Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 AM

86 posts, read 249,917 times

Advertisements

I always hear people say i am going to retire here, or move there but its never really staying in NOVA. So my question is

1: where would you go if money were no issue
2: where would you go if you had to worry about money, but got that "one" job.

if money were no issue, id be tampa/clearwater area

and if i had to get a good job somewhere or retire elsewhere...well yeup itd still be tampa area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,160 times
I'm sure this thread will be moved b/c it is not NoVa specific, but I'll bite.
In a perfect world I'd move back to Denver in a heartbeat but it'd be a city approx. the size of Atlanta or bigger.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
You're right; this thread isn't NOVA-specific, as it stands. If we could redirect the topic to focus on "dream" towns or neighborhoods in NOVA, then we won't have to move this thread to the General US forum.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 AM

428 posts, read 1,114,484 times
My answer to both questions would be to stay right where I am. I grew up here and love it here, moved away for college, and got back here as soon as I could (which wasn't nearly soon enough).

As for where specifically I'd live, I don't know... If money were no object, I'd love to live in Lake Barcroft, but I've also always loved Vienna and parts of NW. Deciding might be tough. But that's the kind of problem I'd love to have!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
We've been in NOVA for almost 29 years, and it was always our plan to move out of the area when we retired. Well, my wife and I retired in March of 2008, and we're still here.

If you don't have to commute, this area is a wonderful area for so many reasons - so much to see and do, plenty of stores, churches, restaurants, museums, parks, activities ....

.... if it wasn't so darned hot and humid during the summer, I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my days right here.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Anywhere in the country...I love Bucks County in PA...Close to NYC, Atlantic City, Jersey Beaches, downtown Philly, Hershey Park, not too far of a drive to DC, etc.

Nova: I live in Ashburn but if money was no object I think I would move to Great Falls as the area is so central to all the working places and the homes are lovely.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
I currently live on the edge of the big development in Ballston. It's getting a bit too busy here for my taste. I would like to move to the Arlington Westover area near the little business district. Or Vienna or Falls Church near the W&OD trail. I'm a retired DC native so want to stay where I'm familiar with everything.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM

722 posts, read 1,980,757 times
In all the world, I'd probably choose Boston. My years there were the best years of my life so far.

In all of NoVA, give me a townhouse smack in the middle of Ballston.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM

34 posts, read 39,124 times
It would be great if VA Beach was as close as the Potomac River.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Um..anywhere in US? If money were no object then I'd say NYC. If money is an object then Atlanta I'd be closer to family and friends and I like the south but love being in a big city.

Here in NoVA? Well I've been saying I wanted to move closer in for a good little bit. So I'd go with Clarendon that's my dream neighborhood. Especially if I've got it like that. Also I really like Old Town.

If money is still an issue. Do I have to move? I have a pretty good deal right here in Oakton it's nice and safe but at the same time I can be having a beer in the city within 30 minutes (if I can find parking). I also like Reston. I'd pick Burke if I was getting my family on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia