Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,525,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
I lived inside catoctin circle (right accross from Loudoun County High School) and while it is walkable to get to downtown to stroll around for an afternoon I would never walk to get groceries or go out to eat, drink, or see a movie etc..

As far as crime being bad over in the "Loudoun House" area (i doubt anyone remembers why its called that) its really not a bad place at all. its almost laughable if you're coming from a city to see what is considered "bad" in leesburg. I spent a lot of time over there and never felt threatened. It does statistically have more minorities in that area but just down plaza street a extra half mile are nice family neighborhoods.

As far as friendly goes, don't expect people to be laid back and outgoing. Most people here only care about what you do, how much you make, and how much power you have. Just another list of why I'm looking to leave the area.

Overall the area is a nice place to live and raise a family but I'm sick to death of it at this point
I live on North Street near Woodberry, so that works better for walking to downtown than near Loudoun County HS. I've walked over to the Tally Ho (with my daughter on some occasions) to catch a movie more than once, so YMMV. Ditto for going out to eat.

Groceries, meh. If I had more time and one of those collapsible carts, I'd do it at least some. But yeah, 1/2 mile is on the outer edge of how far you'd want to walk for groceries, especially as there's a big parking lot by the Giant. But it's certainly as close as some of the neighborhoods folks tout in North Arlington.

Compared to the rest of the town, the Loudoun House (wasn't that a bunch of bad apartments?) area is unsafe. But Carrvale (right above the Loudoun House area) is fine. Basically any SFH neighborhood in Leesburg is good.

I've found folks here to be more laid-back than folks in Vienna were and definitely folks in Arlington. Then again, you grew up here so it's natural to get sick of it. I felt much the same about Front Royal until 2-3 years ago -- maybe you'll change, maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,590,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I live on North Street near Woodberry, so that works better for walking to downtown than near Loudoun County HS. I've walked over to the Tally Ho (with my daughter on some occasions) to catch a movie more than once, so YMMV. Ditto for going out to eat.

Groceries, meh. If I had more time and one of those collapsible carts, I'd do it at least some. But yeah, 1/2 mile is on the outer edge of how far you'd want to walk for groceries, especially as there's a big parking lot by the Giant. But it's certainly as close as some of the neighborhoods folks tout in North Arlington.

Compared to the rest of the town, the Loudoun House (wasn't that a bunch of bad apartments?) area is unsafe. But Carrvale (right above the Loudoun House area) is fine. Basically any SFH neighborhood in Leesburg is good.

I've found folks here to be more laid-back than folks in Vienna were and definitely folks in Arlington. Then again, you grew up here so it's natural to get sick of it. I felt much the same about Front Royal until 2-3 years ago -- maybe you'll change, maybe not.
leesburg is definately a nice and safe place to raise a family, no doubt about that. but i've lived in NoVA my entire life and want out.

Leesburg was a small country town when I was growing up. You used to be able to drive from Leesburg to Fairfax in 30 minutes during rush hour back then.

Now all of NoVA, especially Leesburg has become ridiculously over crowded with some of the worst traffic in the country.

If I'm going to have bad traffic at least give me good weather year round and beaches.

I wish everyone could see how leesburg was 20 years ago. Your jaw would drop. I don't even recognize it when I look back at old pictures

Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,838,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I live on North Street near Woodberry, so that works better for walking to downtown than near Loudoun County HS.
I have a friend on Woodberry. I do like how that whole neighborhood is close to the downtown. I would definitely walk into town if I lived there.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 PM

33 posts, read 48,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
I wish everyone could see how leesburg was 20 years ago. Your jaw would drop. I don't even recognize it when I look back at old pictures
I moved to this region in 1993, and neither I nor anyone I knew considered Leesburg to be part of the DC area back then. I considered it a charming small town suitable for weekend excursions. It boggles my mind to even consider commuting to DC from Leesburg or Fredericksburg every day. But people do it.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,590,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charveldude View Post
I moved to this region in 1993, and neither I nor anyone I knew considered Leesburg to be part of the DC area back then. I considered it a charming small town suitable for weekend excursions. It boggles my mind to even consider commuting to DC from Leesburg or Fredericksburg every day. But people do it.
you and me both my friend. its crazy. i lived in the same house from 1991 - 2011 right off catoctin and its amazing the amount of traffic on catoctin compared to what it was like before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia