Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be the best city for me?
Reston 7 17.07%
Arlington 25 60.98%
Alexandria 8 19.51%
Other (please explain!) 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosteel00 View Post
Y'all are awesome.

I really enjoyed reading the posts above. You guys really hit the nail on the head. When I spent time in Arlington for the week I was out there, it felt like a bunch of fake and snobby kids that have been fed with silver spoons. Reston and RTC truly does look like it spawned overnight to be a hangout for professionals in the area. I spent 2 nights there and it was pretty lame.

I'm all about character. I've never seen Alexandria, but it sounds pretty sweet. Herndon, Reston, and Arlington seemed nothing but a bunch of uncharacteristic buildings with people making more money than they deserve.

Now, at the same time I'm having trouble imagining myself in a 15' wide row house in old town...but I'll need to take a look around. I still want to be in a position to meet people in their mid-20's that are down to earth...and it sounds like Alexandria might offer that.

Honestly, I can't see myself living in a huge high rise and being the urban warrior since I was brought up in the midwest suburbs...but I do enjoy the mix of urban & suburban living. Reston just kind of makes me want to puke. Arlington seems like a fun time, but I dont drink during weekdays and it seems like I would like most of the guys there would be tools. Alexandria it is then? Any other alternatives for somewhat conservative guy that loves the outdoors but still wants to be in touch with civilization?
After reading this post, I can't think of a better area in NOVA than Old Town for you. I mean if you like character, you're not going to find another place in northern virginia with more. Also, there are plenty of apartment complexes in that area easily within your price range so you won't have to live in an old rowhouse. Old Town is not as urban as Arlington and not as suburban as Reston in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 01:31 PM

12 posts, read 34,793 times
Thanks, that's great to hear. I'll be spending several days runnning around trying to find a place once i get there. Are there any specific apartment recommendations in Alexandria that would be a good fit?

Old 10-17-2009, 01:50 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Thanks, that's great to hear. I'll be spending several days runnning around trying to find a place once i get there. Are there any specific apartment recommendations in Alexandria that would be a good fit?
Anywhere in the Carlyle area which is on the western edge of Old Town. It's a short drive to the Beltway as well as walking distance to both the King Street and Eisenhower Avenue Metro stations. It's a community of higher-end apts and condos. I can't think any specific apts but if you type "Old Town Carlyle apts" into your favorite search end, you should be able to find a lot of options. Safety won't be an issue; price may be if you want more than 1 bedroom.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:33 PM

182 posts, read 540,719 times
It's a toss up between Old Town and Arlington, but I'd give the edge to Arlington because it will give you an easier commute. As someone who has lived in Reston and Arlington, I'd definitely pick Arlington as it's a lot more fun, has more character, and just provides you with much easier access to DC than Old Town and Reston.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:24 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
That is a point. Sounds like Old Town would be the spot but that commute to Herndon would be a doozy without traffic but the rush hour traffic to Tysons can be rough.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Meh. For me Reston definitely has a slightly Stepford vibe to it. It's almost a little bit TOO "perfect" and well-polished. It's like the high school quarterback who is also a straight-A student, a polyglot, a black-belt, a culinary master, a Facebook/Twitter butterfly, and will never sprout a pimple! People here almost have an air of superiority to them---as if they identify themselves as being better than people in some other places. Where's the grit? Where's the potholes? Where's the wayward limbs on trees? Where's the dust? Where are the front porches in need of repainting (or the front porches in general?) All of these things give soul and charm to a community---I don't feel as if Reston really has enough "soul."
Can't say I concur. I mean I thought grit, dust, and potholes were bad things. Clean is a good thing. Be glad you live in a nice safe place where people aren't getting shot all the time.

Also not everyone likes front porches. I like the neat and cleanliness of Reston. If living the urban life is a priority no I don't think Reston is the best choice but at the same time I say Reston lacking gritiness is a good thing.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Y'all are awesome.

I really enjoyed reading the posts above. You guys really hit the nail on the head. When I spent time in Arlington for the week I was out there, it felt like a bunch of fake and snobby kids that have been fed with silver spoons. Reston and RTC truly does look like it spawned overnight to be a hangout for professionals in the area. I spent 2 nights there and it was pretty lame.

I'm all about character. I've never seen Alexandria, but it sounds pretty sweet. Herndon, Reston, and Arlington seemed nothing but a bunch of uncharacteristic buildings with people making more money than they deserve.

Now, at the same time I'm having trouble imagining myself in a 15' wide row house in old town...but I'll need to take a look around. I still want to be in a position to meet people in their mid-20's that are down to earth...and it sounds like Alexandria might offer that.

Honestly, I can't see myself living in a huge high rise and being the urban warrior since I was brought up in the midwest suburbs...but I do enjoy the mix of urban & suburban living. Reston just kind of makes me want to puke. Arlington seems like a fun time, but I dont drink during weekdays and it seems like I would like most of the guys there would be tools. Alexandria it is then? Any other alternatives for somewhat conservative guy that loves the outdoors but still wants to be in touch with civilization?
Actually, Arlington could still be a good spot but you can't base your entire experience in Arlington soely on time spent in Clarendon though. There are all kinds of parts to Arlington. I prefer the quieter parts myself, as far as living goes. While Old Town sounds more like your spot I wouldn't call it super exciting. It has nightlife but it's pretty pleasant and nice, not as lively as say U Street on a Saturday night.

Maybe Falls Church or Vienna would be a better fit. Neither have nightlife but they're nice and pleasant. At the end of the day if you want excitement with character DC would be the better choice but that would involve an unpleasant commute though. The average person in Northern Virginia doesn't live all that close to nightlife. Even though I just advised against it due to the expense of it all but if excitement is really the ticket then maybe DC is the place.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:44 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
My first thought after reading your preferences was Old Town. It's got character, restaurants/bars (but a slightly older crowd), and you could find an apartment in a townhouse or something to rent. If you don't have to be near the Metro station, you can try looking into places along the river or further south on Washington Street. They would be cheaper than places right by the Metro. Carlyle is mostly highrises, but a nice complex.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:08 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Where's the grit? Where's the potholes? Where's the wayward limbs on trees? Where's the dust? Where are the front porches in need of repainting (or the front porches in general?) All of these things give soul and charm to a community---I don't feel as if Reston really has enough "soul."
LOL, a town without potholes sounds good to me. Last month you said Lake Anne was "run down." Now it's too perfect?

Getting back to the OP, Arlington gets my vote. Get it out of your system and then move to Reston when you get sick of th commute.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, a town without potholes sounds good to me. Last month you said Lake Anne was "run down." Now it's too perfect?

Getting back to the OP, Arlington gets my vote. Get it out of your system and then move to Reston when you get sick of th commute.
Lake Anne is still never going to feel worthy of being called "historic" to me. I suppose the basic gist of my grievance is that there is hardly any character in Reston. There are homes selling for $50,000 in Vandergrift, PA with natural woodwork, front porches, backyards with picket fences, stained glass windows, etc. that I'd buy in a heartbeat over boring earth-toned homes with beige interiors selling for $500,000 in Reston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia