Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,304,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenbound582 View Post
I would steer away from Point of Woods. I would be looking in Bristow or Gainesville, which are two cities right next to Manassas. It has some newer shopping areas, but close to all of the shopping in Manassas. The townhouses would be newer in that area and likely, better schools.

I'm very familiar with the Sudley Manor area around the Ben Lomond Community Center heading back towards Splash Down Water Park. The townhouses off of Copeland Dr. are decent size older townhouses, built in the 1970's. The neighborhood is okay, but not as nice as in the 1980-1990's. Around 2000-present, the Hispanic population increased significantly in Manassas, in general. When the housing market tanked, so did the jobs for construction. Some Hispanic families had to move, without work in our area. The foreclosure rose and many of those townhouses were left in terrible conditions. The newer the neighborhood, the better, in my opinion.

There is a neighborhood called Campbell's Trace near Sudley Manor Dr. that are newer townhouses. I would check those out. Other than that, I would steer clear of these areas: Georgetown South, Irongate, Westgate, Coverstone, and the Point of Woods areas in Manassas. Hope that helps. Again, I would be looking closer to Bristow, and Gainesville. I've been living in Manassas since 1989.

The townhomes off Copeland Dr are the ones I was talking about. Trundell Place. I would stay well away from this neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 07:21 PM

32,632 posts, read 77,853,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadgirl View Post
The area on the east side of town looks nice too. New homes and the neighborhoods seem family oriented. Im talking about Manassas Drive near the VRE station and Signal Hill. I don't know the names of the developments or the prices, but its worth a look.
That's actually the City of Manassas Park, which is separate from the City of Manassas. I was just at the "City Center" complex today visiting new friends of mine, and I was very impressed by all of the transit-oriented developments I saw on this side of town. From what I understand the other side of Manassas Park is a bit less desirable. That "City Center" complex will have 25 new businesses at full build-out housed in storefronts below the apartments. I couldn't believe how cheap luxury 1,400-square-foot 2-BR/2-BA condos were in that area. I saw many in the $150,000-$175,000 range. Here in hoighty-toighty Reston $150,000 would generally get you an 800-square-foot 1-BR condo in need of serious updating. If I decide to stay in the area I'm now seriously considering purchasing one of these condos and getting a roommate to split the mortgage. I'll go from paying well over $1,000/month now to live in Reston to paying a few hundred a month only to live in Manassas Park. Seems like a fair trade-off for me in exchange for a 45-minute commute to Tysons.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 AM

214 posts, read 489,452 times
I don't think you can commute from Manassas Park to Tysons in 45 minutes during normal commuting times. I'm from that area. MP has historically been very working-class and the schools are nothing to get excited about (MP has its own school system separate from PWC and Manassas City)--this keeps prices down. The VRE side of route 28 is much nicer than the "old" side of route 28 but its all still Manassas Park.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:46 AM

214 posts, read 489,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDino View Post
We live in a great one! Old Town. And we just put our house on the market if you're interested:

9203 Battle St, Manassas, VA | Powered by Postlets
Did you bump up an old thread just to advertise your house for sale? Lame. OP was asking about rental townhouses, not houses for sale. Your house is way overpriced, by the way. Since you put it out there for commentary.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,025,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama2dallas View Post
Did you bump up an old thread just to advertise your house for sale? Lame.
FWIW, I applaud you for bumping an old thread rather than starting a new thread to ask the same old questions that are asked over and over. You knew anyone interested in your house would want to know about the neighborhood, as well, so you saved us all the effort of having to answer those questions for the umpteenth time. Just be aware that you're not allowed to advertise on this forum. I'm not sure if that includes a post like yours but it's possible the mods will remove your link or otherwise edit your post.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I don't think you can commute from Manassas Park to Tysons in 45 minutes during normal commuting times. I'm from that area.
That was my reaction, too. An hour might be more realistic.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 AM

303 posts, read 594,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
That's actually the City of Manassas Park, which is separate from the City of Manassas. I was just at the "City Center" complex today visiting new friends of mine, and I was very impressed by all of the transit-oriented developments I saw on this side of town. From what I understand the other side of Manassas Park is a bit less desirable. That "City Center" complex will have 25 new businesses at full build-out housed in storefronts below the apartments. I couldn't believe how cheap luxury 1,400-square-foot 2-BR/2-BA condos were in that area. I saw many in the $150,000-$175,000 range. Here in hoighty-toighty Reston $150,000 would generally get you an 800-square-foot 1-BR condo in need of serious updating. If I decide to stay in the area I'm now seriously considering purchasing one of these condos and getting a roommate to split the mortgage. I'll go from paying well over $1,000/month now to live in Reston to paying a few hundred a month only to live in Manassas Park. Seems like a fair trade-off for me in exchange for a 45-minute commute to Tysons.
I read here quite a bit and judging from what I have read from you I personally do not think this is where you would be happy. I bought a home in Manassas Park in 1992 when they first did the new building over the VRE tracks. It was nice but a few years ago I went over to take a look at it and boy has it gone down hill. I moved from there in 1997. I worked on Dulles Airport property and driving 28 plus 66 was pure murder. In 1992 a good day would be 1 hour to work.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Manassas Park has a lot of good points, but (IMO) it's not the right fit for a young guy who's a city-lover like you, RR. Have faith, when the time comes for you to move next spring you'll find a roommate and a great place in Arlington or Alexandria. That's the sort of place you'll be happiest. It'll be a few years before you'll be ready to buy a house, anyway, and by then your job transfer to Pittsburgh will probably have come through.

Last edited by normie; 08-09-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,971,441 times
Quote:
I don't think you can commute from Manassas Park to Tysons in 45 minutes during normal commuting times. I'm from that area. MP has historically been very working-class and the schools are nothing to get excited about (MP has its own school system separate from PWC and Manassas City)--this keeps prices down. The VRE side of route 28 is much nicer than the "old" side of route 28 but its all still Manassas Park.
I agree, it might be 45 minutes on Sunday morning, but not during rush hour. During normal commuting times, it would be at least an hour and 15 minutes, or longer. 66 gets backed up for miles.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:06 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,971,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDino View Post
We live in a great one! Old Town. And we just put our house on the market if you're interested:

9203 Battle St, Manassas, VA | Powered by Postlets
Your house is fabulous! You've done a great job on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia