Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:02 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Hmm... isn't St. Athanasius a Missouri Synod Lutheran church?
There is a St. Athanasius Lutheran Church in Vienna, and a St. Athanasius Catholic Church (they are an independent church and don't seem to have a website) in Vienna.

OP might be interested in the Diocese of Arlington's Young Adult (20-30s) Ministry. Theology on Tap is very popular and starts up again on July 12 at Pat Troy's in Old Town. They also sponsor volunteer opportunities, which are a good chance to meet people.

Last edited by cdmurphy; 07-05-2010 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: blergh - busted links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
There is a St. Athanasius Lutheran Church in Vienna, and a St. Athanasius Catholic Church (they are an independent church and don't seem to have a website) in Vienna.
Yes the one I attended this Sun. was the St. Athanasius Catholic Church in Vienna that cdmurphy had mentioned above.

Quote:
OP might be interested in the Diocese of Arlington's Young Adult (20-30s) Ministry. Theology on Tap is very popular and starts up again on July 12 at Pat Troy's in Old Town. They also sponsor volunteer opportunities, which are a good chance to meet people.
Thx for the helpful suggestion

Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
BTW, I'm a huge fan of introverts and traditional/tabletop RPGs. Not looking, though - just saying that not every young(ish) woman out there is a party bimbo who, like, hates geeks 'n' stuff, know what I mean?
Lol...no worries, I think I understand exactly what you mean

Thx Alicia

Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 AM

47 posts, read 81,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
To be honest, I think you'll get better suggestions by posting a question like this on the Relationships Forum. Nova's no different than any other metro area when it comes to matters like this. IMO all we can offer is generic advice. Best of luck to you.
I was born in VA, but parents are from an arab country. Being shy in this area is not going to get you anywhere. I did not date any girls until i hit 20 and that was after i met some guys who taught me how to act.

Basically its true, be an ass and girls want you. They SAY they want a decent caring guy but thats only after they have been going out with the ass for a while. How do i know this you ask? Well before all i had was a few friends that were girls. After learning a few things, i never had any more friends that were girls but dates instead.

Now i dont have any friends that are of arab descent most of mine are hispanic, caucasian or asian so im more american than most.

I have NEVER been with a caucasian chick, they are rarely interested. I have been with euro but never caucasian.

Meetup does have some speed dating events though so thats a start. If you need somebody to show you the ropes and help you out let me know. I am always up for being a wingman. Although clubs and bars arent my thing as alcohol and smoking are a no no for me.

BUT i am going to look through this thread, because i really want to meet a girl that i can just be myself with and not game so i really hope theres a place.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Op, have you ever thought about becoming a doctor or a lawyer? Nurses or secretaries will be throwing themselves at you. ;-)

Old 07-23-2010, 01:30 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxhaxorz View Post
I have NEVER been with a caucasian chick, they are rarely interested. I have been with euro but never caucasian.
I am sure that sooner or later, a Caucasian American girl will fall for you, so do not give up all hope. I am fairly certain that there is a interracial dating/relationship Meetup group on there.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
After reading all of this, it's glad to see that the OP is making progress. So I want to put in my little conundrum in regards to dating. For my situation.

-I'm not really that shy, and love going out to bars and nightclubs. The problem seems to be a catch-22 where if you don't know anyone to go to places with, you look pretty awkward and it's hard to meet people, since everyone at those places seem to know each other already. That's why I never really tried meetup places that focused on Happy Hour and Bar-Hopping. Tried the two kickball leagues, but both turned out just to have a bunch of people who already knew each other from past seasons.

-Another reason why I'm not as social as I like is because I've sort of been turned off to talking with people, dealing with some of the anti-social, cliquish, self-segregating, and ****-off vibes that I constantly feel. It's sort of been the case of "why care" if all you're going to receive is the same old "you're not worthy of my time/not on my level" response. But to just note: I get a lot less of these vibes in Northern VA than I do in DC itself.

-Status seems to be one of the main drivers in the DC dating market, even if it's just for dating/having "fun." Whether it's "trust fund yuppie," "140 pound metrosexual," "powerful lawyer/politician," or "straight hood," if you aren't on the very top echelon, you don't stand a chance. Not to say that every woman in DC is like this, but the narrow standards seems very prevalent.

I know that I needed to work on some things about myself, so I've lost 50 pounds and counting, worked/toned out a bit, don't look like I'm pissed off all of the time, and started to not let the environment reflect me. But it seems like a pity when I have to be "perfect" before having any chance in the dating scene. The long term solution to this seems to be to move to a more socially friendly, laid-back, and integrated place like Denver, San Diego or Houston. But the economy is going to be the main determinant of when I will be able to do so.

So what would be great solution for a person like myself? And is the NoVA dating scene different that DC's?

PS: Sorry to the OP if it seems like hijacking the thread.

PPS: xboxhaxorz......lmao. You better not be one of those noob 10th prestige boosters on MW2.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 AM

Many thx for the kind words from The_Fairfaxian! (I just had the chance to take a look at your post just now, lol.) Also thank you very much for sharing the fasinating and very interesting details about your own experiences and approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
After reading all of this, it's glad to see that the OP is making progress. So I want to put in my little conundrum in regards to dating. For my situation.

-I'm not really that shy, and love going out to bars and nightclubs. The problem seems to be a catch-22 where if you don't know anyone to go to places with, you look pretty awkward and it's hard to meet people, since everyone at those places seem to know each other already. That's why I never really tried meetup places that focused on Happy Hour and Bar-Hopping. Tried the two kickball leagues, but both turned out just to have a bunch of people who already knew each other from past seasons.

-Another reason why I'm not as social as I like is because I've sort of been turned off to talking with people, dealing with some of the anti-social, cliquish, self-segregating, and ****-off vibes that I constantly feel. It's sort of been the case of "why care" if all you're going to receive is the same old "you're not worthy of my time/not on my level" response. But to just note: I get a lot less of these vibes in Northern VA than I do in DC itself.

-Status seems to be one of the main drivers in the DC dating market, even if it's just for dating/having "fun." Whether it's "trust fund yuppie," "140 pound metrosexual," "powerful lawyer/politician," or "straight hood," if you aren't on the very top echelon, you don't stand a chance. Not to say that every woman in DC is like this, but the narrow standards seems very prevalent.

I know that I needed to work on some things about myself, so I've lost 50 pounds and counting, worked/toned out a bit, don't look like I'm pissed off all of the time, and started to not let the environment reflect me. But it seems like a pity when I have to be "perfect" before having any chance in the dating scene. The long term solution to this seems to be to move to a more socially friendly, laid-back, and integrated place like Denver, San Diego or Houston. But the economy is going to be the main determinant of when I will be able to do so.

So what would be great solution for a person like myself? And is the NoVA dating scene different that DC's?

PS: Sorry to the OP if it seems like hijacking the thread.

PPS: xboxhaxorz......lmao. You better not be one of those noob 10th prestige boosters on MW2.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Default Fantastic news to report!! :)

OK, I have some absolutely fantastic news to report to everyone on C-D, especially those who were so kind as to provide their very helpful advice and feedback on my thread here: I have finally, after so much time and effort, found that very special, very sweet, first girlfriend <3 Of her own free will and volition, and totally unsolicited, she said those three magic words to me ("ILY"), that she had "fallen completely for me", that she loved me, and that she wanted so much to be my beloved girlfriend. She is the sweetest, most gentle girl I have ever talked to, and most amazingly of all, she loves me...and that, is all I could ever wish, or hope for

So happy atm, still basking in what she told me ("ILY"), ever so recently...

ETA: she and I can (and do, every day) talk for hours and hours, w/ each other, in sweet caring confidence with each other...I truly believe, that she has helped me successfully conquer, the earlier love-shyness that was holding me back previously, in finding a loving relationship w/ that special someone...

Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Wow, that's excellent news! Thanks for sharing that with us and best of luck to you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia