Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,683,268 times

Advertisements

I agree that most kids should walk if it less than a mile. That was always the rule in my county; however, there are definite exceptions. Normie, I bet the traffic wasn't nearly as bad 40-50 years ago when you were walking. I know that when I went to high school (1980), we lost our bus service because we were under a mile. What they didn't take into consideration is that mile was right out on a major thoroughfare (Piscataway Road if anyone is from Clinton, MD) and there was not ONE sidewalk or crosswalk to get to the school. Horribly dangerous, even 30 years ago. I can't imagine what it is like now.

My kids have always been at least 3 miles from their school, so they rode the bus (I work and my kids were at a home daycare).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,978,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Was that uphill both ways and how many feet of snow?
LOL I might be able to claim the uphill both ways but I think any kid going to school this year has a snow story to beat any of mine.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,978,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Also after school some parents need to pick up their child for a dentist appointment, tutoring, piano lesson, etc.
That's my other gripe. Kids around here are so over scheduled. Ballet lessons and violin lessons are great, but I think we load on too much. One or two activities should be enough, not something every day. IMO, kids benefit more from spending an hour after shool walking home with their friends than from having every minute of the day scheduled. Guess I'm a typical old fuddy-duddy, lol, I don't always appreciate the modern way of doing things.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,687,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
...And yes, in some cases it's just because the child is spoiled .
I would say in MOST cases that is the reason. You wouldn't believe the parents that drive their kids to the bus stop....and sometimes the bus stop is at the bottom of their driveway!

I think catching that bus teaches a kid how to get up and get going in the morning. I know some guys that employ people and they're always complaining about how their younger workers often are late, or don't show at all. All that pampering as kids might have something to do with it.

I don't think the one mile rule applies to kindergarten runs....I pick up some tykes that live very close to their schools. I love kindergartners...they WANT to ride the bus, and they enjoy riding the bus, and if asked route questions by a substitute driver...they love to help. Contrast that to high schoolers that'll just sit there and then tell you, "Duhhh, ya passed it..."

Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,459,672 times
I drive my kids in the mornings to kiss and go when we miss the bus Very annoyed to do it too. Their bus stop is two blocks away and around a corner, so it's not like the bus parks itself right outside my front door and honks. I miss the bus usually 1x in any two week period.

I also pick up sometimes only because they may have a doctors appt or some other appt to go to. We are most certainly NOT overscheduled, but my daughter had a gymnastics class at 3:00 PM in Leesburg, so unfortunately yeah, I had to pick her up at school.

We have a ton of walkers at our school, but we are about a mile away, but not direct (we'd have to tromp through the woods and across a raging stream) so not likely will we be walking anytime soon.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 AM

486 posts, read 1,666,929 times
I just had this conversation with a colleague yesterday. She drives her youngest to school because the bus comes to pick her child up at 6:15am! 6:15 in the morning is ridiculous! If she drives them to school, they don't have to leave until 7:45am. That's a huge difference. She prefers her child have a more normal sleep pattern, more time to play and do homework, enjoy time outside of the long commute to school.
If my children want to the take the bus I'll let them, however, I imagine there will be a point where some days I might have to drive them too. As for walking to school, even under a mile, there is no way in hell I will let my two young girls walk to school. I honestly wish I could, but there are too many abductions and too many traffic accidents with pedestrians (I have a friend who was actually killed a few years ago) to allow young girls to walk a mile to school. Forget about it.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,288,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That's my other gripe. Kids around here are so over scheduled. Ballet lessons and violin lessons are great, but I think we load on too much. One or two activities should be enough, not something every day. IMO, kids benefit more from spending an hour after shool walking home with their friends than from having every minute of the day scheduled. Guess I'm a typical old fuddy-duddy, lol, I don't always appreciate the modern way of doing things.

If you are a fuddy duddy then I am too and I am only in my 40's. My kids are allowed one activity at a time, with all the homework they have these days they are crunched enough for time without adding in activities most days of the week. I think they need time to unwind just like adults do and what better way to do that than to hang out with their friends for an hour after school.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:33 PM

722 posts, read 1,925,650 times
I have children at multiple schools, some public, some private. The private one does not offer a bus service so we have to drive them.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:49 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,955,870 times
I loved my after school activities growing up--that WAS my chance to unwind! People talk about lessons and teams and clubs like they're stressful, but that doesn't have to be the case. I played soccer (2-3x/week), piano, and was a girl scout in elementary school, and the only one that was at all stressful was piano, because that one had homework (practicing). The other ones were great stress relievers (and really, at a young age, sports teams and scouts are just hanging out with friends anyways!).

Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,813,087 times
In nearly 3 years I have maybe driven my child to school or picked her up maybe 5 times total. She ALWAYS takes the bus, and I love it! I would hate to have to load all three of my children in the car to take her to and from school. Having said that, we do live more than a mile away from our elementary school. Fairfax County could save a lot of money on bussing if they actually had children attend schools that were closest to them. We would be walkers to another elementary school that is only 1/2 mile from my house but instead they pay someone to drive my child to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia