Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Whom Do You Intend to Vote for Next Governor of VA?
Creigh Deeds (Democrat) 38 46.91%
Bob McDonnell (Republican) 43 53.09%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:43 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,966,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm surprised how tight this poll is! I still firmly believe that McDonnell is leading state-wide. Northern Virginia is really the only major part of the state where Deeds is performing very well, thanks to so many people being turned off by McDonnell's questionable (and often times unpopular) record on social issues.
I am very surprised, and heartened, by your poll. If McDonnell is ahead here, in NOVA, there is NO WAY that Deeds can win, or even come close. Perhaps the landslide will be even bigger than the polls are showing: RealClearPolitics - Election 2009 - Virginia Governor - McDonnell vs. Deeds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 05:34 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,464,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
Scrannie, please read this response to the Post's predictable and less than honest endorsement.

Campaign Spot on National Review Online
Seems to me that anything from the National Review is both predictable and less than honest. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,247,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I am very surprised, and heartened, by your poll. If McDonnell is ahead here, in NOVA, there is NO WAY that Deeds can win, or even come close. Perhaps the landslide will be even bigger than the polls are showing: RealClearPolitics - Election 2009 - Virginia Governor - McDonnell vs. Deeds
We have a sample size of 66 so far here, so I don't think we can conclude McDonnell is ahead in NoVA based on CD respondents.

Actual polls show Deeds is leading in NoVA (51 to 42), and has a "statistically insignificant" lead in Hampton Roads. McDonnell has large leads in other areas of the state.

Poll: McDonnell leads Deeds, 48 percent to 40 percent | Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/state_regional/state_regional_govtpolitics/article/POLL11_20091010-222007/298724/ - broken link)

Old 10-19-2009, 12:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,154,884 times
Virginia politics is like Virginia weather. You think it's going to be predictable but there always seem to be last minute surprises.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 PM

32,626 posts, read 77,796,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Virginia politics is like Virginia weather. You think it's going to be predictable but there always seem to be last minute surprises.
Coming from a heavily-"blue" state like PA it is nice to live in a "purple" area for a change. I've turned from being a hardcore liberal to being a moderate, and now I find myself throwing my support behind Mr. McDonnell.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 PM

628 posts, read 1,937,303 times
A vote for a Republican will be interpreted as a vote against Obama's first months in office, thereby minimizing any chances for progressing beyond the Bush/Cheney years. It will make the Becks, Limbaughs, Hannitys, and O'Reillys of the world happy. It will make Republicans believe that their bi-partisan "No" philosophy is working. It will cause the "birthers" and "deathers" to believe their scare tactics are working. Do you want any of this? Until Republicans at the national level decide to work with Dems for the good of the country, I will not vote for a single Republican at any level.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 PM

515 posts, read 1,696,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
Until Republicans at the national level decide to work with Dems for the good of the country, I will not vote for a single Republican at any level.
Hello??? How can the GOP work with Dems "for the good of the country" when the latter dont even invite the input of GOP legislators? And when amendments by GOP are typically voted down along party lines, if entertained at all.

Look what is going on right now with the healthcare bill in the Senate. Reid, Dodd, and Baucus are writing the bill in private. If you cannot acknowledge that Democrats engage in reprehensible exclusion of the GOP when they are in power, you have no objectivity.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,515,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
Hello??? How can the GOP work with Dems "for the good of the country" when the latter dont even invite the input of GOP legislators? And when amendments by GOP are typically voted down along party lines, if entertained at all.

Look what is going on right now with the healthcare bill in the Senate. Reid, Dodd, and Baucus are writing the bill in private. If you cannot acknowledge that Democrats engage in reprehensible exclusion of the GOP when they are in power, you have no objectivity.
The Democrats were elected, in part, to reform health care. Republicans sat on their hands when they were in power and did absolutely nothing but obstruct any change in the status quo. They have nothing to offer and are in a political quandry-----their base will attack anyone who even hints at a compromise (Olympia Snow is the current object of right wing scorn). The Democrats are taking the lead in this debate without Republican input because Republicans have no input. Every single poll I've read on the issue leads me to believe that Americans overwhelmingly want health care reform. This is a national emergency and Congress needs to be held accountable. For once they need to listen to the will of the people and not the will of those who line their pockets.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 AM

8,993 posts, read 21,221,958 times
Let's get back to Deeds vs. McDonnell please. A debate on national issues can be discussed on the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,696,617 times
Latest poll: McDonnell up by 14%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia