Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:03 PM

120 posts, read 218,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Let's hope this law helps convince a few more to break the habit, or failing that, to do their habit in private where it will not be a burden on anyone else.
That all smokers are trying to do. Do it in private that is. Private businesses know as restaurants where public is welcome but their presents is not required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
::raises hand::

I'm that person who avoids smoke-filled restaurants/venues in spite of any other GREAT things they may have to offer. I'm seriously allergic to cigarette smoke -- it causes a physical reaction in my eyes that's quite painful, way beyond the usual watering and redness -- so I avoid cigarette smoke whenever I can. No point in paying for a delicious meal or amazing show if it means I'm going to be in pain for the next couple of days.

I know I'm not the only one. We smoke avoiders are out there; you've just never spoken with any of us.
Of course your out there. I don't blame you one bit for avoiding. Your the consumer, your entitled to go where your needs are meet. As a smoker I avoid as well. As with you, this should be a free choice for me as well.
I'm sorry you suffer from cigarettes in such a profound way. Myself, I suffer from a sever over reach of state goverment.

smokefreelyva.com

Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
And I would rather smell cigarettes than listen to crying kids.
When I was a kid and acted like that, my butt got drug outside until I could behave myself.

smokefreelyva.com

Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 PM

29 posts, read 65,920 times
Default Yes!

I am SO happy that this finally went into effect. Yes, smokers have the right to smoke, but when I go to a restaurant, I have the right not to inhale their smoke and have my clothes ruined with that god awful smell. It gets into everything! We've had to leave our coats outside all night just to air them out..Yuck.

I am more likely now than ever to go to a place that used to have smoking. I am even more likely to stay...

Old 01-27-2010, 01:02 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,990,732 times
I have to admit I've been eating out a lot more since the ban took effect. I had fallen out of the habit of going to restaurants over the past five years, but since January we've gone out to eat a lot.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I have to admit I've been eating out a lot more since the ban took effect. I had fallen out of the habit of going to restaurants over the past five years, but since January we've gone out to eat a lot.
Find smoking restaurants here: Home

Prior to the smoking ban, only about 20% of restaurants offered smoking. So it was a bit more of an effort to find a smoking restaurant then it was to find a non smoking restaurant, but I never let that stop me. This is why it’s hard for me to understand how a non smoker would be discouraged from eating out. With 8 out of 10 being non smoking, how hard is that. Forgive me, but non smokers who want 10 out of 10 to be non smoking seem a little greedy to me. Kinda of like saying it’s all mine, mine, mine and nothing for you. I’m sorry, there is just no way more people are eating out now that an additional 19% have gone non smoking. 23% of restaurant goers are smokers. The removal of a smoking option will not increase dining out because the non smoking option was always there anyway.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittmom1 View Post
Yes, smokers have the right to smoke, but when I go to a restaurant, I have the right not to inhale their smoke and have my clothes ruined with that god awful smell.
Your right, you should not have to be around smoke if you don’t want to be. The nagging question is why you were. There were few that offered smoking prior to the ban. Why were you seeking out those few?
It is (or should be) the right of the restaurant owner to decided. It is their business not yours or mine.

Home

Old 01-18-2011, 02:28 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,990,732 times
So, now that it's been a year, what do you think of the smoking ban? We've been eating out more since the ban took effect, and it seems to me like the restaurants are now much more crowded. Is it coincidence, or do people really prefer eating out now that they now it's a smoke free environment?

Old 01-18-2011, 02:33 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,886,287 times
As for myself, I've definitely felt like eating out more in this state since the smoking ban took effect.

I still remember smelling cigarettes in my hair (pre-shower) the morning after eating at the Hard Times in Springfield a couple years ago. Ick. (I'm sure it P.O.d a lot of said establishment's regular customers mightily, though.. I think I and my boyfriend were the only ones *not* smoking in the entire restaurant.. or 'bar that serves food' [the Springfield location specifically], rather.)

Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,134,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
As for myself, I've definitely felt like eating out more in this state since the smoking ban took effect.
I totally agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia