Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times

Advertisements

We are tired of the unremitting gray in Seattle and want to move south. My husband is an embedded software engineer. It appears that there are many jobs in NOVA for which he's qualified (he's ex-military and used to work for DOD before obtaining his MS and entering the private sector). We've been to the DC area several times but never lived there. I was hoping to get some information perusing this board.

I am getting the sense that many people are not happy there. Is there anyone on this board living there that thinks it's great? I know traffic is bad and can see cost of living is steep. But are there other things that make up for that? Unfortunately for us, because of the type of work he does, no matter where we go, cost of living is going to be steep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
We relocated from Seattle a little over a year ago. I love it here, but then again, I didn't like Seattle. I used to live here before moving to Seattle so the DC metro area was familiar to us. Once we relocated, I became a stay-at-home mom. I love all the resources/activities available for children; most of them are free or low cost. The school system is great. Everything is easily accessible. I enjoy having four distinct seasons. We are also fortunate to live in a family-friendly neighborhood and our church is great. Yes, there is a lot of traffic, but I found traffic in Seattle to be pretty bad and the only public transportation option for us there was a commuter bus (here we have subway, buses, slugging, and commuter trains).

Old 09-12-2008, 01:22 PM
GMU

56 posts, read 552,941 times
We love it. Of course having a good network of friends/family very close by is paramount.

Sure, the traffic/cost of living is bad, as is most large cities, but as "mlv311" posted, the area has a ton to offer, such as experiencing the 4 seasons of weather (and not worrying about natural disasters). We really enjoy that. (Of course, it helps if you have a garage to keep your car cool in the summer, and keep you from chipping ice off your windshield in the winter!)

If you move out this way, you will find that where you live will have a significant impact on your quality of life. I would say "what" you live in is secondary to where you live, good schools, etc. DC area is all about trade-offs.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:23 PM

148 posts, read 629,672 times
I think lots of us are happy here. We just like to complain! The long time residents complain about the influx of new people. The new residents find that the here are cold and aloof here. We complain about the weather (not enough snow to ski, or humid, or no beach nearby etc). We do not like if a new neighbor acts "too" friendly but then we do not like if they do not care about us either. Apart from these small matters this area has jobs, lots of professional people, bad traffic and for most part provides the means to support our families. Are there things that make up for the bad traffic etc- yes..lots Jobs, and a bunch of museums in DC.
However, I am not sure if "embedded software" jobs are plentiful in this area. At least not in the corporate sector. Maybe defense contractors do some of that type that work here. I would not go there myself but I know Dallas, for example, has more jobs for Embedded S/w than the DC area and it is much cheaper to live there. It is also not gray there!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:39 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
In DC, you can't get up and take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island for breakfast at the Streamliner Diner. You can't ride around all day on the streetcars (although we're working on that), and there is no place like The Herb Farm for dinner. Still...DC is a great place to live and work with tons of all kinds of different stuff to see and do if ever you can find the time for it all. I've been here for almost forty years and have barely scratched the surface. Yup, traffic and the cost of living are the two biggest complaints people have, but neither one is so out of line with other major urban areas, and DC comes with so many plusses and so few other minuses. So, to answer the question, yes...there are actually lots of us here who think DC is great...

Old 09-12-2008, 01:52 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
In DC, you can't get up and take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island for breakfast at the Streamliner Diner. You can't ride around all day on the streetcars (although we're working on that), and there is no place like The Herb Farm for dinner. Still...DC is a great place to live and work with tons of all kinds of different stuff to see and do if ever you can find the time for it all. I've been here for almost forty years and have barely scratched the surface. Yup, traffic and the cost of living are the two biggest complaints people have, but neither one is so out of line with other major urban areas, and DC comes with so many plusses and so few other minuses. So, to answer the question, yes...there are actually lots of us here who think DC is great...
We don't have street cars either save for the new south lake union trolley that consist of about a two mile loop. I really don't know anyone that takes the ferry over to Bainbridge for breakfast and it takes a year to get a reservation at the Herb Farm. So I guess what I am saying is that in theory Seattle is a great place. But the weather sure is getting to us.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:17 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
I personally know people who complained and bashed NoVa and the DC area when they lived in it - and eventually they moved out. But a year later they came back running to the area and glorified how nice NoVa is.

There are a lot activities to do - you have DC next door, Baltimore next door to DC. Philly, NYC, and Atlantic City are only a few hours away. The Atlantic Beachs and Mountains are close by too.

I know your feeling about Seattle. I go there on business trips and I dread going there especially during the winter where it's gray all day long and gets dark really early and light real late in the morning.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:07 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
I definitely liked living there. It involves a lot of driving and/or commuting and it just seems that everyone is racing around to afford the go-go lifestyle. But still, there are a lot of well educated, interesting people living in the area and a lot to do. That said, one other location you might consider is the Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina (Raleigh-Cary-Durham). It would have a good job market for your husband's area and is less $.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
I love it here. This is my 6th state. It is the only place on the East Coast I would consider. Because of the schools, the culture and the family-friendliness, I like it better than San Diego (bad schools, outside of Balboa park not much culture). Miss the beach and the laid back West Coast attitude, especially the time difference (love NFL games on at 5pm!).
I would guess the negative attitude you've read about is due to the influx of generally naturally gloomy East Coast types (Red Sox fan, Philly fanatic) who complain regularly about everything, even when they like it. The East Coaster prefers his glass half-empty.
You should attach a poll to this.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:37 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
Love it here too. Lived in two different counties near Philly, one place in Central Pa, and in upstate NY and this is by far the best. Yes the traffic can be bad, but you can get around it with timing and yes the cost of living is steep BUT the amenities that you get are WONDERFUL.
Good luck. I am in Ashburn and it is so nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia