Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:46 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I suspect that the OP is looking for more substance than that...
Lol...in truth, I'm really just looking "Ms. Right". While I am reasonably and modestly well-to-do both professionally and financially, ideally I would hope that she'd care about more than just my financial status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treebw View Post
Knight, If you are that introverted and shy, how do you even get to date one? I find it hard to believe that an intorvert will date a lot (having numerous 1st and 2nd dates seems to be dating a lot, to me).
Finding dates, while challenging as an introvert, has happened for me, just not quite as often as I'd like (averaging about 4 per year if fortunate enough to). Plus if all else fails, I'm still subscribed to a pay-based traditional (not online) matchmaking agency that provides matches regularly based on compatibility and personality.

Quote:
You know what you should do?? I have seen some sort of TV show where they take you on a date and film everything and a 'date expert' tells you what you need to do differently.
A great suggestion...yes I am also receiving help since a few months ago from a dating coach / expert as well. Their feedback has been extremely valuable so far.

Quote:
See, I have the opposite problem...I never get asked out on dates, but when I chance upon someone that I end up on a date with it turns serious after the 1st date. Which can be just as bad.
[/quote]

I think I can understand how that can be challenging...but remember though when you find the one who's right for you, it sounds like you'll be in a very good position!

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 12-20-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 07:11 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,694 times
Honestly not trying to be snarky here, I'm being sincere -- are there actually a substantial number of women who play Dungeons and Dragons, or is joining that kind of group going to just draw you further away from social situations where you'd be mingling with and getting to know women?

Old 12-20-2009, 07:11 PM

I could try...although my family has been very vocal that they consider me to be a total failure romantically, and have made some very cruel statements in the past to the effect of "no one will ever want to marry you ever", so I tend to not talk with them much about potential love interests. My only close friend has repeatedly (incorrectly) implied I was gay, or at best asexual, when I tried to talk to him about it. But my dating coach has been very helpful in providing constructive feedback to me on ways that I can improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
One of the advice columnists, Ann Landers or Dear Abby, advised someone in the situation to ask a couple of close friends or relatives to be very, very honest about what seem to be the problems. Of course that only works if the person asking the question is willing to hear the answer and not hold a grudge. I know a few people who could benefit from this approach but they would be furious if their friends opened up and told them.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Regrettably, I'm allergic to dogs and cats (also pretty much any animal with hair). But thank you for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Do you like dogs? Volunteer to work with a rescue group or at the animal shelter. Better yet, get a dog through a rescue group. Then go to dog parks and other places with dog owners. They are usually a very friendly group.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:20 PM

Totally agreed -- I am certainly interested in attending church for genuine worship purposes. It's definitely not a thing for me about just going to meet girls or talk to people (although admittedly, it can also be a nice added benefit if it were to occur). I completely agree that the primary purpose above all to attend church is to worship God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I was also "love-shy" back in my youth. Met my wife in church. The thing about church though, is that I went there to find God, not dates. If I were only there for dates I would have struck out. The women I met, and later married, was there for the same reason. We became good friends immediately because of our common desire for God. I think it's the same for anything else you do, or social gathering you go to. If you're just there for dates the women will figure it out and run. In other words, don't get involved in something with the objective to get a date. Do something you like, or consider important (like going to church was, and still is, for me). You will end up meeting women and maybe one of them will lead to something great. That's how I overcame my shyness.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 12-20-2009 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Typo correction (duplicate word)

Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the comments, I definitely understand what you mean about not giving up. As an introverted personality, I have found 2 dates so far via traditional matchmaking agencies (to a certain degree of course), for meeting people that I wouldn't necessarily have met on my own randomly. Ultimately those dates didn't work out in the end though, but I haven't given up by any means. Since I signed up some months ago, so I'll have to see how that goes over time to give a final verdict on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Well first of all, the adage about there being a women/man for everyone is true. The women that are looking for the biggest dog in the pack are not going to be attracted to you, they will be busy chasing after Tiger lol They will live unhappy lives while their big dog keeps being chased and caught.

You need to go where you are comfortable because the ladies that find that place comfortable will be there too. This whole dating thing is a probability issue, you can't rush it or judge success/failure by single events (just because you flip heads 10 times in a row doesn't mean there isn't a tails). It's too depressing. Just keep associating with nice women and eventually someone will click.

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I could try...although my family has been very vocal that they consider me to be a total failure romantically, and have made some very cruel statements in the past to the effect of "no one will ever want to marry you ever",
Did they give you any specific reasons for this statement?

Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Is it possible you also have narcissistic personality disorder?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM

I seriously doubt it...I would certainly hope not?

I don't meet most of the criteria according to wikipedia page on it? I am essentially the polar opposite personality-wise of listed items below #4-9, and especially #6-9. Behaving in an arrogant, jealous, exploitative, uncaring/unemphatic manner toward others would be unthinkable and anathema for me...I'd feel too guilty about myself if I did that to others. Personally, I would think social-avoidant is much closer to my basic personality than narcissistic.

Quote:
Narcissistic personality disorder

Diagnostic criteria (DSM-IV-TR = 301.81)
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders fourth edition, DSM IV-TR, a widely used manual for diagnosing mental disorders, defines narcissistic personality disorder (in Axis II Cluster B) as:[1]

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
  1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
  2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
  4. requires excessive admiration
  5. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
  6. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
  7. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
  8. is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
  9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Is it possible you also have narcissistic personality disorder?

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 12-20-2009 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Further clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia