Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:48 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,719,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of Mazdas lately. People in NoVA are getting better with their taste!
I've always loved the Mazda 3. When I went to buy my sedan-type car in 2002, I was seriously looking at the Mazda 3. It was the "it" car in that class then and they were not negotiating. When I found that it had roughly the same gas mileage as the Toyota Camry, was the same price, but, it seemed, much less of a car (space-wise, seating comfort, etc), the better buy was the Camry. Of course, the Camry does not have the "cute" factor but I just felt I had to go in that direction. Next year I will be back on the market for a small, commuter car. Frankly, the Corolla bores me to tears so I will be back looking at the Mazda 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM

61 posts, read 157,545 times
Maybe for some...especially with the Vanity plates.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 AM

4,479 posts, read 8,184,345 times
Just remember Mazda = Ford

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM

648 posts, read 1,337,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS1811 View Post
Having lived in Orange County along the coast for 4 1/2 yrs, and now living in Fairfax COunty for a year, hands down more people live and die by the car out in Southern California than they do here. I have definitely seen more crappy older cars here in NOVA than I ever did the OC and other parts of LA County. I have all over SOuthern California on a daily basis with my job out there and I can also say that the abundance of nicer cars are going to be in the more affluent areas, particularly along the coastal areas with some exceptions of some nicer affluent areas inland. I dont get the vibe here that people really care about that crap about what kind of car you drive in NOVA

I absolutely agree with this.

But here's some food for thought: some people in this thread seem to imply that leasing a car is because you really can't afford it or are trying to project a certain status. Has anyone ever considered that car leasers lease because they don't want to own a car?

My car now is the first car I've ever leased; the ones I've actually bought before, I keep no longer than 3 years which inevitably results in me being upside down on it. I got tired of it! I have found that leasing works for me because I live close to my home (don't have to watch mileage) and I get sick of cars really quick.

A side note about people's situations and why not to judge them - you have no idea what their situation is. I'm in my early 30's, not married, no kids and have owned a home for almost 11 years now. My mortgage is ridiculously cheap. I got a Range Rover because 1) I really love those cars and 2) most of my income is discretionary. I choose to spend my income on nice cars.

That being said, because of VA's car tax, I will try and get rid of it STAT.

Cheers!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
I absolutely agree with this.

But here's some food for thought: some people in this thread seem to imply that leasing a car is because you really can't afford it or are trying to project a certain status. Has anyone ever considered that car leasers lease because they don't want to own a car?

Cheers!
I didn't read this whole thread but, personally, I never even thought that people leased because they couldn't afford. I never thought leases were all that cheap because there was usually some huge signing cost. I always had the impression that leases were for people who just liked getting different cars every so often--that didn't find the joy in holding onto a car for 10 years.

There are various reasons I would not lease--the biggest being that I put roughly 20,000 miles per year on my car.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 PM

648 posts, read 1,337,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I didn't read this whole thread but, personally, I never even thought that people leased because they couldn't afford. I never thought leases were all that cheap because there was usually some huge signing cost. I always had the impression that leases were for people who just liked getting different cars every so often--that didn't find the joy in holding onto a car for 10 years.

There are various reasons I would not lease--the biggest being that I put roughly 20,000 miles per year on my car.

Before I leased, that's exactly what I thought, too - and still think that

Old 08-13-2010, 03:55 PM

32,632 posts, read 77,840,492 times
Quote:
I've always loved the Mazda 3. When I went to buy my sedan-type car in 2002, I was seriously looking at the Mazda 3. It was the "it" car in that class then and they were not negotiating. When I found that it had roughly the same gas mileage as the Toyota Camry, was the same price, but, it seemed, much less of a car (space-wise, seating comfort, etc), the better buy was the Camry. Of course, the Camry does not have the "cute" factor but I just felt I had to go in that direction. Next year I will be back on the market for a small, commuter car. Frankly, the Corolla bores me to tears so I will be back looking at the Mazda 3.
For what it's worth I've never met a fellow Mazda3 owner who wasn't either a female or a gay male. Straight male Mazda3 drivers, where art thou? I drive a 2008 bright red Mazda3, and I've been very pleased with it thus far. It's sporty, has a lot of pep, and is a real head-turner! I tend to average around 30 miles per gallon on the highway, which isn't bad (although I'd love for Mazda to come out with a hybrid model). ZOOM, ZOOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2009 View Post
Maybe for some...especially with the Vanity plates.
I actually want to get a vanity plate soon that reads "IM A TOOL". I hope that's not already taken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Just remember Mazda = Ford
And? Being derived from an impoverished part of Pennsylvania I drove a 1998 Ford Contour before buying my Mazda last year, and part of the reason why I stayed with the Ford family was because of how thrilled I was with the reliability of my first vehicle (albeit it wasn't a very attractive one). Which one of the "Big 3" didn't take a bailout?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I actually want to get a vanity plate soon that reads "IM A TOOL". I hope that's not already taken!
It's available! I might just go order this tomorrow!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth I've never met a fellow Mazda3 owner who wasn't either a female or a gay male. Straight male Mazda3 drivers, where art thou?

I know one!! My co-worker bought the little hatchback shortly after they came out. He's definitely straight but an older guy. He just like everything about it and his was the first one I rode in (which got me interested). I prefer the sedan. Are they still making the little hatchback?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I know one!! My co-worker bought the little hatchback shortly after they came out. He's definitely straight but an older guy. He just like everything about it and his was the first one I rode in (which got me interested). I prefer the sedan. Are they still making the little hatchback?
Nice to know that those rare creatures known as heterosexual male Mazda3 drivers do exist. LOL! Yes, they do still make the hatchbacks. I know searching for a new vehicle can be overwhelming, but most other Mazda3 owners I know are very pleased with their vehicles as well. I purchased my 2008 sedan in Spring 2009 for about $15,000 (putting $4,000 down and trading in my old car for $1,000), which provided me with very manageable monthly payments of just over $200/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia