Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,308,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I used to travel for work a lot, and early on in my career it was while I was under 21. None of the hotels cared that I was under 21.
Probably because you weren't a local. It's locals under 21 they have the most problems with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:30 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,633,401 times
I think you will be fine, I have gotten many rooms back when I was under 21. Good Luck with the interview!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 55,757 times
Thanks again guys!!

Also, on the last day of my stay I'll be going somewhere different, which, according to google maps, I'd have to take Dulles Toll Road (267) towards McLean at around 9:15-930am. I know about all the snarling traffic in Nova, so is the 267 the best way to go at that time in the morning, or would taking smaller roads (leesburg pike/sunrise valley drive from my research) be better traffic wise? Also, how much are the tolls for 267 at that time? I don't want to pay $5 to drive on the road for 10 minutes.

Again, thank you everyone for being so helpful!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmothy View Post
Thanks again guys!!

Also, on the last day of my stay I'll be going somewhere different, which, according to google maps, I'd have to take Dulles Toll Road (267) towards McLean at around 9:15-930am. I know about all the snarling traffic in Nova, so is the 267 the best way to go at that time in the morning, or would taking smaller roads (leesburg pike/sunrise valley drive from my research) be better traffic wise? Also, how much are the tolls for 267 at that time? I don't want to pay $5 to drive on the road for 10 minutes.

Again, thank you everyone for being so helpful!
Please let us know how it goes so we'll know the next time this question comes up. Good luck on the interview! I would take the 267. Not sure how much the tolls are, but just this once consider it a splurge. It's worth it to not have aggravating traffic right before an interview.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:46 AM

17 posts, read 45,417 times
It sounds like you might be heading to Tyson's Corner. If so, I would just take 267 to Leesburg Pike. The tolls will be $1.25 total eastbound (2 toll gates) and $.75 westbound (1 toll gate) if you enter 267 from Leesburg Pike.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 409 times
My very responsible non-drinking 20 year old college student daughter tried to check in to the Hyatt in Wash DC this morning because she has an interview for a summer internship tomorrow. She was denied check-in based on her age. She is mature and was very well dressed and her hotel room was completely prepaid through Expedia. She had a credit card. I had to scramble and impose upon a friend who lives in DC to go to the hotel and sign her paperwork in order for her to be given the room that we paid for in advance. Completely unacceptable and unreasonable. There must be some law that prohibits discrimination against adults just because they are under 21.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:51 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,076,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My guess is that the policy is there for prom nights and such when groups of kids want to rent rooms. Similar to hotels in Ft. Lauderdale that don't want spring breakers. Then the hotel can point to their policy and not check in the kids. A single person under 21 would probably not arouse much suspicion. (This is purely a guess on my part - I have no knowledge of the inner workings of hotels.)
This is my guess as well. They may not even ask, though it depends on what OP looks like, as in, do they look older 21 or like they conceivably could be-- I had people thinking I was a lot younger than I am until I got to about 30, so if I'd tried to check into a hotel at 28 they probably would've asked for ID, assuming I was under 21 (I was probably at least 27 before store clerks selling me alcohol stopped carefully scrutinizing my driver's license as if they'd find evidence it was fake...)! But, if OP looks older, it might work out. Then again, if they ask for ID (to make sure it's the correct person checking in or presenting credit card), the game is up if they want to enforce it.

Why not call and ask before going? What are they going to do if you show up anyway, check caller ID and say "nope you already called us!"

Old 01-09-2019, 05:54 PM

2,285 posts, read 4,100,575 times
One possibility would be to get a Hilton points account - often you can check in online and use your cell phone as your key. Other chains may do the same.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:18 PM

102 posts, read 540,928 times
Original post is from 9 years ago...

Old 01-10-2019, 07:24 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,438,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy1959 View Post
My very responsible non-drinking 20 year old college student daughter tried to check in to the Hyatt in Wash DC this morning

If only there was a law against registering just to bump a 9 year old thread to complain because YOU didn't know Hyatt had a 21 min age check in. Listed right there in their FAQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia