Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:55 PM

722 posts, read 1,980,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, then just claim you're an honorary Hawaiian. Or a Californian--that group seems to have a lot going on. Or maybe the Massachusetts group--they might have clam cookouts.
I believe the technical term is "clambake." Finally, I have some useful knowledge to show for my 23 years in New England!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
I believe the technical term is "clambake." Finally, I have some useful knowledge to show for my 23 years in New England!
LOL, thank you--did you see how many times I retyped that trying to figure out the right term? It was driving me crazy. Finally settled on cookout just so I could hit the button and move on.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Sonic got me thinking - There isn't a Jack in the Box either....miss their tacos from time to time. I also miss my drive-thru Starbucks. It's a bit more convenient when I have two small kids in the car and need a pick me up. I know of two, but they are both out of my way. In the Seattle suburbs they are all over. Maybe a bank will close on Braddock and I can buy the building and open a Starbucks. Yeah and a children's museum, although I hear that one is opening in Vienna soon. For as diverse as NoVA is it's amazing to note what it's missing.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Where I grew up in Philly, there was a Swiss Farm store which was a drive-through dairy store. You could stop to pick up milk, eggs, cheese, etc. Gosh, I would have loved to had that here! Can you imagine the business it would do with the soccer mom crowd?

Swiss Farms

Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
Sonic got me thinking - There isn't a Jack in the Box either....miss their tacos from time to time. I also miss my drive-thru Starbucks. It's a bit more convenient when I have two small kids in the car and need a pick me up. I know of two, but they are both out of my way. In the Seattle suburbs they are all over. Maybe a bank will close on Braddock and I can buy the building and open a Starbucks. Yeah and a children's museum, although I hear that one is opening in Vienna soon. For as diverse as NoVA is it's amazing to note what it's missing.

There was a Jack in the Box in Annandale (Rt 236 & John Marr Dr, it's a Popeye's now)....it was long time ago...early 70's? It had the first drive-thru that I can remember at a fast food joint.

I wonder why they bailed...Jack in the Box is big out west, right?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM

49 posts, read 121,292 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by datbird
Awe man there's no Sonic's out thier? Thats it, I'm not moving!

There's one in Winchester.
Woohoo! at least I can get that fix!

Quote:
Wait wait wait... your telling me there are no drive-thru Starbucks in the area. Seriously? I thought everywhere had tons of these... well at least I'll save money on Starbucks

Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

I wonder why they bailed...Jack in the Box is big out west, right?
YES!!!

I also miss Carl's Jr and In-n-Out Burger. Would LOVE to try out Sonic but don't wanna drive all the way to Winchester for one. Haven't looked at the site, they don't need another "Californian" to *itch about the area, lol.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:33 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datbird View Post
Wait wait wait... your telling me there are no drive-thru Starbucks in the area. Seriously? I thought everywhere had tons of these... well at least I'll save money on Starbucks
There is at least one but don't know where. My old boss used to drive through every morning..

Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering how long it will be until NoVA finally feels cozy and like "home" instead of just a temporary job assignment.
This is the third time we've lived up here. I think it's a fun place to live on a short term basis. But it will never be "home". You don't meet very many people who can truly call NOVA home. It seems like almost everyone is military or government.

I can't believe how many Mississippians I have run into! I do get very homesick sometimes. I miss the friendly people, the warmer weather, the soft southern accents, the slower pace, the ease of getting around without traffic, college football games in Oxford, the food, and of course, my family.

...and yes, SONIC!

Very cool website!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datbird View Post
Woohoo! at least I can get that fix!

There's one in Sterling (Countryside) and one in Ashburn (Ashbrook Commons). I patronize them frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia