Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 AM

49 posts, read 127,038 times

Advertisements

So with all this rain recently we've been looking for things to do rather than sitting in the house all day with our 4-year-old. We don't want to just go to the Mall or other places where we are compelled to spend lots of money! And of course H1N1 is a concern, so places that are teaming with other kids (or adults) are also not good options. We've considered area nature centers, but not sure those would hold enough interest for a very active 4-year-old to last more than a half hour max... Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Rainy Day Activities - Keep Kids Busy Inside with Rainy Day Activities

Some great suggestions here. My grandkids also like the Air and Space Museum in Sterling and the climbing wall in Claude Moore park. But 4 might be a little young for those things.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:14 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,309,954 times
As normie mentioned, the Air & Space Museum (Udvar-Hazy) is great - it's a giant hangar with lots of open space - you're not smushed close together with germy people like other museums. There are two different flight simulator rides ($) and lots of neat things to see, including the control tower, which has great views. There's also an IMAX theater. The only downside is the parking fee - $15 - but when you consider that there's no admission fee, it's really not that bad if you mentally divide it by the number of people in your car (that's how I make myself feel better about it, anyway). We've taken visitors of all ages there - my 15-month-olds even enjoyed it.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:23 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,599 times
The Powhatan Springs rain garden in Arlington is fun.

Powhatan Rain Garden

Old 11-01-2009, 08:55 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Have you tried the Hidden Oaks Nature Center in Annandale? It will hold a 4-year old's attention for awhile. They have some climbing things, dress-up, animals, buttons to press, etc. I've brought my kids there a few times, and it's always fun for an hour or so. Plus it's pretty close to Vienna.

Hidden Oaks Nature Center

I agree about the play areas and the germs. It's hard to get away from. I haven't tried the new Chick-fil-A in Fairfax, but it looks like they have a big play area - indoors, I think.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:02 PM

27 posts, read 75,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
As normie mentioned, the Air & Space Museum (Udvar-Hazy) is great - it's a giant hangar with lots of open space - you're not smushed close together with germy people like other museums. There are two different flight simulator rides ($) and lots of neat things to see, including the control tower, which has great views. There's also an IMAX theater. The only downside is the parking fee - $15 - but when you consider that there's no admission fee, it's really not that bad if you mentally divide it by the number of people in your car (that's how I make myself feel better about it, anyway). We've taken visitors of all ages there - my 15-month-olds even enjoyed it.

If you go after 4:30 (museum closes at 5:30), parking is free.. At least it used to be.

I too like this museum for it's many interesting features- as well as the anti-claustrophobic layout.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Just curious--what did you end up doing? Hope the day went ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia