a derogatory question (subject "does it still suck there?").. we're all living here for various reasons- overall, I'll speak for myself, I like it- it offers a mix - I lived here when I was in high school, then working and single and returned now married with kids.. still like it. Is it "perfect"? no- but it offers great job opportunities in our fields and so much to do.. anyone bored here is really not getting out and enjoying the variety of cultural, outdoors etc. opportunities this area offers.. I love visiting CA (from SFO to LAX and in between) but it's not my cup of tea- everyone's different. But one common feature is stating some negatives about the people in the area is not really going to garner a friendly answer. This is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 24,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA.123 View Post
I'll tell you the "vibe" that we get from you. Your from CA and move to VA and expect VA to be like where you are from. First mistake - VA is NOT CA. Second mistake, move to our city and cut everyone down because they are not what you want in a person and the funny part of that is that most likely those people that you think are not healthy, don't jive, etc. are from YOUR state of CA and moved here for a job.

A LOT of us who were born and raised here know what our town was like back in the day. REALLY nice people and a wonderful place to live and raise a family and still is. The city grew and people flocked here for jobs and houses were built everywhere and stores went up everywhere. It is hard to find a person these days who was born and raised here. You complain that the people in VA are not as "laid back" as those in CA. Well, thousands of CA people are now living in VA and they are NOT as "laid back" as you proclaim.

I have only been coming to this board for a month or so and I am just disgusted by people getting on here complaining about how much that they hate living here. The answer is MOVE - we didn't ask you to come here - you chose to. Be an adult. Virginians are some of the nicest people on the planet but unfortunately people from other states chose to move here and complain and b----h non stop of how much they hate it and give us a very bad reputation.
Gosh, I'm sorry. This place is not that bad. Had a great time in DC today walking around the National Mall! The museums are some of the best I have ever seen!

Moderator Cut: Prejudicial Remarks

By the way this place does not suck. Far from it.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-18-2008 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 05:18 PM

9 posts, read 24,954 times
I used to pick up a friend at LAX from this area and we would drive through LA and he'd see the people walking around or outside shops and restaurants and say "everyone looks like they are in their own world." They just look happy. If you give them the ice look that could kill they will not skip a beat and act like they don't notice it. It took him about 2 or 3 days to adjust and understand and then he was into it. It gave him perspective. He totally gets it but he still likes the East Coast better. The energy in certain areas in LA is good. Kind of has to be because of the entertainment business there. I can watch tv or commercials and can spot that vibe from a mile away. The girl for the Rosetta Stone language-learning software commercials has the typical LA vibe and I knew that right away. It took me moving here to see that but it's it's true. So there is an example of some of the CA vibe she must have gotten after moving out West. That is in fact CA for you.

I understand many people are proud of this area and they have a lot to be proud about. It's just not common everywhere or in every city to throw personal attacks at anyone who puts down where you live or grew up. It's really screams out that there must be some truth to what that person is saying. That is an example of acting uptight or stressed out. Just so you know I am going to love DC and everyday is getting better.

There is really no perfect place and the above post is right about opening eyes and seeing this is a nice area because it is.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-18-2008 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Responded to orphaned comments

Old 08-18-2008, 05:46 PM

280 posts, read 1,075,432 times
Why did you move here again?

Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 PM

8,991 posts, read 21,216,348 times
Besides the fact that we are getting away from the original topic of "favorite fun areas", discussing accents and other preconceived racial/ethnic notions will not lengthen the life of this thread.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:20 AM

105 posts, read 352,618 times
Slow tube down the Shenandoah, Swing dancing (many places NOVA, meet ALOT of people), Old town Alex. group fun, VAH Beach (unlimited), Hiking (Old Rag, Mt. Rogers, Blue Ridge, Great Falls), Cival War Battlegrounds (tons most battles were in VA), Drive down 81 stop ever 20 mins see stuff (good for road trips), UVA and VT and Redskins football games!!!!(TAILGATING), Boating on the potomac(rent kayak, canoe or sport boat at many Parks), Charter boats (you will not be disappointed!), Boxing classes, Biking NOVA has one of the best bike trails in US...airsoft fights

Some cost money, other do not.
You just have to find the right people that do this stuff, or you have to just DO IT and bring people with you.

As for your infatuation with CA, I dont blame you its what you are used to. I am not used to freezing ocean water year round, I am not used to wearing a jacket in the evening in the summer. I am not used to the smog. I could go on and on.

Try at least 5 of my suggeestions, you will find yourself trying to make your weekends less packed. Sometimes being busy all the time isnt good.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 AM

105 posts, read 352,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCworkFL View Post
people are not in shape everywhere, and I'm not going to always see attractive people working at stores. This is unrealistic and I'm currently in the grieving process (I'm halfway kidding there) .
Yeah I guessed you were kidding....washingtion is voted 12th fittest city by Mens Health and Long Beach is 17th Fattest city...yep I can see how you would be kidding.

The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness

Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,198,618 times
I see that you have received very few responses actually trying to address the original question about what to do for fun.

Well I have not lived there, or anywhere back east, for that matter, in over 20 years, but I can tell you a few things I remember doing that were fun...

1) Going into the city was always fun - malls, museums, shops, and parks... many great ones. You just have to know which neigborhoods to avoid, and DC proper is one of the finest cities in the nation.
2) I can;t recall the names of any in particular, but it seems like there were several nice lake parks where you could canoe, cycle, picnic and so forth. Just bring plenty of bugspray this time of year.
3) Historical sites. If you're into history, there are tons of great sites to visit and learn much about the history of the Eastern US.

Sorry that you did receive more helpful responses in this thread. I started a thread on the NOVA board a few weeks back and was likewise assaulted with many harsh and sarcastic comments. I'm not sure why this forum has such an undertone of bitterness, but if people get very defensive when someone suggests their homeland may not be the greatest place (instead of just brushing it off as ignorance) it makes me wonder why.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,699,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I see that you have received very few responses actually trying to address the original question about what to do for fun.

Well I have not lived there, or anywhere back east, for that matter, in over 20 years, but I can tell you a few things I remember doing that were fun...

1) Going into the city was always fun - malls, museums, shops, and parks... many great ones. You just have to know which neigborhoods to avoid, and DC proper is one of the finest cities in the nation.
2) I can;t recall the names of any in particular, but it seems like there were several nice lake parks where you could canoe, cycle, picnic and so forth. Just bring plenty of bugspray this time of year.
3) Historical sites. If you're into history, there are tons of great sites to visit and learn much about the history of the Eastern US.

Sorry that you did receive more helpful responses in this thread. I started a thread on the NOVA board a few weeks back and was likewise assaulted with many harsh and sarcastic comments. I'm not sure why this forum has such an undertone of bitterness, but if people get very defensive when someone suggests their homeland may not be the greatest place (instead of just brushing it off as ignorance) it makes me wonder why.

Hey, NOVA is very, very few peoples' "homeland". Most people here are just passing through on their way to somewhere else. What people object to is the snotty tone your and the other guy's posts.

There is a widely held notion that Southern Californians are kooks. You guys do absolutely nothing to dispel that notion!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:24 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,527,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Sorry that you did receive more helpful responses in this thread. I started a thread on the NOVA board a few weeks back and was likewise assaulted with many harsh and sarcastic comments. I'm not sure why this forum has such an undertone of bitterness...
Perhaps the fact that you chose to title the thread Does It Still Suck There? could have had something to do with it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia