Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,961,020 times

Advertisements

LOL, if you hate hearing cicadas the best solution is to move to the city. All the city noises drown out the sounds of nature. Heavy traffic... people on cell phones.... or the noises of apartment buildings (babies crying, people fighting, late night parties, etc.) The city has a whole bunch of sounds that will keep you from hearing the cicadas.

ps. This might be another good reason to rule out moving to Brambleton. You'll hear lots of sounds of nature out there. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that you don't like hearing cicadas. Just saying you probably won't like living in Brambleton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:03 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,721,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, if you hate hearing cicadas the best solution is to move to the city. All the city noises drown out the sounds of nature. Heavy traffic... people on cell phones.... or the noises of apartment buildings (babies crying, people fighting, late night parties, etc.) The city has a whole bunch of sounds that will keep you from hearing the cicadas.
Not necessarily, they were so loud this year that we had to turn the volume of our TV way up if we opened a window. Even then it was hard to hear. I live right next to the highway, but there weren't any other sounds that could distract us from those crazy things. I think they even drowned out the alert system tests that they play occasionally in the neighborhood (or maybe it comes from the Capitol, I really don't know).

I only like cicadas if I don't see them. Once they come flying out of a bush at my head it's war.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:39 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Not necessarily, they were so loud this year that we had to turn the volume of our TV way up if we opened a window. Even then it was hard to hear. I live right next to the highway, but there weren't any other sounds that could distract us from those crazy things. I think they even drowned out the alert system tests that they play occasionally in the neighborhood (or maybe it comes from the Capitol, I really don't know).

I only like cicadas if I don't see them. Once they come flying out of a bush at my head it's war.
They WERE very loud this year. We had them in Pennsylvania too, you know. They were irritating because I'd often have to go in and sit on the toilet for a while to try to read because I couldn't focus hearing them from every room in my apartment.

UPDATE: No way! Can I really truly be hearing them AGAIN?! Don't they go away in October?! UGH!!

Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
UPDATE: No way! Can I really truly be hearing them AGAIN?! Don't they go away in October?! UGH!!
They're looking for love... the holdouts are the desparate ones that can't find a date. Maybe should go check out that cougar hangout in Bambleton!

BTW if they just can't find love at all, the first frost will kill off the last of the bachelors.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
They WERE very loud this year.
Maybe they were louder because they had to compete with people talking on cell phones?

Old 10-05-2009, 04:10 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Maybe they were louder because they had to compete with people talking on cell phones?
Can you hear me now? GOOD!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:02 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,721,309 times
Quote:
They WERE very loud this year. We had them in Pennsylvania too, you know. They were irritating because I'd often have to go in and sit on the toilet for a while to try to read because I couldn't focus hearing them from every room in my apartment.

I know, I've heard them all my life. Normally the sound doesn't bother me, but I noticed that this year it was pretty bad. For Brood X in 2020 (or whenever) I might just plan to be conveniently "out of town". I didn't see any in Philly the last year they came, but heard it was bad here and in Baltimore.

And yes, when I walked outside yesterday morning I said "are you freaking kidding me?" out loud to myself. I hadn't heard them in a while, so I thought we were firmly in cricket season (which also freak me out...I don't like it when I walk and thinks are jumping all over the place).

Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
One good thing about the stink bugs: I just heard that they keep down the population of Japanese Beetles. I'd rather have a stink bug than a Japanese beetle any day.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,800,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
One good thing about the stink bugs: I just heard that they keep down the population of Japanese Beetles. I'd rather have a stink bug than a Japanese beetle any day.
Just another way China is beating out the Japan.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 AM

71 posts, read 363,636 times
I found 2 within 3 days after I opened my patio door to let in the nice breeze. I'm not really sure about the smell---as soon as I noticed them--I quickly found my husband's size 13 sneaker and went to squashing! I do know for sure they stain---the magic eraser wasn't able to do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia