Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,251,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
It really depends where you go in NoVa to find sweet tea, just doubt that many people know of these places.
1.Rocklands BBQ
2.Sweet Water Tavern
3.The Cracker Barrel
4.Any BBQ in VA
5.The Polo Grill
6.Wawa Gas station(I know its odd)
7.Find the small places, especially outskirts of the beltway.

BTW, the metro area is a category of its self, NOT North not South, its mid atlantic. I have been to NJ NY PA MD and DC is nothing like them.

other than that like stacy said head to Richmond, all along the way you will find it. Bojangles, and other places like that start popping up. DC is not North its Mid atlantic, its nothing like MD PA NJ NY MA. Its its own category
We have Cracker Barrels here in Arizona as well

I like Sweet Tea but my incipient Type 2 Diabetes is putting a stop to a lot of my fave things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 PM

395 posts, read 527,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
IMO (and you know what those are worth - it's WAY too sweet for my taste (unless you like your teeth to hurt).
Well they usually never make it sweet enough for me,lol

Except ironically at Starbucks in Fairfax once they made it just right.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 AM

50 posts, read 224,646 times
I was born and raised in Sumner, WA...moved here back in March 2001 when I became a Flight Attendant based out here.. Now I'm a sahm living in Ashburn, VA.. The area is pretty but it's too d@mn crowded for me....Plus, I guess not having family out here is tough too, all mine out back in Washington... My husband and I are looking to relocate somewhere South where it might be a little friendlier atmosphere... So yes, I'm one of the few that hates living here....Good luck to you...

Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 AM

105 posts, read 352,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
I sooooo agree ! DC may not be the real South, buts its definitely not the Northeast! I grew up in the DC area and I consider myself Southern- well- my family is mostly from Richmond and points SOUTH

Anyways, even in the city of DC- I walk into a coffee shop- the girl at the counter smiles at me and asks me how Im doing. Try getting that in NY, Boston, or Philly?

Also we have much milder weather in DC. So yeah- Mid-Atlantic works fine for me. Really its the gateway to the South. When you hit Richmond- I always notice you see the signs for Durham-Atlanta- you know your'e truly in the SOUTH.
Sure thing, go down 95 when you hit Richmond you get the huge silos that have the giant words painted "Southern States" on them. You will NOT find that anywhere above DC for sure.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,375,612 times
I liked living in NoVA for about 10 yrs. (95-05) and the last three years I was there, I was miserable and couldn't wait to leave. I just got so sick of the congestion. It seemed worse on weekends, but was always bad getting to work. Metro used to make it a little better, but eventually got more expensive tha driving and is now so crowded too. I got so sick of it, that I didn't want to leave the house anymore unless I had to and that's when it's time to leave. Now I live out in the desert, about one mile within the Phoenix city limits. It's paradise. I've ridden my motorcycle out in the sticks for over 100 miles without seeing another person. A few times a month I have to go into downtown Phoenix for meetings and that's when I start feeling like I'm in NoVA again. I have to go today and, of course, there's an overturned tractor trailer on my way, full of carpet tack and nail strips, screwing up eveyrone's commute. I can deal with the traffic once in a while. But it was like that everyday somewhere in the DC area. And let's face it - traffic in NoVA is never ever going to get any better. It will only ever get worse.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,716,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
Sure thing, go down 95 when you hit Richmond you get the huge silos that have the giant words painted "Southern States" on them. You will NOT find that anywhere above DC for sure.

You kidding? There are Southern States Cooperative stores all over....including Alaska!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,748,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Would someone please explain:

a. What is sweet tea?
b. Why is it mentioned so regularly....is it THAT good?
c. Would I like sweet tea? (hot and iced tea make me gag!)
Quote:
Sweet tea is simply iced tea that has been sweetened during the brewing process. You never heard of it?

I think if you normally dont like tea of any kind- you would actually probably like sweet tea.
I never heard of it before I went to college in Fredericksburg. Actually, since it was included with our Chinese combo meals, for the first year or two I thought it was a Chinese thing. I didn't really figure it out until I worked in catering and had to make it for some events.

Personally, I don't like it, but then again I don't but any sweetener in tea and am not used to the concept of putting simple syrup in already-very-sweetened iced tea. My friend moved down to Durham and is ecstatic with her sweet tea discovery, so it just depends. If you don't like tea because it's bitter, you might like sweet tea. To me it just tastes like sugar water.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM

28 posts, read 76,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
In DC, you can't get up and take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island for breakfast at the Streamliner Diner. You can't ride around all day on the streetcars (although we're working on that), and there is no place like The Herb Farm for dinner. Still...DC is a great place to live and work with tons of all kinds of different stuff to see and do if ever you can find the time for it all. I've been here for almost forty years and have barely scratched the surface. Yup, traffic and the cost of living are the two biggest complaints people have, but neither one is so out of line with other major urban areas, and DC comes with so many plusses and so few other minuses. So, to answer the question, yes...there are actually lots of us here who think DC is great...
Wonderful post thank you. I have called Northern Virginia home for 40 years. Come here, live, give it time, and you'll never want to leave.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 AM

395 posts, read 527,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInVA View Post
I was born and raised in Sumner, WA...moved here back in March 2001 when I became a Flight Attendant based out here.. Now I'm a sahm living in Ashburn, VA.. The area is pretty but it's too d@mn crowded for me....Plus, I guess not having family out here is tough too, all mine out back in Washington... My husband and I are looking to relocate somewhere South where it might be a little friendlier atmosphere... So yes, I'm one of the few that hates living here....Good luck to you...
You would enjoy Charlottesville, Richmond, or Raleigh much better, I believe.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:45 AM

28 posts, read 76,547 times
Quote:
I sooooo agree ! DC may not be the real South, buts its definitely not the Northeast! I grew up in the DC area and I consider myself Southern- well- my family is mostly from Richmond and points SOUTH

Anyways, even in the city of DC- I walk into a coffee shop- the girl at the counter smiles at me and asks me how Im doing. Try getting that in NY, Boston, or Philly?

Also we have much milder weather in DC. So yeah- Mid-Atlantic works fine for me. Really its the gateway to the South. When you hit Richmond- I always notice you see the signs for Durham-Atlanta- you know your'e truly in the SOUTH.
DC is where north meets south. Isn't that why they built the Memorial Bridge between the Lee Mansion and the Lincoln Memorial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia