Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:27 AM

25 posts, read 36,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingIn2010 View Post
We're contemplating a move to Northern Virginia later this year. We have a 6 year old with Asperger's and a 3 year old on the autism spectrum as well. We're trying to find the best school district in the state to move to. Sadly, there isn't a whole lot of info on google. I look forward to hearing your opinions!! Thanks in advance for your help.

Springfield, Gainesville, Alexandria, Haymarket, Purceville, Arlington all have schools and programs within the schools that support children with special needs. Springfield had multiple elementary schools with a focus on socialization and behavioral supports. Gainesville also has multiple programs within their schools to support children with disabilities with a focus on mainstream education and behavioral supports. All of these localities have a large population of families with children with autism and have multiple support groups and activities for families. If you are in need of ABA therapists, speech and occupational therapists in addition to what is provided in school all of these areas have multiple providers.

Also what is the budget because that will also determine location.

K. Sumers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 903 times
I attended an IEP meeting for my son today. He currently attends Chris Yung which is a new school in PWC. All year I was told my son who is autistic (high-functioning) was showing a lot of improvement. This was right up until he was officially diagnosed with autism. Now today during the IEP I was informed it would be best if he was shipped off to another school that can accommodate his needs and where he can receive one on one support. Mind you we tried that for pre-school and he ended up in a classroom with 10 non-verbal children where he digressed tremendously because he is verbal. PWC is not equipped to deal with high functioning autism. The school and their "professional opinions" are designed to ensure these kids don't excel, thrive, and mixed with the typical peers. Dad and I are now forced to look into home schooling because our son made too much progress over the years to trust him in the hands of professional opinions that are not in the child best interest. He strives within routine, here we are in January of the new year after a two week holiday break looking to find him another school because this one has decided to kick him out.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 853 times
I have a child with ASD and tourrettes (TIC), school age, grades are a-c range but behaviors in school are tearing him and us up. Inappropriate comments , jokes, suggestions etc. school can't understand and treat like he's a threat or take his comments literally. its causing major issues at home. maxed out on therapy...ABA, Cranial sac., speech, OT etc. i can't be the only one. now psych says he has PANDAS ? someone out there has got to know what type of schooling he needs, recommend a DR. . were pro active all day long but he struggling. please comment

Old 02-16-2016, 09:19 PM

25 posts, read 46,554 times
We're in Stafford and have had a horrible experience with the school district as have several moms I talk to at the OT office.
A few friends have had good luck with schools BUT they all had a diagnosis in hand and transfer IEP moving to the area.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 696 times
My son will start kindergarten next year in autism class. They still haven't told us which school he will go to and schools are closing next Thursday. He was supposed to go to Bel Air elementary but they do not have special Ed class. Does anyone have any idea which school he may join? I have asked his current preschool a dozen times to give me some names like this or that but they appear to be in total ignorance.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:09 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Nawais, we were in the same situation as you until this week. Our daughter starts kindergarten next year too, and had no idea where she'd go for the program. Turns out the person who was responsible for setting up who's going where, passed away recently. So they're a little behind schedule with notifying people, but they're catching up. We heard just a few days ago actually. I think my wife had to call them again, but not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia