Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:56 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,203,219 times

Advertisements

I really like it here, but then again I've liked every place I've lived. So, if you are basically unhappy where you are you have a higher chance of being unhappy here. The area has great weather, four seasons, museums, historic sites, and cultural events everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 04:06 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,452,003 times
I've lived in Northern Virginia for 27 years, and I like it a lot. It's not that far to mountains, to the ocean, to DC (great city to visit, with many of the very best attractions free!), etc.

Now that I'm retired and don't have to face the 95/395 commute-from-hell to Capitol Hill and back every day, I like NOVA even more.

However, I was born in Boston, I have a lot of family in New England (MA, NH, and VT), and when the housing market stabilizes, I hope to move back to New England. It's not that I don't like it here - I do. But I love New England.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,832,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
We are tired of the unremitting gray in Seattle and want to move south. My husband is an embedded software engineer. It appears that there are many jobs in NOVA for which he's qualified (he's ex-military and used to work for DOD before obtaining his MS and entering the private sector). We've been to the DC area several times but never lived there. I was hoping to get some information perusing this board.

I am getting the sense that many people are not happy there. Is there anyone on this board living there that thinks it's great? I know traffic is bad and can see cost of living is steep. But are there other things that make up for that? Unfortunately for us, because of the type of work he does, no matter where we go, cost of living is going to be steep.
DC Northern VA native here. I now live in Florida, but DC is my home and I will always love it and sometimes hate certain things about it. Your husband would find a great job there and there is a lot of military there. It is very very expensive to live there and I mean the houses are almost too high, unless you have a lot of money. I left because I wanted a slower pace and lower rents. Otherwise, they have great schools and colleges there, a lot of beautiful parks and Museums. There is a lot of culture. There is on the other hand a big illegal immigrant problem, no affordable housing and a lot of people are social climbing, workaholic types. I grew up there and was immune to that and there are nice people there, it is just a shock for people coming from the south or West. Its a different lifestyle and fast pace. Since I was f rom the north, the shock of living in the South was a lot to take. I am used to it now. Every place has its good and bad.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:22 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,740,578 times
I love it here.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:03 PM

63 posts, read 171,857 times
I love it here too and I am so glad I am raising my children here.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,810,346 times
I like it - I realize there are some things you just have to accept, don't let the "always finding the negatives" folks scare you off. I've never lived on the West Coast, only visited - but welcome and hope you like it.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,686,547 times
I've been here since 1981 and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I do laugh at the references to "four seasons" because I think the seasons are inadequate compared to the North where I grew up, but I guess compared to Seattle they would be a real improvement.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:34 AM

2,508 posts, read 3,409,359 times
Default Deciding to be happy

Many people enjoy living here in northern Virginia for all the things it has to offer. I have been highly critical of noVA attitudes on here and in real life, but this area does have many activities, opportunities, etc. Being close enough to go into DC for the museums and monuments is a big plus to many people.

If you do decide to move, you might rent for a year to see how it works out. Do plenty of research on neighborhoods to make sure you get one that you can live with. A more affluent neighborhood with impressive people doesn't necessary mean the families are friendly and make 'good neighbors'. There are also more stressed out, very driven people here (adult bullies) who always have to be right. The quiet, thoughtful people tend to stay in the background.

You mentioned the Seattle weather as a reason for leaving that area. The weather here is beautiful in the spring and fall, and the winters have been fairly mild during the 3 years we've been here. Not a lot of snow.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Fern435; 09-13-2008 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: added a word

Old 09-13-2008, 06:15 AM

446 posts, read 1,648,880 times
Northern VA/DC is a great place to live, but just like anywhere else, it has its negatives. The one thing I will say that I think one of the first few posters touched on (and I'd like to elaborate on) is how much of where you live in Northern VA makes up if you like it or not. For example, I am in Arlington (first suburb outside DC in VA). I can dash into DC for something quick if I need it (traffic never feels as bad when Arlington is the center of your world) and then can get to the outer suburbs easily as well when I need to. So my point is....if you'd like to live somewhere a little different and end up in a suburban housing community in Fairfax where you will be paying top dollar for a home you could get in Dallas, Charlotte, Raleigh or Kansas City, it might be upsetting. That's why I live where I live...yes it's expensive, but I couldn't replicate Arlington just anywhere.

The season I don't enjoy here is winter. It gets gray and all like Seattle. But from Easter through Halloween, this area just shines. Yes there is humidity, but there is still nothing like parking your car along the GW Parkway and watching the river glisten in the setting sun and hear planes landing at DCA.

Just keep in mind we don't have as many cool coffeehouses (and no I don't mean Sbucks) or a Pike Place Market!!! I think you will see we have an equal homeless population. We do have a huge illegal immigrant issue here. But this area has, in my opinion, more good than bad and for me the highest negative above all is the cost. But a good budget and the willingness to save and hold back gets me through.

Best of luck to you in your prospective move!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:29 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,787 times
I'm a Massachusetts native (GO SOX! ) that's been here for 14 years and love it here! We never had the resources/park system that we have now in Fairfax County back where we were in Massachusetts. The school system is far superior to what was in Massachusetts -- even in the "not so affluent" areas of Fairfax County. Plus I personally do not miss the ice and snow of Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia