Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:27 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times

Advertisements

Let's not attack our neighbor across the river with a broad brush, since there are parts of Prince George's County that are on par with Fairfax/Loudoun neighborhoods. It's a very diverse county, and while it has structural issues with its public services, schools in particular, there are upper middle class/wealthy residents who live in the county, as evidenced by HH median income in the high $90k range in some communities. Close to the DC line, there is a higher concentration of crime, and associated social problems, but it's media hype that portrays the entire county as a dangerous area.

@cm143: In Vienna, you might be able to find something near the Metro around your preferred price point for a 2BR, though it might be slightly low for the area. I think that Regents Park offers pricing specials for longer term leases, but it's been a couple of years since I knew someone who lived in that complex, but they were paying around $1600 for a 2BR, IIRC. Downtown, there would be a limited supply of rentals, in general, since there aren't large apartment buildings in most of Vienna.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:39 PM

128 posts, read 413,356 times
First of all, I must give a big THANK YOU to everyone who has answered my questions so thoughtfully and thoroughly!

I should also explain that the person who has been warning me about the particular “bad” areas of Reston/Herndon is my 62 year-old mother ! We moved to NoVA from Johnstown, PA in the 1970s, and we/she lived in Reston for 30 years before moving to Ashburn about 5 years ago. My concern is that maybe, possibly, she doesn’t have an accurate picture of the “bad” areas??? Or, she is just being hyper-cautionary for her daughter ? Oh, and she’s never lived in an urban area. I want to trust her, but I also feel as though I need to recognize her experiences vs. mine .

The addresses/rentals that my mother gave an empathic “NO!” to are these: (My mother’s comments in red.)

2373 EMERALD HEIGHTS CT, RESTON, VA 20191 http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-RESTON-RESTON-VA-MRIS-FX7229205 (NO, NO, NO!! This one is near the subsidized housing and drug gangs! This one is not far from Dogwood Elementary and it has all turned bad.)

806 SYCAMORE CT, HERNDON, VA 20170 http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-COURTS+OF+CHANDON-HERNDON-VA-MRIS-FX7218493# (DEFINITE NO. This again is near the bad sections of Alabama St./Dr.)

2112 MONAGHAN DR, HERNDON, VA 20170http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-REFLECTION+LAKE-HERNDON-VA-MRIS-FX7229916 (A bad section, as well. Too bad, because some of these places tend to be cute, but there has been so much change in these neighborhoods.)

Being a city-dweller since the age of 17, I do feel that I am street-savvy, but when I hear of MS-13 gang activity in NoVA, I become a bit nervous. I guess it’s the unknown, and being at a different life-stage. In my 20s, I did not have a problem living in the fringe/up-and-coming neighborhoods of NYC, but today, I don’t want to take those risks. BUT, I also do not need to live in a gated community. My current neighborhood in Chicago is a wonderful cultural mix; Latino, Middle Eastern, and Eastern European. On a Sunday, in the park next to our house, my husband and I are a minority, but it doesn’t feel uncomfortable or unsafe. To be honest, I can’t imagine living in a homogenous neighborhood…I never have. In saying that, every area is different….and, maybe diversity in some cities is more peaceful and comfortable. I haven’t lived in Reston since I was a kid, and, YES, I cannot imagine such a nice suburb being dangerous, but I haven’t lived there in 20+ years and I do not want to be presumptuous or naïve.

normie---Ha ha, yeah it does seem rather funny to be worried about living in Reston/Herndon when I live in Chicago. I don’t think I would ever leave my door unlocked no matter where I lived .

liloulou—Yeah, I definitely don’t want to be in an area where there are muggings and weapons ! Dang, I thought we moved from the city to the suburbs to raise kids in safe environment . Interesting article, by the way: http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/report_shows_that_Americas_suburbs_are_getting_poo rer/1697

bmwguydc---Thanks for the recommendation in Vienna! I’ll check it out, although, we are trying to stay away from big apartment buildings. Ideally, we would like a townhome or a SFM, but I finding that I can’t be too pick—HA!

Well, thanks again everyone…you’re the best!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
As ScranBarre said, I don't have any safety issues and live in South Lakes area of South Reston. Have you considered this property.
View Property Details- 11556 ROLLING GREEN CT #15/300, Reston, VA 20191

I just did a search and the rental inventory is currently pretty slim - just as is the availability of houses for sale.

There are a few places in North Reston you many want to look at.
View Property Details- 1367A GARDEN WALL CIR #709, Reston, VA 20194
View Property Details- 1660 HARVEST GREEN CT, Reston, VA 20194
View Property Details- 1705 LAKE SHORE CREST DR #34, Reston, VA 20190
View Property Details- 1793 JONATHAN WAY #1793-K, Reston, VA 20190

Old 01-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the listings, JfromReston! It's good to hear that the current rental inventory is slim...do you think it will pick up in the Spring? I hope so; we plan on moving then. Right now, I'm doing a preliminary search to get an idea of what I'm in for.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:48 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm143 View Post
My current neighborhood in Chicago is a wonderful cultural mix; Latino, Middle Eastern, and Eastern European. On a Sunday, in the park next to our house, my husband and I are a minority, but it doesn’t feel uncomfortable or unsafe.
You'll find plenty of diversity, whether you end up in Reston, Ashburn, Vienna, Fairfax, or pretty much any suburban area east of Purcellville. (And for that matter Purcellville's starting to get quite a cultural mix, too).

Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Thanks, normie. Good to know! As you can see, I'm pretty ignorant about the area .

Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM

48 posts, read 187,353 times
Hi,

I checked out 806 SYCAMORE CT, HERNDON, VA 20170 in the link you posted and I know exactly where this home is! I actually used to live not too far away in a townhouse rental community nearby, so I'm familiar with the Alabama Dr. area.

More than the worries of crime in this particular area, my concern with this home is that it is right off of a VERY busy road (Herndon Parkway). The speed limit is *supposed* to be 35 mph. LOL Just thought I'd mention that since you said you were planning on having a child.

Anyway, this isn't a "bad" area per se. Maybe a little sketchy in parts, but not much riskier than most places, I don't think. I still live in Herndon, but closer to Sterling. I saw someone recommended looking there as well and I would too.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanks, TullyApplebottom!

Are there specific areas in Sterling that I should avoid?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
From one of your rental listings, you might look at this house in LIONSGATE as an alternative. It should be very secure as it's a gated community. They have tennis courts, swimming pool, and playground within the community. It's very close to the Reston/Herndon office parks if that's where you husband plans to work. On the other hand, if you have only have 1 car, you're not within walking distance of any shops.

13690 LEGACY CRK LIONSGATE HERNDON VA - HomesDatabase

Old 01-22-2010, 06:29 PM

48 posts, read 187,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm143 View Post
Thanks, TullyApplebottom!

Are there specific areas in Sterling that I should avoid?
I'm not familiar enough with specific neighborhoods in Sterling that I would feel comfortable recommending or steering you away from. I'm sure others can provide much better advice that I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia