Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Whom Do You Intend to Vote for Next Governor of VA?
Creigh Deeds (Democrat) 38 46.91%
Bob McDonnell (Republican) 43 53.09%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
No worries.
Tip of the hat to you, Tone. You called it correctly and I'm delighted to see my worries were unjustified.

And kudos to our forum members, it's great to live in a place where we can discuss topics like this and be civil about it. I like living in a purple state, our diversity is what makes us strong. And I'm proud to see that people here respect each other's right to have diverse opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:44 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I'm surprised how tight this poll is! I still firmly believe that McDonnell is leading state-wide. Northern Virginia is really the only major part of the state where Deeds is performing very well, thanks to so many people being turned off by McDonnell's questionable (and often times unpopular) record on social issues.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:15 PM

142 posts, read 567,296 times
I also voted last week by absentee, but won't be saying who either

I was just discussing this with a friend today, but I definitely love the fact that Virginia is a purple state. Granted, it doesn't mean we're perfect, and I think both candidates have their share of a hot mess, but there's room for discussion and actual learning rather than going gung-ho for one side.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:59 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adctvmonkey View Post
I also voted last week by absentee, but won't be saying who either

I was just discussing this with a friend today, but I definitely love the fact that Virginia is a purple state. Granted, it doesn't mean we're perfect, and I think both candidates have their share of a hot mess, but there's room for discussion and actual learning rather than going gung-ho for one side.
I dont quite understand why people talk about the various political races such as our current race for governor but dont feel freely to disclose who they voted for. For me I am proud as an American to have the right to vote and after doing I am proud for who I voted for rather that person wins or looses. If I dont feel strongly about either candidate then I dont vote. My point is why vote for someone if you dont feel proud enough to say who you voted for? Let alone discuss the race with other people and still not disclose it. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:55 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I dont quite understand why people talk about the various political races such as our current race for governor but dont feel freely to disclose who they voted for. For me I am proud as an American to have the right to vote and after doing I am proud for who I voted for rather that person wins or looses. If I dont feel strongly about either candidate then I dont vote. My point is why vote for someone if you dont feel proud enough to say who you voted for? Let alone discuss the race with other people and still not disclose it. Just my 2 cents.
Discussing political views can be a controversial topic - which is why I imagine there is a forum here called Politics and Other Controversies - so I can understand why some members would choose to discuss their concerns about both candidates without disclosing who they're leaning towards.

The civil discussion that has taken place thus far is very much appreciated.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:47 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
For whatever weight it might carry, the Washington Post has endorsed Deeds.
Mr. Deeds for Governor - His transportation realism and Mr. McDonnell's bogus roads plan present Virginians with a stark choice on Nov. 3.
I thought the editorial did a good job in describing exactly why the Post favors Deeds over McDonnell. While they list several reasons, the major reason they give is transportation, an issue that is near and dear to just about everyone living in Northern Virginia, but an increasing concern elsewhere in the state as well.

The editorial also is dismissive of the thesis written by McDonnell and its impact on or importance to the election, and instead points to McDonnell's 14-year record as a lawmaker.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:21 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
For whatever weight it might carry, the Washington Post has endorsed Deeds...

Well, that's hardly surprising...

What do you want to bet that the Rev Moon (Washington Times) will endorse Bob McBlowdried??

Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 PM

This is tough! I was 75% in the bag for Mr. McDonnell, but the Washington Post DOES make numerous valid arguments in favor of his opponent. Now I'm back to being 50/50 again!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The civil discussion that has taken place thus far is very much appreciated.
Agreed. I admittedly posted this thread with a lot of concern about the hot-headedness taking off uncontrollably, but I, too, am very pleased by the results so far. The poll's respondents are just about evenly-split, and while some of us have been critical of our chosen candidate's adversary, we haven't (for the most part) singled out any particular member to slam them. This is a model political thread! I posted here because I thought it would be stupid to post it on the Politics & Other Controversies forum where perhaps 4 people would have honestly cared (even though this is a good bell-weather election to show that Virginia IS still safely "purple" and has not yet turned "blue").

Old 10-18-2009, 09:07 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
This is tough! I was 75% in the bag for Mr. McDonnell, but the Washington Post DOES make numerous valid arguments in favor of his opponent. Now I'm back to being 50/50 again!
Scrannie, please read this response to the Post's predictable and less than honest endorsement.

Campaign Spot on National Review Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia