Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:33 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
Wow really? I have never seen another 500 ft silo with the words "Southern States" on it. Let me know where else you have seen this. Since it sounds like you have, or you would not be asking me if I was kidding right?

Oh, silly me, I thought you were saying that one would never see Southern States stores above DC. So, you are saying that there are no taller silos above DC?

I highly doubt that, but oh boy, now I have sumpin to Google!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
I used to hate it here. We moved from Texas last year to manassas. My kids and dh were miserable also. Since moving to Fredericksburg last month, we have all been much happier. It's just a slower, more friendly area. We LOVE coming home, the kids are already doing 110% better in school and have friends that are much much nicer and better for them (for lack of a better way to put it).

Old 09-28-2008, 06:59 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I used to hate it here. We moved from Texas last year to manassas. My kids and dh were miserable also. Since moving to Fredericksburg last month, we have all been much happier. It's just a slower, more friendly area. We LOVE coming home, the kids are already doing 110% better in school and have friends that are much much nicer and better for them (for lack of a better way to put it).
Wait till Kalahari opens the $200 million dollar indoor water park in Fredericksburg. Your kids will love Fredericksburg even more: Kalahari Resorts : Fredericksburg, VA

Fredericksburg has a nice location. An hour from DC, 15 minutes from Kings Dominion, 25 minutes to Richmond, 1.5 hours from Busche Garden Williamsburg & Great Wolf Lodge, and 2 hours from VA Beach.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:05 PM

84 posts, read 485,941 times
I'm pretty happy in NOVA so far. The only things I don't like are the traffic and high food prices. Food is costing me more here than it was in SoCal, sadly.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:19 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksword View Post
I'm pretty happy in NOVA so far. The only things I don't like are the traffic and high food prices. Food is costing me more here than it was in SoCal, sadly.
You need to watch the sales - check out the weekly prices, you can get some really great prices. (and save those coupons, sadly though, coupon manufacturers have really slacked off lately).

Old 09-28-2008, 08:18 PM

84 posts, read 485,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You need to watch the sales - check out the weekly prices, you can get some really great prices. (and save those coupons, sadly though, coupon manufacturers have really slacked off lately).
Are there any discount supermarkets in the McLean area? Back in Cali there was a Food 4 Less almost every two square miles which made cheap shopping pretty easy. I've mostly seen Giant G stores around here which aren't discount by any means. The only deals they have is like "Buy 5 for the price of 4" when all I really need is a low price on one.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:22 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksword View Post
Are there any discount supermarkets in the McLean area? Back in Cali there was a Food 4 Less almost every two square miles which made cheap shopping pretty easy. I've mostly seen Giant G stores around here which aren't discount by any means. The only deals they have is like "Buy 5 for the price of 4" when all I really need is a low price on one.
Look for the Bottom Dollar stores. They and the upscale Bloom sprouted from what was once Food Lion. Other than that, Shoppers is the least expensive around here, but not as much as it used to be.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
A while back, Washington Consumer Checkbook did a price survey of grocery stores. Surprisingly, Wegman's was cheapest of all.

I have found that to be true myself, but of course, you have to leave the gourmet stuff alone!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:58 PM

65 posts, read 258,083 times
NO I hate it I was born in North Florida and I want to go down south so bad.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl1989 View Post
NO I hate it I was born in North Florida and I want to go down south so bad.
You had to dig pretty far to come up with a "I hate NoVA thread". You could have just started a new one and we'd have not known the difference. Personally I think Northern Florida's a pit (it's cracker country) compared to here so can't say I share your sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia