Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,407 times

Advertisements

I lived at Manassas Park 20111 and my job at Crystal city. My work time is 6:30AM so I think maybe I need start off 5:30 AM from my home.I want to know how about the traffic at I66 in that time? busy traffic or is ok?
Or could u give me a good suggest how to go to crystal city?Thank you very much!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Take the VRE to Alexandria (40 minutes max) and then walk across the street and get on the metro. You will have time, money, and your SANITY!!! I loved the VRE when I used to commute from Manassas City to LeEnfant Plaza. I could sit in comfort and read the paper.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Take the VRE to Alexandria (40 minutes max) and then walk across the street and get on the metro. You will have time, money, and your SANITY!!! I loved the VRE when I used to commute from Manassas City to LeEnfant Plaza. I could sit in comfort and read the paper.
Go kevin!!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:51 PM

352 posts, read 1,591,958 times
Seriously, the advice for the VRE is solid. (Virginia Railway Express Home Page) However, here's some more detail based on the information provided.

You can catch the train at the Manassas Park station at 5:56am and arrive at Crystal City at 6:43. This won't work if you need to be there at 6:30. Therefore I'd catch the 5:16am and arrive in Crystal City at 6:01, grab some breakfast, walk to your office, chill out, maybe even negotiate your start time to 6:15 so you can leave 15 minutes earlier in the afternoon. The schedule I grabbed this from is at Service Information - Virginia Railway Express.

Monthly fare is $204.60, which sounds like a lot. (http://www.vre.org/service/fares.htm) However (broken link), the drive is 30 miles each way, or 60 miles per day. 60 miles per day x 20 workdays a month is 1200 miles. 1200 miles on a car that gets 25mpg times $2/gallon is $96. Add in the additional incremental maintenance and car value depreciation for the extra 14,400 miles/yr on the vehicle and you're at around $150/month or more by any reasonable estimate for maintenance. So: You'll save your sanity for about $50/mo. If your new company has SmartBenefits, then it becomes (even more of) a no-brainer. (Service Information - Virginia Railway Express (http://www.vre.org/service/smartbenefits/faq.html - broken link))

A note: I-66 inside the beltway is HOV ONLY after 6am. You wouldn't be able to drive on I-66 to get to Crystal City - you'd have to take Route 50, or swing around on the Beltway and come up Route 1. This is another reason to consider VRE in your case.

I hope this helps!

Old 03-14-2009, 03:24 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,731 times
Knopfer got the info on lock. One rep.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 19,867 times
Default 66 isn't all that bad...

I commute from Haymarket (exit 40) to Vienna Metro (exit 62) everyday. I leave the house at 6AM and am at the metro by 6:30. Leaving earlier should shorten the commute a little as the traffic will be lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie85_11 View Post
I lived at Manassas Park 20111 and my job at Crystal city. My work time is 6:30AM so I think maybe I need start off 5:30 AM from my home.I want to know how about the traffic at I66 in that time? busy traffic or is ok?
Or could u give me a good suggest how to go to crystal city?Thank you very much!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:53 AM

50 posts, read 202,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Seriously, the advice for the VRE is solid. (Virginia Railway Express Home Page) However, here's some more detail based on the information provided.

You can catch the train at the Manassas Park station at 5:56am and arrive at Crystal City at 6:43. This won't work if you need to be there at 6:30. Therefore I'd catch the 5:16am and arrive in Crystal City at 6:01, grab some breakfast, walk to your office, chill out, maybe even negotiate your start time to 6:15 so you can leave 15 minutes earlier in the afternoon. The schedule I grabbed this from is at Service Information - Virginia Railway Express.

Monthly fare is $204.60, which sounds like a lot. (http://www.vre.org/service/fares.htm) However (broken link), the drive is 30 miles each way, or 60 miles per day. 60 miles per day x 20 workdays a month is 1200 miles. 1200 miles on a car that gets 25mpg times $2/gallon is $96. Add in the additional incremental maintenance and car value depreciation for the extra 14,400 miles/yr on the vehicle and you're at around $150/month or more by any reasonable estimate for maintenance. So: You'll save your sanity for about $50/mo. If your new company has SmartBenefits, then it becomes (even more of) a no-brainer. (Service Information - Virginia Railway Express (http://www.vre.org/service/smartbenefits/faq.html - broken link))

A note: I-66 inside the beltway is HOV ONLY after 6am. You wouldn't be able to drive on I-66 to get to Crystal City - you'd have to take Route 50, or swing around on the Beltway and come up Route 1. This is another reason to consider VRE in your case.

I hope this helps!
HOV inside the beltway starts @ 6:30am, not 6:00. If you are arriving at your desk by 6:30am, driving will probably be the fastest way, taking I66 all the way to 110/1. I would try both the train and driving to see which one works best for you. I live in Fairfax and my office is moving to Crystal City so I will be experimenting with vienna metro vs. burke VRE in.

High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Systems
Inside the Beltway
Both lanes are reserved for HOV-2 eastbound in the morning and westbound in the afternoon.
To: Theodore Roosevelt Bridge
Days: Monday - Friday
Eastbound: 6;30 a.m to 9:00 a.m.
Westbound: 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m

Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,904 times
I leave Bristow at 5:30am and arrive in DC usually by 6:30am, that's driving by myself exiting rt 66 at Nutley st and taking rt 50 because of HOV restriction.
VRE is good but takes longer and if you miss the train you'll have to wait a long time for next one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia