Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 PM

172 posts, read 563,803 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is an old topic - did a quick search & couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. My 7 yr old started playing sports when he was 3. We are from Texas, and as one can imagine - sports is big time here & they start 'em early!
So I'm trying to determine just by reading some of these posts which towns/suburbs may be more "active" in youth sports, especially football. I've seen posts about soccer, baseball & swimming, but it doesn't appear that football is as big in VA as it is in Texas. We're now looking towards the Ashburn (a co-worker of my DH calls it "CAshburn" ) area, and possibly Haymarket/Gainesville. We also really like Vienna, but it may be over our budget ($500K). Is there any one particular area that's more involved in youth sports than others? It doesn't appear the areas closest to DC are as much, if at all involved. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
You're right -- football is just not as big a deal here, especially in the close-in suburbs. McLean, our local school when we lived in northern Virginia, had an abysmal football team, but the upside of that was that, for kids who loved to play, it was much easier to get a spot on the team. The top bands and orchestra, however, were another story entirely.
The further out you go, the more football you'll find, especially in the smaller communities without the hard-driving, ambitious, immigrant-heavy populations of Fairfax and Loudoun counties.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 AM

385 posts, read 1,260,138 times
Vienna had an excellent youth football league (probably still does). As you stated; it may be too expensive. West Springfield is top notch and has more affordable homes. Central Springfield Little League was World Champions in 1993 or 1994 (they did lose to Taiwan, who was found to have an illegal player). The Braddock Rd. Youth Club is also serious. You could live in North Springfield or further West--Kings Park, Stonehaven, etc....They are very sports minded in the Woodbridge/Garfield area; but I'll let you read all the posts here about those places. There are still many families that live and breath youth sports. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Eastern Loudoun County.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Eastern Loudoun County.
I live in the Ashburn area, and while my kids have a few years yet until organized sports, I do know that a lot of kids around here are very involved. I don't know about regular football, though I do know there is a flag football league for younger kids. Soccer, of course, is huge. Hockey too - probably because of the Ashburn Ice House. One of my friends has a 6-year-old son playing hockey and they are already traveling out of state for games at that age. Lacrosse is becoming more popular too. Oh, and swimming - most developments have large and active swim teams, and there are two different leagues.

Sorry I can't help with the football question - I've lived in Texas, so I know how it can be there, and it's definitely not like that here.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Eastern Loudoun County.
Normie nailed it (as is so often the case). Look, in particular, for the areas around Ashburn that feed into Stone Bridge HS - it's become quite a magnet for football-oriented families.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
Ashburn has Ashburn Youth Football League and NOVA Flag. AYFL did away with flag football altogether last year and has "D League" (aka anklebiter league) for 6 and 7 year olds. D League is still tackle football, but it's a little more teaching the game than big hits, although some of those little kids are tough. Beauty of the Ashburn area for football is that the Redskins have their training area here so there are several who live in the area. Check out ayfl.org for more info. Don't know much about NOVA Flag but you could probably google them for more info.

In addition to football, the Ashburn area has a very active Little League program, lots of community swim teams, tons of karate places. There are a lot of sports related options for the kids. Not too sure about basketball but I heard that the league is small and you have to essentially camp out to get your kid in. It's not like that with the other sports.

JEB77 is right about the Stone Bridge HS football team-it's top rated. HOWEVER, the county is having HUGE boundary issues relating to the high schools, especially Stone Bridge, right now, which are totally unresolved and may not be resolved for awhile. So don't base your home purchase on proximity to Stone Bridge-there has been talk about people directly across the street being bussed 5 miles to another school. Big, ugly mess and probably fodder for another topic altogether...

Can't speak to any of the other areas you are looking. Good luck with your search.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM

10 posts, read 65,367 times
I live in Bristow and my 8 year old son is on the Gainesville Grizzlies flag football league. They also have regular football I think that starts in Aug./Sept. Go on their website and check it out. Gainesville-Haymarket Youth Football League - News

Old 05-05-2009, 06:37 PM

31 posts, read 147,395 times
I heard Chantilly (SYA) has a really solid youth football program.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,138 times
The better high school programs will generally have good YC that feed into it. Manassas had middle school teams (interscholastic). I had never scene that in FCPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia