Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 PM

32,636 posts, read 77,889,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
ScranBarre, the fact is that tobacco made Virginia some serious green a long time ago. Not something the state is necessarily proud of but it's a fact.

Heck, as a African-American, i'm not proud my home state hung so many slaves but it's a historic fact.
Well I know it's a "fact", but some people in this state act as if our history as a mecca for slavery and carcinogenic products is something to be "proud" of. It's not. I'm not proud that my own home area's history was comprised of many immigrants dying in coal mines for pitiful wages and lived in sub-standard housing while coal barons built the Victorian mansions you see dotting the region. The coal companies would honestly dump any bodies on front porches for the man's family to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM

628 posts, read 1,939,402 times
Yes. It will have minimal impact on those who smoke, because they will continue their restaurant habits. Non-smokers, however, will appreciate the smokeless environment and eat out more often than normal. Now, if we can just keep the smokers away from the restaurant entrances!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 AM

4,488 posts, read 8,197,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why should Virginia be proud of exporting something that ultimately kills people?
Tell that to the Irish and their Guiness. Heck I bet alcohol kills more people than tobacco.

Tobacco was a cash crop during colonial times. If Tobacco wasn't harvested in the US, the US probably would not exist.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:00 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,037,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Tell that to the Irish and their Guiness. Heck I bet alcohol kills more people than tobacco.

Tobacco was a cash crop during colonial times. If Tobacco wasn't harvested in the US, the US probably would not exist.
And why should Detroit proudly call itself Motor City? Don't they know cars kill people?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,215,712 times
As an ex-smoker, since coming to Virginia I have avoided any restaurants with smoking sections. The few I do eat in have secluded smoking areas and I sit as far away from them as I can. So this ban will open up many restaurants that used to be avoided by the vast majority of non-smokers.

As far as smokers staying home, that’s funny. Smoker’s have had to adapt to restrictions on where they can smoke everywhere other than restaurants. Yet they still smoke and still work, and still go to sporting events, and still go to government buildings and …

My least favorite argument centers around “let the restaurant owner decide.” Customers can just avoid the place, but it is the employees that pay the price. Do we allow patrons to target practice in restaurants? How about knife throwing or fire breathing? Or how many restaurants have you seen that cater to the sunbathers among us by mounting sun lamps all over the restaurant? Why don’t they do these things although there are probably customers that would like it? Because those activities would endanger everyone that worked there, and we don’t voluntarily expose workers to dangerous conditions. At least not anymore in VA.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,467,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Customers can just avoid the place, but it is the employees that pay the price. Do we allow patrons to target practice in restaurants? How about knife throwing or fire breathing? Or how many restaurants have you seen that cater to the sunbathers among us by mounting sun lamps all over the restaurant? Why don’t they do these things although there are probably customers that would like it? Because those activities would endanger everyone that worked there, and we don’t voluntarily expose workers to dangerous conditions. At least not anymore in VA.
Oh didn't you know the smokers answer to that argument too? The employees can choose not to work there.

Last edited by arielmina; 12-10-2009 at 08:23 AM..

Old 12-10-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Oh didn't you know the smokers answer to that arguement too? The employees can choose not to work there.
Yeah, I know, smoking is the one exception where workers must avoid a job to avoid breathing a toxic substance. At least the silliness is over.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:15 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,716,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Yeah, I know, smoking is the one exception where workers must avoid a job to avoid breathing a toxic substance...

No, there are plenty of occupations to avoid if you don't want to breathe toxic substances. Like welding....furniture and plywood manufacturing....the list of toxic occupational pollutants is endless.

Ever heard of the canary in a coal mine? They have fancy detectors nowadays, but there's gases in coal mines that will kill you right now, not decades from now.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
No, there are plenty of occupations to avoid if you don't want to breathe toxic substances. Like welding....furniture and plywood manufacturing....the list of toxic occupational pollutants is endless.

Ever heard of the canary in a coal mine? They have fancy detectors nowadays, but there's gases in coal mines that will kill you right now, not decades from now.
Your analogy would make a little sense if your mine owner was blowing the coal dust in your face, which is what restaurant owners are doing when they allow fires inside the working environment.

Listen, I've got nothing against smoking. I did it. But at least be intelligent enough to not do it around other people. That means not inside of restaurants.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 5,039 times
this is the ....thread ever all you people are yuppies and obviously dont understand you live in virginia where the state motto is sic semper tryannis which means thus to tryants meaning stay out of our personal business, like your restruant or bar where you should be able to make a decision whether or not it should be smoking or non smoking. plus where are all these people that have wanted to hangout in bars all day but not smoke at all. the fact is there isnt well maybe in arlington or other yuppie areas, I know for a fact at the bar cueball in west springfield that 95 percent of the customers smoke cigarettes. so yeah i would say it will effect business

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-11-2009 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: watch the language...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia