Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,123,276 times

Advertisements

Amen to that. Would have liked this to have happened sooner, but with Virginia's tobacco-growing past and Philip Morris USA headquartered in Richmond, it's not surprising this took a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 PM

120 posts, read 218,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_monk View Post
No.
Not helping Ohio, don't think it will help Virginia either.

Find Smoking Restaurants Home

Old 12-01-2009, 06:47 PM

120 posts, read 218,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Absolutely will encourage non-smokers. I am happy for the restaurant staff as well. This is a victory for them! I can't imagine working in that kind of environment inhaling other people's cigarettes all day long.
Their are plenty of jobs I would not do, so I don't. Restaurant staff that's bothered by smoke can work in the 75% of the restaurants that are non smoking. The Restaurant staff that prefers smoke limits their search to the other 25% that are smoking. You see how that ratio works. The free market has business resembling the population that it serves.

It's such a great day in Virginia when you can take something that works that well and bring in big government to break it.
It makes as much sense as a law requiring restaurants to accommodate smokers.

Find smoking restaurants Home

Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 PM

660 posts, read 1,710,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I do not smoke and I do not like smoke, but I personally think that Virginia's priorities are off when you can't smoke in a restaurant but you can openly wear a handgun in one. (just my humble opinion)
Agreed. I almost never think "the market" should sort things out, but the market was doing a pretty good job in this case, as even today's Post article pointed out that 75% of restaurants had already enacted anti-smoking policies by the time the law took effect.

Moderator cut: Off-topic

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-01-2009 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: Off-topic: Smoking in restaurants, not gun control, thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 PM

372 posts, read 1,119,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe III View Post
Not helping Ohio, don't think it will help Virginia either.

Find Smoking Restaurants Home
I don't know why people think there are THOUSANDS of people not going to restaurants because of the smoke. If the food is good enough, if the right band is playing or whatever, people will be there no matter what. It has nothing to do with smoke. The people that don't go out to eat, don't go out to eat because it's expensive to go out to eat all the time, not because they can't deal with the smoke. Restaurants will not see an increase in sales, actually, they'll probably see a decrease in sales because smokers are more likely to just stay at home where they can smoke in their own home.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM

323 posts, read 510,167 times
Quote:
I don't know why people think there are THOUSANDS of people not going to restaurants because of the smoke. If the food is good enough, if the right band is playing or whatever, people will be there no matter what. It has nothing to do with smoke. The people that don't go out to eat, don't go out to eat because it's expensive to go out to eat all the time, not because they can't deal with the smoke. Restaurants will not see an increase in sales, actually, they'll probably see a decrease in sales because smokers are more likely to just stay at home where they can smoke in their own home.
So you believe that non-smokers will just settle and see events regardless of whether there's smoke or not, yet smokers will avoid places where they cannot smoke?

Just to provide an update on how all of this is turning out, I was down in Clarendon this evening and can see that this law has some holes in it. At RiRas smoking was still occurring in the main restaurant bar area. When I asked the server what the deal was, he said that the back room area (much smaller, no bar) was the non-smoking area. It apparently satisfies the requirements because it has a door to a patio, although it is not an "entrance" per say (the law requires there to be an entrance into the restaurant into a non-smoking area). I understand Whitlows has segregated their bar into smoking and non, and Hard Times has also built two separate spaces for smoking and non. I think there will be a lot of issues over the next few months as this law is tested and pushed to see where the boundaries are.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:43 PM

372 posts, read 1,119,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
So you believe that non-smokers will just settle and see events regardless of whether there's smoke or not
yes, i've never heard someone say they aren't going to a place that has GREAT food just because of the smoke or they aren't going to see a GREAT band just because the facility allows smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
yet smokers will avoid places where they cannot smoke?
it's the law now. no, i think smokers will be less likely to go out to the bar/restaurant, because they can't smoke while they drink now, but they can at home.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:58 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,612,164 times
Quote:

No they won't be there. The best food or band won't matter if smoking is there. There are many people that literally cannot go near these type restaurants because of Asthma. That is a different ball game than finding the smell of smoke disgusting. The asthmatic is deathly afraid they will have an attack triggered by the smoke. They must avoid some times tons of restaurants, and their only choice is the smoke free fast food joint.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 PM

1,589 posts, read 3,563,433 times
I eat out at least once a week. Yes, I do avoid smokey restaurants -- like the plague

Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 PM

323 posts, read 510,167 times
Quote:
yes, i've never heard someone say they aren't going to a place that has GREAT food just because of the smoke or they aren't going to see a GREAT band just because the facility allows smoking.

it's the law now. no, i think smokers will be less likely to go out to the bar/restaurant, because they can't smoke while they drink now, but they can at home.
It is the height of arrogance to assume non-smokers will or should just kowtow to the smoking minority. The threat that smokers wield all this economic power by not eating out but non-smokers will just put up with it and spend money anyway is a demonstration of how warped out society has been for the past 50 years when non-smoker's rights were just given lip service. As if a flying sealed aluminum tube could keep air separated on two sides of the plane, or a half wall in a restaurant made both sides happy.

It has been true in the past that non-smokers have simply put up with the disrespect dealt them by the smoking public, but that time is no longer. We are not just the majority, we are the vast-majority. Anyone who finds it inconvenient to eat their food or drink their drinks without being able to take a drag off their cig needs professional help to break their chemical dependency. I frankly don't care what smokers do, as long as their habits don't affect me. Currently they do. Let's hope this law helps convince a few more to break the habit, or failing that, to do their habit in private where it will not be a burden on anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia