Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,153 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are relocating and we're looking at Lake Ridge/Woodbridge area. I work at the Pentagon and keep hearing about slug lines as a way to get to/from work. However....I have to be seated at my desk by 6am (if not earlier). Any ideas how to get in early?
I also dont get off work til 6pm some months and am not sure how I would get back home since slug lines are over by then. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:51 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,328,564 times
take the VRE, or find a better job

Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 AM

870 posts, read 2,109,812 times
Slugging would be tough to get to Pentagon by 6am. The good news is that you could drive without too much traffic at that hour in the morning and pick up sluggers in the afternoon.

If your schedule changes and you can slug in, but have to wait too long to get a retun ride, you can always use VRE or Omniride (the DC to Prince William County commuter bus). Omniride has decently frequent commuter bus service well after 6pm. I actually slug in the morning and take Omniride in the afternoon; it's not uncommon.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APR2009 View Post
My husband & I are relocating and we're looking at Lake Ridge/Woodbridge area. I work at the Pentagon and keep hearing about slug lines as a way to get to/from work. However....I have to be seated at my desk by 6am (if not earlier). Any ideas how to get in early?
I also dont get off work til 6pm some months and am not sure how I would get back home since slug lines are over by then. Please help!
You will have no problem getting to work at 6:00 a.m. I drive Woodbridge to the Navy Yard and am seated at my desk at 6:00 a.m. I leave my house no later than 5:20 a.m. each morning. Really, it is mostly a breeze unless there is an accident.

There are some slugs at that time, but it is not worth your while to pick up slugs at that time because they are of no benefit to you.

As for getting home, if you are leaving after 3:30 p.m., it is very easy to get PM slugs from the Pentagon. My husband has done it leaving at 4 PM and he gets home superfast. As for leaving at 6:00 PM, picking up slugs is to no benefit at that time as the HOV lanes open to all cars at 6:00 PM. You'd just be in regular traffic at that point which can be fairly heavy. Probably about an hour's drive home at that point, if not more.

Edited to add: This is going to work for you if YOU are the driver. I realize that you might be trying to be a slug. If so, you would have a more difficult time getting a ride to be seated at 6:00 a.m.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,153 times
Thank you to everyone who responded. I appreciate it. Sounds like driving in will be the best solution for early morning. I was hoping to avoid driving because that brings another probelm - parking. I have no wear to park, short of going to Macy's everyday but I cant afford that. I guess I'll keep trying to see whats out there and check into VRE. If anyone knows any lots near the Pentagon that arent too expensive that'd be great! Thanks again for everyone's input.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APR2009 View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded. I appreciate it. Sounds like driving in will be the best solution for early morning. I was hoping to avoid driving because that brings another probelm - parking. I have no wear to park, short of going to Macy's everyday but I cant afford that. I guess I'll keep trying to see whats out there and check into VRE. If anyone knows any lots near the Pentagon that arent too expensive that'd be great! Thanks again for everyone's input.
I would do the OmniRide bus before I'd do the VRE. I believe their is a 5:10 bus that gets to the Pentagon prior to 6:00 a.m. Leaves directly from the Horner Road lot. The VRE will require you to drive to the VRE station (which is a farther drive than the commuter lots depending on where you live), catch the VRE to Crystal City. Get off the train, walk to the Crystal City Metro and then take the Metro to the Pentagon.

I think the bus is a much better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia