Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:06 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,193,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
So you believe that non-smokers will just settle and see events regardless of whether there's smoke or not, yet smokers will avoid places where they cannot smoke?

Just to provide an update on how all of this is turning out, I was down in Clarendon this evening and can see that this law has some holes in it. At RiRas smoking was still occurring in the main restaurant bar area. When I asked the server what the deal was, he said that the back room area (much smaller, no bar) was the non-smoking area. It apparently satisfies the requirements because it has a door to a patio, although it is not an "entrance" per say (the law requires there to be an entrance into the restaurant into a non-smoking area). I understand Whitlows has segregated their bar into smoking and non, and Hard Times has also built two separate spaces for smoking and non. I think there will be a lot of issues over the next few months as this law is tested and pushed to see where the boundaries are.
Odd: knowing Arlington; I would think that city (yeah I know it is a county but it is smaller than Mesa, Az. where I live) would have banned smoking across the board 15 years ago-----------it was already banned in most retail stores back in 1978 when I was still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 01:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,136,244 times
FWIW, we ate out at O'Faolains today and I've never seen the place so packed.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:44 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,275,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
FWIW, we ate out at O'Faolains today and I've never seen the place so packed.

We were at Hooters today in Manassas and it had plenty of customers.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 AM

554 posts, read 979,135 times
Default passed a similar law in GA a few years ago

I am not sure of the exact law in Va, but they passed a no smoking law in Ga in 05. I don't think if really affected the patronage in many places. In Ga, the patio areas (outside) still allow smoking. In Ga, if the place doesn't allow children inside, you can still smoke. Pubs and sportsbars had to make a choice as to whether to kick out the kids or go non smoking. Also, in Ga, some places has seperate sections (each must be seperated from each other other with seperate ventilation systems)

Old 01-04-2010, 10:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,136,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
We were at Hooters today in Manassas and it had plenty of customers.
They say the girls at Hooters are smoking... but it has nothing to do with cigarettes.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:46 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,886,482 times
Yeah, I was surprised by the heavy smoke in places like the Springfield Hard Times Cafe when we first moved to NoVA from Prince George's County, MD (along with every other place I'd ever lived), which had already banned smoking in restaurants. But when I considered that this is the land of tobaccy, it all clicked. But, yes, I'm pleased about the ban - second-hand smoke gives me nasty migraines and makes my hair and clothing smell bad.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 PM

120 posts, read 218,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_monk View Post
I don't know why people think there are THOUSANDS of people not going to restaurants because of the smoke. If the food is good enough, if the right band is playing or whatever, people will be there no matter what. It has nothing to do with smoke. The people that don't go out to eat, don't go out to eat because it's expensive to go out to eat all the time, not because they can't deal with the smoke. Restaurants will not see an increase in sales, actually, they'll probably see a decrease in sales because smokers are more likely to just stay at home where they can smoke in their own home.
This is interesting. All these restaurants going out of business. Not a smoking restaurant among them.

Smokefreelyva.com

Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,713,607 times
[quote=Moe III;12598613]This is interesting. All these restaurants going out of business. Not a smoking restaurant among them.

I'm not buying it. I think this is more about the economy than about smoking. In this case it is just a coincidence
FYI: 42.7% of all statistics are just made up...

Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 AM

120 posts, read 218,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe III View Post
This is interesting. All these restaurants going out of business. Not a smoking restaurant among them.

I'm not buying it. I think this is more about the economy than about smoking. In this case it is just a coincidence

I think your right. It is more about the economy. The point I was trying to make is this. To spite the economy, no smoking restaurants are failing. With the smoking ban the demand for smoking restaurants outpaces the supply (by an extreme amont) . This is no way near true of non smoking restaurants. The laws of supply and demand help shield the smoking restaurants from economic downturn. In a good economy the lack of supply would help guarantee a smoking restaurants success.

Over 97% of Virginia restaurants are non smoking. 23% of restaurant patrons are smokers. Many of the non smokers could not care less whether a restaurant is smoking or not. From a purely business standpoint, having a smoking restaurant is nearly a lock. You would have to completely suck in every other aspect of restaurant ownership to fail.

It’s math, not coincidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post

Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,713,607 times
[quote=Moe III;12600272]I think your right. It is more about the economy. The point I was trying to make is this. To spite the economy, no smoking restaurants are failing. With the smoking ban the demand for smoking restaurants outpaces the supply (by an extreme amont) . This is no way near true of non smoking restaurants. The laws of supply and demand help shield the smoking restaurants from economic downturn. In a good economy the lack of supply would help guarantee a smoking restaurants success.

Over 97% of Virginia restaurants are non smoking. 23% of restaurant patrons are smokers. Many of the non smokers could not care less whether a restaurant is smoking or not. From a purely business standpoint, having a smoking restaurant is nearly a lock. You would have to completely suck in every other aspect of restaurant ownership to fail.

It’s math, not coincidence.

I see your point, but from a non-smokers view there's more to it. Many people (including myself) really don't like to deal with smoky bars & restaurants. It didn't used to bother me, but it does take a toll after awhile. I found myself avoiding the smoky places more often even though they may have been great places otherwise. It's obvious that there are fewer smokers now than 20 years ago, and I assume that the trend will continue. Smoking just seems so 80's, and not in a good way :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia