Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,025,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
Personally, I think tobacco should be just as illegal as marijuana
I totally agree with this... of course, I don't think marijuana should be illegal, either. Same reason, people should have the right to smoke if they want to (Although it STINKS so I wouldn't want to eat in a restaurant with people smoking weed. ) LOL, even though I don't smoke myself I might invest in a restaurant catering to potheads... people with the munchies buy lots of food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
Too bad the nation's founders didn't have the foresight to set up sprawling cannabis plantations as a major driver of the economy.
LOL, wonder how that might have changed history? Would we have won the American Revolution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 01:38 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,178,753 times
Maybe a marijuana restaurant could avoid the smell by discouraging the smoking, and instead serving it cooked up in brownies.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,744,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, wonder how that might have changed history? Would we have won the American Revolution?
Would we have started it?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Would we have started it?
Nah... they would have gotten halfway through the Boston Tea Party, gotten distracted, and decided have a party on the boat, instead. Besides, throwing heavy bags overboard will give you a mean case of the munchies.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:17 PM

26,711 posts, read 41,904,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I'm not a big smoker although a decent number of my friends are and I simply don't see how there will be thousands of non-smokers in Northern Virginia suddenly pouring into restaurants because of a smoking ban. Barring severe respiratory or other health problems I cannot imagine someone avoiding a nice place (that has smoking and non-smoking sections) just because they don't smoke. Sorry, but I would never turn down a meal at a place like Morton's just because people are legally..or were legally..allowed to light up inside.

I personally would rather sit next to a table of smokers than a table full of screaming kids whose parents just sit back like it's no big deal. I guess it's all about personal preferences but to me that is more annoying than someone blowing smoke my way.
Personally, I agree. I can't say I agree with this law fully though. If I were a business owner, I'd want it to be up to the needs of my business whether I'd allow smoking or not. I'm just not big on having decisions made for me or my business by big government.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,178,753 times
Went to Jimmy's the other day and it was packed. First time I've ever eaten there. I was afraid to eat there before, I always thought the residual smoke in the air would make the food taste bad. I found out I love this place, so I'm going back a lot.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:24 PM

32,632 posts, read 77,853,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Exactly. Tobacco is very much a part of our state's cultural and economic history. Tobacco leaves are carved into the stone work for our state capital. A lot of people here have a sentimental attachment, much like people in Pittsburgh would have a hard time outlawing steel mills, even though steel mills create toxins. It's hard to let go of things that are part of your history, even when you recognize that their time has pased.
Why should Virginia be proud of exporting something that ultimately kills people?

Old 12-09-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Went to Jimmy's the other day and it was packed. First time I've ever eaten there. I was afraid to eat there before, I always thought the residual smoke in the air would make the food taste bad. I found out I love this place, so I'm going back a lot.
I really think this has very little to do with the smoking ban. If that was your first time how do you know the volume of business before the ban?

Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why should Virginia be proud of exporting something that ultimately kills people?
ScranBarre, the fact is that tobacco made Virginia some serious green a long time ago. Not something the state is necessarily proud of but it's a fact.

Heck, as a African-American, i'm not proud my home state hung so many slaves but it's a historic fact.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
In the same way, you could ask why Pennsylvanians have a soft spot for Hershey. After all, eating too many sweets can ultimately kill people... it can lead to diabetes, obesity, and all sorts of life threatening conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia