Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,969,607 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember what day it is? Some of us old coots have memories of the war. I can remember the ration books but not much else, I grew up on a farm and we did not have the blackouts. My husband can remember the blackouts and the block wardens, he grew up in Winchester. I'm sure Normie can chime in with a few memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,009,671 times
I was very young, so I barely remember Pearl Habor. Mostly I remember it because of the way my parents and my neighbors reacted to it--they showed us kids how to be healthy and strong. It shaped my attitude as far as realizing that you choose your emotions, and that it's important to find reasons to be positive in hard times, rather than choosing to wallow in fear or depression.

I remember we were going to cut our Christmas Tree right before the announcement hit. And then for about a week after, we didn't feel like putting up a tree. Thought it might be inappropriate. Then mom insisted on it, in fact she insisted we put more effort into decorating than ever before. We came to the realization that it was important to go on with normal life... and also that Christmas decorations were needed. I came to see that the point of hanging up tinsel is to spread a little cheer and keep spirits up during a tough season.

I also learned that life can be just fine even if you don't get everything you want all the time. Even though I was very young, to some degree I was affected by rationing just like everyone else. I developed a lifetime love of taking walks mostly because we had to walk--you couldn't drive much with tires and gas in short supply. We learned how to make it all work, and to be honest I think I benefited from this. It made us creative and resilient.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 AM

660 posts, read 1,709,271 times
Now that I think about it, I guess today is the 68th anniversary of the attack. But I'd never heard of a Pearl Harbor Day until reading your post, Margery.

Was it something that was celebrated/remembered more in the past? Or is it still a big deal in military communities?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Now that I think about it, I guess today is the 68th anniversary of the attack. But I'd never heard of a Pearl Harbor Day until reading your post, Margery.
Really?????? Wow, that's a staggering thing to realize. Suddenly I feel very old.

Yes, December 7th was called Pearl Harbor Day and was always noted, much like September 11th is noted these days. Over time that will gradually be forgotten, too. People will know that an event happened, but not feel anything in particular on that day. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:17 PM

660 posts, read 1,709,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Really?????? Wow, that's a staggering thing to realize. Suddenly I feel very old.

Yes, December 7th was called Pearl Harbor Day and was always noted, much like September 11th is noted these days. Over time that will gradually be forgotten, too. People will know that an event happened, but not feel anything in particular on that day. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
You're young enough to know how to participate in an online forum! My father is in his 60's and wouldn't know where to begin on CD, so you're young in my book

I'm not surprised that people used to commemorate the attack on Pearl Harbor. I think it's probably a good thing that we don't anymore, if only because it makes it easier to work with Japan. It'd be difficult to have a close alliance with a country if every year you had a national holiday remembering their aggressive or devious behavior towards you!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I'm not surprised that people used to commemorate the attack on Pearl Harbor. I think it's probably a good thing that we don't anymore, if only because it makes it easier to work with Japan. It'd be difficult to have a close alliance with a country if every year you had a national holiday remembering their aggressive or devious behavior towards you!
It wasn't a holiday, just a day where people tended to talk about it a little bit. There were always articles in the paper, and sometimes a civic ceremony. I don't have any Nova memories from the war years but I did happen to be here for the 30th anniversary in 1971. I was here on a business trip, and since I happened to be in town I went to a ceremony in DC. Wow, I remember that like it was yesterday. I remember people talking about how it had been thirty years--and that seemed like such a long time. And I was approaching 40 and felt like I was very old, indeed. Funny how the span between that ceremony and the date of the attack seemed like an eternity, but the same 30-year span since I went to that event and today seems like no time at all.

Last edited by normie; 12-07-2009 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 01:50 PM

428 posts, read 1,118,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You and me both, and I'm 39! I thought everyone knew about Pearl Harbor Day. (Not a jab at you, Stephen 81 -- it's not your fault if you didn't know about it -- just saying...)

My husband and I had the opportunity to get to know lots of WWII vets and their wives when we lived down in Texas, and we were privileged to hear their stories of Pearl Harbor and the subsequent war. They told us some chilling, harrowing, moving tales. All the more so because they were the ones who'd lived to tell them!

Thanks for the post, Margery. Personally, I think December 7th is indeed a date which should always live in infamy. Everything changed on that day. I don't know how we could forget it.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,364,994 times
I knew Dec. 7 was the day Pearl Harbor was attacked, but I went through the whole day without thinking about it being today. Thanks for the reminder! If I would've thought about it earlier, I would have mentioned it to my third graders in school. Actually, they are young enough that many of them don't realize the significance of Sept. 11. This came up with my 9 year old son the other day here at home. We were watching a show in which NYC was in the background and I commented that the towers are no longer there. He really had no idea why that was.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:11 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,969,607 times
For a real life personal accounting of that day go to http://PearlHarbor.realtown.com. I, too, do not feel we ever should forget this day no matter how long ago it was. I have read many estimates of U.S. dead, from 300,000 to 500,000. Hard to imagine how our parents bore up, after just living through the Great Depression.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 PM

125 posts, read 404,935 times
We went to Hawaii a few yrs back and my husband insisted on going to the Pearl Harbor Memorial. Had he not been with me, I would never have gone. We waited in line and I had only mild curiosity about the day. The doors opened and a vet ushered us in and went to the front of the room where he started a movie. It showed a calm warm, sunny day..much like the one the day we were there. Then the bombs hit and all the devastation. At the end of the movie he mentioned he was there that day..obviously a survivor and many of his buddies died.
We went outside and the day to me was like 9/11...gorgeous blue sunny skies. We took a short boat ride over to the USS Arizona, which is still upside down and leaking oil every day. The memorial is above it. People milled about everywhere and I happened to notice a uniformed man come out to the flag post, salute, lower the flag and fold it up, then put up a new one. They do this every few minutes to honor those who died. There was no announcement, no pomp and circumstance...just honor.
It ended up being one of my favorite days in Hawaii. I would go if you are ever there.

Here's to our vets: those who survived that day and others like it. Pearl Harbor memorial made me appreciate the day to remember those who fought back to protect us. Stephen: I'm glad you said something..it is a good reminder to those who don't remember this day. AND-there were many Japanese people at PH shaking their heads at the devastation that was caused. Longer than I anticipated but I really feel strongly about this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia