Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 AM

608 posts, read 1,708,842 times

Advertisements

I have a flight leaving from National Airport (DCA) at around 6 AM fairly soon. I was a bonehead and forgot that the Metro doesn't really start running till about 5:30 or 5:45 and hence, a 6 AM flight wouldn't be a good option. But too late to change my plans now!

My return flight is the late-evening the next day, so basically I'm looking for 48-hour parking.

What are my options?

Obviously, I can do the Airport's economy parking, but I was wondering if there were any better options out there. I'm traveling very lightly if that factors into the equation. Is the Airport economy parking the best way to go or might there be a better way to do this that I haven't considered?

Do any bus routes in the area run to the airport before 5:30 AM by any slim chance? For that matter, would it be possible to do Metro Rail and still make it by 5:30 AM?

Last edited by DiderotsGhost; 04-06-2010 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,837 times
Have you priced taxis from your house? We only take a taxi (about 2-3 times a month) but are reimbursed for it. As it such a short time, just parking at the airport would be cheaper, but just not as convenient. I wouldn't risk any other public transportation at that hour.

Also you can go online and see where the parking is at DCA, I would check it the night before, it should still be pretty much the same in the early morning.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Have you priced taxis from your house? We only take a taxi (about 2-3 times a month) but are reimbursed for it. As it such a short time, just parking at the airport would be cheaper, but just not as convenient. I wouldn't risk any other public transportation at that hour.

Also you can go online and see where the parking is at DCA, I would check it the night before, it should still be pretty much the same in the early morning.
I'm imaging it would be cheaper to park at DCA than take a taxi in from the Fairfax/Vienna area. I know my gf and I took a taxi home from Vienna the other night and she lives 0.8 miles from the station and it cost $6 (plus tip) even for that incredibly short distance.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
I have a flight leaving from National Airport (DCA) at around 6 AM fairly soon. I was a bonehead and forgot that the Metro doesn't really start running till about 5:30 or 5:45 and hence, a 6 AM flight wouldn't be a good option. But too late to change my plans now!

My return flight is the late-evening the next day, so basically I'm looking for 48-hour parking.

What are my options?

Obviously, I can do the Airport's economy parking, but I was wondering if there were any better options out there. I'm traveling very lightly if that factors into the equation. Is the Airport economy parking the best way to go or might there be a better way to do this that I haven't considered?

Do any bus routes in the area run to the airport before 5:30 AM by any slim chance? For that matter, would it be possible to do Metro Rail and still make it by 5:30 AM?

Hmmm...need more information. Where are you looking to catch a bus/Metro from? Metro starts running at 5 on the weekdays so I assume you're talking weekend. You can go to wmata and find out what buses are running that early that can get you to the airport, but I wouldn't plan on getting there any later than 5:15 am. Depending on the terminal, DCA can be a breeze to get through but I wouldn't push it especially if you're not already checked in.

You can also cab it and then metro back on your return flight, but depending where you're coming from, it may just be cheaper to park at the airport. Economy parking should cost you about $20 for 2 days.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Hmmm...need more information. Where are you looking to catch a bus/Metro from? Metro starts running at 5 on the weekdays so I assume you're talking weekend. You can go to wmata and find out what buses are running that early that can get you to the airport, but I wouldn't plan on getting there any later than 5:15 am. Depending on the terminal, DCA can be a breeze to get through but I wouldn't push it especially if you're not already checked in.

You can also cab it and then metro back on your return flight, but depending where you're coming from, it may just be cheaper to park at the airport. Economy parking should cost you about $20 for 2 days.
It's a weekday. Actually, I was thinking Metro started running at 5:30 AM for some reason, but you're right ... the website suggests it starts at 5 AM. Still might be cutting it close, but theoretically, I could get to DCA by about 5:20.

So I guess the next question is whether or not there are normally any long-term parking spaces available. I know Huntington and Franconia both have LT parking, but the website only says they have 15-17 spaces --- which doesn't seem like much.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
It's a weekday. Actually, I was thinking Metro started running at 5:30 AM for some reason, but you're right ... the website suggests it starts at 5 AM. Still might be cutting it close, but theoretically, I could get to DCA by about 5:20.

So I guess the next question is whether or not there are normally any long-term parking spaces available. I know Huntington and Franconia both have LT parking, but the website only says they have 15-17 spaces --- which doesn't seem like much.

Well, terminal B and C are the easy terminals to get through. Terminal A is a long walk or shuttle after you get to the airport. If you were to get to the airport at 5:20 and say you were flying out of terminal C, you should have no issues making your flight.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Well, terminal B and C are the easy terminals to get through. Terminal A is a long walk or shuttle after you get to the airport. If you were to get to the airport at 5:20 and say you were flying out of terminal C, you should have no issues making your flight.
It's Terminal A, unfortunately, but I'm an extremely fast walker so I'm not terribly worried about that. Worst-case ... it takes me 5 more minutes.

I'm more worried about how long it will take to get through security. I've had one previous early morning experience at DCA and it was a breeze. I'm hoping that's typical at 5:30 AM. I know that it's not necessarily later in the day.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Security at DCA is almost always a breeze, but really term A is further than you think. It's a solid 15 minute walk if I remember correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia