Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times

Advertisements

I am posting this for a friend/coworker who was asking about a place in Virginia to possibly meet single women. He's a rather good looking guy with a solid career. We briefly talked about it and he said - I like Outback, so maybe I'll go there and hang out at the bar. Ok, that's an idea....any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Hmmm. My experience is that single women do not go to bars to get hit on by lame single guys they don't even know. Mostly they seem to go to bars in groups of two or three to have a few drinks and talk and maybe laugh at the lame single guys trying to hit on them. Places like work, school, the gym, Barnes & Noble, and the grocery store are probably better bets. Better yet, join some sort of coed social club or interest group. Check your local community parks and recreation guides for ideas.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:58 PM

373 posts, read 820,887 times
What saganista said. How old is this guy? As I've said repeatedly on this forum: bars are the last place you'll find decent women. Not that decent women don't go to bars -- they do, with their friends -- but they're likely not going to be picked up by random dudes. You meet women at work, through friends, and in activities you like to do. Activities you *truly* like to do tend to yield better results than forced socialization events.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Anything artsy. Especially gallery events, museum receptions, etc. Tons of super-attractive women at these, and not many straight guys who didn't get dragged there by their wives!

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-28-2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
From their commercial, TGI Friday's seems to be trying to re-brand itself as some sort of pick-up joint.

What everyone else said, with an emphasis on joining a social group with with he'd share common interests. Meetup.com would be a good place to start.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM

947 posts, read 1,401,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Anything artsy. Especially gallery events, museum receptions, etc. Tons of super-attractive women at these, and not many straight guys who didn't get dragged there by their wives!
Not that I ever tried this myself, but I heard about an interesting technique re artsy stuff. Go to a museum or art gallery, find a woman you're interested in meeting who's intently examining up close some piece of art on the wall, and stand a couple of feet behind her. When she backs up for the inevitable look at a greater distance, she bumps into you and voila, the ice is broken!

But you have to pick carefully by chosing which artist she's looking at, which will give you an idea or two about her personality:

Frederick Remington - Cowgirl! A dude ranch vacation with her is in your future.
Norman Rockwell - Better plan on life together in a small New England town.
Andy Warhol - She, not you, gets first dibs on the Sunday comics.
Keith Haring - In the dark of the night she's out tagging highway overpasses.
Pablo Picasso - Watch out; her head may not be on straight.
Salvador Dali - Run while you can; better pick another woman to bump into.
Vincent van Gogh - She can have many different moods, but whetever else you do, don't quote her that line from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, "Friends, Romans, countrymen..."

Hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:43 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Your friend would probably do better on a weekend morning at a coffee place. It's a more relaxed setting and less fraught with "pick-up" context. It's more likely he'll find women alone, often reading. Plus he'll know how they look when they get up in the morning.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:12 AM

159 posts, read 277,966 times
Try Arlington, Alexandria, any of the bike trails such as W&OD and Mt Vernon or the professional sporting events in the area.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Borrow a puppy and he'll get instant results.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Not that I ever tried this myself, but I heard about an interesting technique re artsy stuff. Go to a museum or art gallery, find a woman you're interested in meeting who's intently examining up close some piece of art on the wall, and stand a couple of feet behind her. When she backs up for the inevitable look at a greater distance, she bumps into you and voila, the ice is broken!

But you have to pick carefully by chosing which artist she's looking at, which will give you an idea or two about her personality:

Frederick Remington - Cowgirl! A dude ranch vacation with her is in your future.
Norman Rockwell - Better plan on life together in a small New England town.
Andy Warhol - She, not you, gets first dibs on the Sunday comics.
Keith Haring - In the dark of the night she's out tagging highway overpasses.
Pablo Picasso - Watch out; her head may not be on straight.
Salvador Dali - Run while you can; better pick another woman to bump into.
Vincent van Gogh - She can have many different moods, but whetever else you do, don't quote her that line from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, "Friends, Romans, countrymen..."

Hope this helps.
Brilliant!

And by all means, if you see a chick looking at the M.C. Escher piece--or, worse, H.R. Gieger--RUN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia