Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Whom Do You Intend to Vote for Next Governor of VA?
Creigh Deeds (Democrat) 38 46.91%
Bob McDonnell (Republican) 43 53.09%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times

Advertisements

I haven't decided. I'm just glad McAuliffe is out, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I already voted (absentee) but I won't say for whom.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
You would vote for a man who wrote of the need to legally punish homosexuals, because he's the more eloquent of the candidates?

Who, in his questioning of a judge to see if she was fit to remain a judge, brought up the rumors of her being a lesbian as something that would disqualify a judge from serving on the bench?

Not only did he attend Monica Goodling School of Theocrapublican Law (Regent... er...Christian Broadcasting University when he attended - and not accredited at that time), he also served on its board.

Now, as to economics - McDonnell is playing a shell game with the money.

Off-shore drilling? Give me a break. That's not going to happen. The area in question is estimated to contain 6 days' worth of oil, and 18 days' worth of natural gas.

Sell the liquor stores? It's a one-time revenue gain, not enough to make substantial improvement in fixing the roads.

Tolls on the highways? I believe we'd lose federal funds if we did that.

And is McDonnell really "Fairfax's Own"? Funny, down in Hampton Roads, his signs say "Hampton Roads' Own". He grew up here in NoVA, but he made Virginia Beach his home when he came back to Virginia.v

Virginia is a low-tax state. Deeds is being honest - if we want improved roads, we'll have to pay for them. Gilmore tried going the route of "all tax = evil", and the state suffered. Especially education.

Deeds has not run a good campaign - he should have used the thesis issue sparingly, and not as a sledgehammer. It's not true that it's his only issue, but people are convinced it is because he has done a terrible job in controlling the message.

I voted for Deeds in the primary because I thought he represented all of Virginia, not only NoVA. I thought he would have appeal with those in ROVA (but I suppose I'm a terrible judge of ROVA attitudes). To me, he sounds sensible, and as a Democrat, he represents my values much more than McDonnell.

I encourage you to read more analysis of McDonnell's economic positions.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Just a friendly reminder to please stick to the issues, avoid a broader national debate and most important, respect each other.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:30 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
I am glad to see that the majority here are like the majority of Virginians and have the good sense to support a real leader, Bob McDonnell.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2009 - Virginia Governor - McDonnell vs. Deeds

I might also point out that half of Bob McDonnell's appointees are women as is half of his staff at his office. He also has many gays working for him. He has NO problem with either women or gays. He's VERY proud of his highly accomplished daughters.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:23 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
I suspect McDonnell will win, but I can't vote for him - I just don't trust what he says. I voted for Deeds in the primary. He seemed more genuine than his competition, and he seems that way in the general election as well.

I'll vote for Deeds.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:41 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Yes, he does seem genuinely confused!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I already voted (absentee) but I won't say for whom.
Nicely said. Thanks for voting, but most of all thanks for not taking a political side.

Damn, we have such a good forum here. I hate see it get ruined. Haven't you guys seen the damage political discussions have done to other forums? They turn it into nothing but a place for bickering, bashing, and childish behavior. People from other states show up on your forum just to trash "the other side" and nobody seems to have much regard for the truth. The helpful people get turned off and disappear, so soon all you have left is people trashing each other.

I do not want to see this happen with our forum. So like Tone, my official stance is everyone should vote. But I'm not saying who I'm voting for, either.

Last edited by normie; 10-15-2009 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
I'm not a big fan of either candidate. I think Virginia needs to get rid of the governor term limit. It doesn't give anyone a chance to really build momentum, and the position seems to have become merely a "stepping-stone" to bigger and better things. Not that governors shouldn't move on, but I'd rather see someone who's truly dedicated to the job rather than someone who knows it's only temporary and has his/her eyes on the next step.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:16 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
I don't know I think McDonnell will probably win. The thing that keeps me from being on his side is the fact that he is sooooooo socially conservative. On one hand the republicans have made it clear that me and my ilk (black and gay) are simply unliked and unwanted by them. At the same time even the left leaning, Deeds endorsing Washington Post admits that Deeds doesn't have a very clear plan on what to do about the traffic in this area (most important to me). He is spending too much time focusing on that darn thesis.

Also I want to point out that McDonnell may have lived in Fairfax county but he's longer from here he lives in more conservative Virginia Beach. So I don't know how well he will have our (Northern Virginians) best interest at heart.

I'm not feeling either candidate to be quite honest. Deeds doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed but McDonnell as mentioned personally doesn't like me. So yeah unfortunately the social conservatism is a deal breaker I'm relunctantly cheering for Deeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia