Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be the best city for me?
Reston 7 17.07%
Arlington 25 60.98%
Alexandria 8 19.51%
Other (please explain!) 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 PM

12 posts, read 34,764 times

Advertisements

The facts:

I'm a single male
I like to have a fun time on weekends but am not a weekday boozehound
I'm 25
I currently live in Chicago
I'll be working in Herndon, VA in November
I can afford up to $2000/mo rent
I have a car that I don't mind driving to work
I will be commuting to work 3 days a week

The problem:

I stayed in Herndon several weeks ago to see if I wanted to transfer offices. The town of Herndon seemed a bit dull but I do like the D.C. area.

I don't know where to live. Everyone tells me Arlington, but it seems like it's full of a bunch of people in their 20's with rich parents. I could be totally wrong...but the town seemed a bit fake to me. However, I went out a couple nights there and had a great time.

My thoughts:

Reston Town Center area (seems like cougar central, though...lol)
Clarendon/Ballston
Old Town Alexandria

So, I'm asking y'all for advice! I want to meet a new group of friends, find the perfect lady, and have a nice pad! What do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manosteel00 View Post
The facts:

I'm a single male
I like to have a fun time on weekends but am not a weekday boozehound
I'm 25
I currently live in Chicago
I'll be working in Herndon, VA in November
I can afford up to $2000/mo rent
I have a car that I don't mind driving to work
I will be commuting to work 3 days a week

The problem:

I stayed in Herndon several weeks ago to see if I wanted to transfer offices. The town of Herndon seemed a bit dull but I do like the D.C. area.

I don't know where to live. Everyone tells me Arlington, but it seems like it's full of a bunch of people in their 20's with rich parents. I could be totally wrong...but the town seemed a bit fake to me. However, I went out a couple nights there and had a great time.

My thoughts:

Reston Town Center area (seems like cougar central, though...lol)
Clarendon/Ballston
Old Town Alexandria

So, I'm asking y'all for advice! I want to meet a new group of friends, find the perfect lady, and have a nice pad! What do you say?
If you're not a fan of the Arlington bar scene, then you might enjoy Old Town better. It has a wide range of bars and there are definitely more down to earth bars/restaurants in Old Town then Arlington. The downside is the crowd will be a little older in general...though not always the case. I'm 26 and live in Old Town and enjoy it. You'll definitely be able to find an apartment in your price range there as well.

Also, thought I'd add, I make the commute from Old Town to Reston daily, and it's really not too bad of a commute.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:01 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Financially your best bet would be Reston because its cheaper and closer to work. I'm actually trying to move to Arlington so I do like the area and it has a wider range of housing. Sounds like Old Town would be your best bet as far as neighborhood goes. They're all good choices though.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I voted for Alexandria before seeing you'll be working in Herndon. And I voted "best for me", not "best for you".

I've lived in Arlington (Clarendon and Ballston), and in Alexandria City just outside of Old Town.

I also feel that Arlington has gotten a bit fake-feeling, but I attribute my feelings to being an old fogey . I lived there in the late 80's and early 90's when the bars with live music were just starting, it still had a dive atmosphere, and there was nothing chic or trendy about it. But I understand why it's popular, and it's a convenient urban alternative to living in DC.

What I like about Alexandria is that it's an actual town. I didn't get that feeling in Arlington. And I don't expect that Reston Town Center would give me that feeling either - I've been there a few times, and it's a manufactured instant "city" in my view.

In Alexandria, you'd have opportunities to meet people while walking or jogging along the riverfront, especially Founder's Park, for example. People congregate around Market Square, Torpedo Factory, and other places as well, plus there are frequent events and a sense of community. The Torpedo Factory often has live music, art shows, and other special events. You could also easily get to Arlington for entertainment/social life.

The commute from Alexandria would be the longest of the 3, but not a terrible one. Plus, you say it would only be 3 days a week. Although I personally prefer short commutes, I could live with that, considering I prefer life in Alexandria.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
If I were young and single ( I am neither) it would be Alexandria in a heartbeat. As someone posted earlier, it feels more like a "real" place. Just walking around is a history lesson and it is easy to get into DC. We lived there when first married, but couldn't afford to buy there. You should be able to find a rental for $2000 close to the Metro and commuting to Herndon or Reston is not intolerable even if you do it everyday.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:04 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
I'd still go for Arlington - yes there are some rich kids pretending to be urban animals in the suburbs, but it's a great environment overall for singles in the 20s and 30s, and you'd be close both to your job and to DC.

Alexandria is great for the occasional visit, but I'd make real sure you can handle large quantities of twee (Old Town) and hip (Del Ray) before you pick it over Arlington.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
As a 22-year-old middle-class professional male I'd say no to Reston. I, too, was working in Herndon when I first moved down here and wanted a relatively stress-free commute to work. Reston was the closest thing to "city" that I could find in this portion of Fairfax County, and even then the "hip" town center really does just feel like a fake "instant city" as someone upthread put it. I'm guessing Reston Town Center would indeed be "cougar central." I'm a gay male and have had the cougars' male counterparts hitting on me.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 PM

318 posts, read 466,969 times
Well I guess I fall into the Cougar class here, but am throwing in my 2 cents. First glance at your post, I thought Alexandria in a heartbeat. Reston is families... and in my opinion, everything there is orchestrated to be beautiful 24/7. Which can be lovely! Arlington did seem fake to me as well - but I have had a great time bar hopping in Clarendon. Alexandria has it all... fun nightlife, you can find a nice place to live, and it is very very "real" and historical.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:59 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
Reston is families... and in my opinion, everything there is orchestrated to be beautiful 24/7. Which can be lovely!
Meh. For me Reston definitely has a slightly Stepford vibe to it. It's almost a little bit TOO "perfect" and well-polished. It's like the high school quarterback who is also a straight-A student, a polyglot, a black-belt, a culinary master, a Facebook/Twitter butterfly, and will never sprout a pimple! People here almost have an air of superiority to them---as if they identify themselves as being better than people in some other places. Where's the grit? Where's the potholes? Where's the wayward limbs on trees? Where's the dust? Where are the front porches in need of repainting (or the front porches in general?) All of these things give soul and charm to a community---I don't feel as if Reston really has enough "soul."

Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 PM

12 posts, read 34,764 times
Y'all are awesome.

I really enjoyed reading the posts above. You guys really hit the nail on the head. When I spent time in Arlington for the week I was out there, it felt like a bunch of fake and snobby kids that have been fed with silver spoons. Reston and RTC truly does look like it spawned overnight to be a hangout for professionals in the area. I spent 2 nights there and it was pretty lame.

I'm all about character. I've never seen Alexandria, but it sounds pretty sweet. Herndon, Reston, and Arlington seemed nothing but a bunch of uncharacteristic buildings with people making more money than they deserve.

Now, at the same time I'm having trouble imagining myself in a 15' wide row house in old town...but I'll need to take a look around. I still want to be in a position to meet people in their mid-20's that are down to earth...and it sounds like Alexandria might offer that.

Honestly, I can't see myself living in a huge high rise and being the urban warrior since I was brought up in the midwest suburbs...but I do enjoy the mix of urban & suburban living. Reston just kind of makes me want to puke. Arlington seems like a fun time, but I dont drink during weekdays and it seems like I would like most of the guys there would be tools. Alexandria it is then? Any other alternatives for somewhat conservative guy that loves the outdoors but still wants to be in touch with civilization?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia