Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:26 AM

9 posts, read 24,944 times

Advertisements

Please provide me some of your favorite fun areas in Northern VA that are not ghetto.

I live in Alexandria and would love to hear details for this area.

This site is wonderful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 PM

What is with the no response to the fun things to do question?

My gosh...I'm from Southern CA and would get pages of responses if the same question was asked.

What is with the uptight nerd vibe here? Lighten up people...it's not all about work work work. Life is short.

Please, I have 23,455 days left to live if I make it to 100 years of age. Only 15,315 if I live to the average age of 75. Can someone please answer the simple question of fun areas that are NICE with a good vibe around here? Places that are fun, aesthetically pleasing (not dumpy,trashy, low class) where the people are happy and laid back? Maybe suggest some our-doorsy stuff as well.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:30 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,686,913 times
Sheesh, you didn't give us much info....are you talking tot lots or swingers' clubs....or something in between?

Old 08-16-2008, 02:52 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,190,803 times
Most likely people were enjoying their Saturday doing many of the fun things that they may later suggest here. I'm about to head out to an evening swim party myself.

But as car54 said, giving a little more detail about your age and interests would be helpful. Referring to potentially less-desirable areas as "ghetto/trashy/low class" probably won't be.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:28 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,337,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Sheesh, you didn't give us much info....are you talking tot lots or swingers' clubs....or something in between?
LOL

True. What your idea of fun is might not be mine. Do you have kids? Married? Single? etc...

Old 08-16-2008, 09:10 PM

67 posts, read 247,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Most likely people were enjoying their Saturday doing many of the fun things that they may later suggest here. I'm about to head out to an evening swim party myself.
Umm.. exactly. I was at Kings Dominion all day with my son and his friend. However, this is only fun if you really really like amusement parks.

Top Golf in Alexandria is loads of fun (think skeeball using a driving range). Lots of unique museums in town if you like that sort of thing. Check out: Things To Do

Old 08-16-2008, 09:41 PM

Right, maybe I do have unrealistic expectations for this area. It's an adjustment coming here from Southern CA. People don't always smile in every city across the US, people are not in shape everywhere, and I'm not going to always see attractive people working at stores. This is unrealistic and I'm currently in the grieving process (I'm halfway kidding there)

Seriously, I'm in my 30's and like to think I'm a mature person and growing and learning everyday as an individual. I never want this to stop. I want to stay open minded and continue trying to be the best human being I can because it does the soul goood to put peoples needs above my own. One of my worst fears is losing this feeling and sort of stepping out of the light.

So in a perfect world I would like to surround myself with like minded balanced people who focus more on what is right than on what is wrong. You know, it's easy to play the one-up-manship game but we all know that is a vicious cycle that goes no where healthy.

I like to stay in shape, go on hikes, bike riding, go camping, go to the beach, snow skiing, boating, good restaurants, concerts, plays, weekend getaways, etc. All the regular stuff. Just a lot of Variety. This is why I was hoping to get some great creative ideas of things to do in this area from the locals. Basic things only people from this area would know.

In CA I was amazed at some of the ideas my friends would come up with for things to do that were so perfectly right on. I was just hoping to get some really cool unique ideas...really anything in this area based on what you've sensed from reading this; because there are for sure a lot of intelligent people in here.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,686,913 times
Yes, like, I'm afraid we will, like, never live up to your expectations.

I have some frequent flyer miles I'll give you so you can jet home on the weekends....

PS: Are you a caricature or are you just pulling our leg(s)?

Old 08-16-2008, 10:20 PM

Wow. Unbelievable.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 PM

323 posts, read 509,240 times
It is unbelievable.

Unbelievable that you expected a response to your post within 4 hours on a Saturday.

Unbelievable that you would imply that this area is full of grumpy, fat, ugly people.

But sadly, not unbelievable that another transplant has come to this area and is shocked that everything isn't as it is where they're from.

Tip: If you want people to be helpful, try not to insult them.

Back to the topic: A popular hike is Old Rag Mountain - not in NoVA, but maybe about 90 minutes SW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia