Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,022,586 times

Advertisements

Now that says a lot, not only about the quality of the schools but about the way of life here and the priorities people have. Congrats to all you parents out there, this is your victory too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,880,312 times
That's the philosophy that Jay Mathews believes in. Put average students in AP or IB classes, they do better than they would than if they were in normal classes. So he designed the rankings to reward schools that do this.

Compare this to my high school, in that they only put the very best students in the AP classes because it was expensive to operate and they only had a limited amount of slots. I prefer the Fairfax County method.

However, average SAT scores tell a different story and there are significant differences between the schools in the area.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,915,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
.... it may be premature (wishful thinking?) to think the debate over the quality of the local schools will be put to bed any time soon.
My headache has come back *sigh*

Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,373,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplayer View Post
Some schools pay for the kids to take the exams. I believe MCPS is one.
FCPS also pays for the tests so that they can boost their rankings. It is debated all the time whether they should do this or not, especially in tight budget years. Personally, I think they should cut it except for lower income families.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:11 PM

106 posts, read 384,977 times
It's funny that all schools teach to the same SOL's, all students have to take (and pass) the same SOL's to graduate, yet some schools are 'better' than others.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:01 PM

515 posts, read 1,697,115 times
I'm not overly impressed with Matthews methodology. But I think his results are of some value.

At the very least, they are consistent with what I have long contended here: WE DONT HAVE ANY BAD SCHOOLS HERE IN FAIRFAX. All of our schools are good, it's just that some are better than others.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:33 PM

32,632 posts, read 77,844,693 times
Great! This is all the evidence I needed to know that I WAS RIGHT (despite what you all said) in that school pyramid thread brou-ha-ha a while back in which people were wetting their pants to beat their chests proclaiming this school as good and that school as "bad" (in order to justify to themselves that they just "had" to pay the premium in housing prices to be in the "best school that money can buy.") As I said, even what you folks call a BAD school in NoVA is STILL an AMAZING school by national and state standards. Heaven forbid Little Johnny can't go to Harvard or Yale though, right? You'd have to be an idiot to argue with me that the NoVA schools are NOT excellent. If you pay $100,000 more for a home to live in a more "exclusive" district, then the joke's on you when your child would have succeeded in a cheaper area.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:35 PM

32,632 posts, read 77,844,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
WE DONT HAVE ANY BAD SCHOOLS HERE IN FAIRFAX.
(Grabs popcorn in anticipation of cha-cha line of angry Desperate Housewives trying to come up with idiotic excuses of as to why it was "essential" to pay top-dollar for over-inflated housing in "the best district money can buy" when ALL schools are great! )

Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,970,729 times
Hahahaha, this list has been a joke since Jay Mathews began doing it. It's meaningless to parents who know about education and actually look at what it measures.

And yes, FCPS pays for the kids to take the tests, and require that all students in an AP or IB class take the test. Even if they all fail the test, they still make Jay's list!

It's a very silly thing for FCPS to brag about. Too bad they can't brag about things like raising the SAT scores for Black students, or even for white students. Or how many more kids can read by 4th grade or how many more are reading on grade level by 8th grade. Or opening a second school like TJ because 6 times more students apply than can be accepted. Or how they've really changed academics in low preforming high schools. FCPS hasn't improved any scores, or anything else, in well over a decade.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,970,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
I'm not overly impressed with Matthews methodology. But I think his results are of some value.

At the very least, they are consistent with what I have long contended here: WE DONT HAVE ANY BAD SCHOOLS HERE IN FAIRFAX. All of our schools are good, it's just that some are better than others.
Of course! And all the children are above average with very attractive parents who make buckets of money. LOL

Lake Wobegon, right here in Fairfax county!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia